The Student Room Group

How will Unis assess an application?

Due to the new A level reforms, I've read that Unis might put extra weight on GCSE's, is this true for people who DO take the AS qualification? My GCSEs weren't bad but they weren't A's in everything, and my AS grades at the moment are pretty good. I was predicted D'a for AS and in most of my tests I've been getting B's etc, so I'm hoping the same for my exams next week. But obviously I'm going to be really demoralised if I get really high AS grades and a uni doesn't accept me because despite having good AS and predicted grades my GCSEs weren't all A's. I don't want to go to Oxbridge or anything but I want to do History of Art at preferable a Russel group such as Birmingham, Manchester or York. This isn't a competitive course as law or Medicine but if they were to look at my GCSE's for this programme what subjects would they particular be interested in?
Dont worry. They are capable at looking at your overall application. If you did AS levels they will judge it on that basis and if you didnt, then they will judge it on that. Focus on the things you can do seomthing about. the most imporant aspect are your A levels.
You need to look closely at the entry requirements for each Uni you intend applying to. Each Uni will have different GCSE/AS/A2 requirements - but they will ALWAYS place the most weight on A levels because that is the highest level qualification you are taking. If you 'pass' the academic requirement, they will also look at your Personal Statement and Reference. That can be as important as your qualifications in terms of getting an offer - or not.

Useful TSR article about How to Avoid 5 Rejections : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
You need to look closely at the entry requirements for each Uni you intend applying to. Each Uni will have different GCSE/AS/A2 requirements - but they will ALWAYS place the most weight on A levels because that is the highest level qualification you are taking. If you 'pass' the academic requirement, they will also look at your Personal Statement and Reference. That can be as important as your qualifications in terms of getting an offer - or not.

Useful TSR article about How to Avoid 5 Rejections : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Very well said.
Universities will usually ask for basic GCSES (e.g. 5 A*-Cs and in some instances grade B in a specified subject) without which the OP would not be able to do a-levels anyway, so that's probably OK. However, if not, I have seen people getting rejected with full A-levels that meet the requirements, but with no C in GCSE mathematics, so in that case resit is a must.
There are A LOT of different factors admissions look for, such as your extra-curriculars, hobbies, teacher's reference and most importantly how good your personal statement is. I can tell you that, because despite only getting few Bs and Cs at GCSE, with dedication and AABB at AS, I still got offers from 5 RGs to read law.
Hope it all works out for the OP.:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I thought the OP was concerned about the comparison between those who had done AS and those who will not have in respect of the emphasis on GCSE's?

Quick Reply

Latest