The Student Room Group

UNI STUDENTS - Would you like an app that only people who are at UNI could use?

Unfortunately Facebook has lost its 'student' culture and I'm pretty sure we've all had embarrassing comments from our grandparents on out photos...

I'm an aspiring tech entrepreneur and am trying to get some feedback on whether or not any of you think an app that would only be accessible to university students would be something you would use?

Some ideas I had:
- an app for helping freshers meet new people who have similar interests and want to meet others through hobbies - i.e. someone to go to the gym with
- a 'campus' chat where everyone on campus can post messages etc.
- something more traditional like fb but only accessible to people on your campus

------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you guys think would work - what would YOU want from an app that only uni students could use?

Scroll to see replies

No because every uni campus already has a facebook page that they post on.

Facebook is still viable and you're counting it out already because you had the idea to create this app
Reply 2
It'll become just like FB. They always do

Remember Bebo, Myspace (not Uni based but for the youth mostly)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Personally I don't think a Facebook page is enough...more could be done/offered directly towards students. Your future employers can go onto your Facebook and get a pretty good idea of what you do/who you are.

None of this could happen if they were locked out...

Thank you for your opinions though :smile: any feedback is good feedback
They already are locked out, university pages aren't public you have to apply to join. Nor are your profiles if you just set it to friends only.
Original post by dwinnbrown
Personally I don't think a Facebook page is enough...more could be done/offered directly towards students. Your future employers can go onto your Facebook and get a pretty good idea of what you do/who you are.

None of this could happen if they were locked out...

Thank you for your opinions though :smile: any feedback is good feedback

...which you can do with facebook if you have half a brain.

Too many perfectly viable alternatives to this.
Reply 6
Original post by CodeJack
They already are locked out, university pages aren't public you have to apply to join. Nor are your profiles if you just set it to friends only.

Yes but they can view your profile...

So? The only thing they can see is my profile picture. None of my posts, none of my photos, nothing I'm tagged in.

Facebook has it sorted out already.
Reply 8
So? The only thing they can see is my profile picture. None of my posts, none of my photos, nothing I'm tagged in.

Facebook has it sorted out already.

Each to their own but the fact is that Facebook is not just full of young people (the aim) and it is now over 50% of the sites members are aged 25-55
Each to their own but the fact is that Facebook is not just full of young people (the aim) and it is now over 50% of the sites members are aged 25-55

Yeah they have this clever thing where they don't kick you off the site once you graduate.
Reply 10
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Yeah they have this clever thing where they don't kick you off the site once you graduate.

Yeah....it's a disadvantage and has caused loads of pensioners to use the site.

A disadvantage how?

If a young person joins facebook, then they add their young friends and join groups with shared interests. You don't have to add 40 year olds just because they're on the site.

As someone who has finished uni, it's a massive advantage that I'm still able to use the site.
Reply 13
A disadvantage how?

If a young person joins facebook, then they add their young friends and join groups with shared interests. You don't have to add 40 year olds.

No but you end up getting connected to older people...the point is Facebook has generally become a PC social network that has grown so large they have to monitor and censor stuff.

There's no space online that is simply for students with a 'What happens at uni, stays at uni' type mentality...
Reply 14
Original post by Potally_Tissed
As someone who has finished uni, it's a massive advantage that I'm still able to use the site.

Maybe that's why you don't get it...I want to target current uni students - particularly freshers. I'm not saying Facebook is a bad thing - I see how it can be very useful...what I am saying though is that you have to be more careful about what you're posting on Facebook...you can't just have a good time.
No but you end up getting connected to older people...the point is Facebook has generally become a PC social network that has grown so large they have to monitor and censor stuff.

There's no space online that is simply for students with a 'What happens at uni, stays at uni' type mentality...

But there is, the university pages. Which was already established that if your privacy settings are set up, other students can see your stuff, but not employers.

Also, if you're that scared about someone seeing a photo, don't post it online.

The current system simply works, don't reinvent the wheel.
(edited 7 years ago)

Not if your privacy settings are on point.

People who are worried about employers will have the sense to make their accounts private and/or not post things that show them in a bad light. People who aren't worried about employers won't care about a employer snooping proof facebook alternative. And what security feature would your app have that facebook lacks that would make it super private stop and employers from seeing posts/other users taking screen shots

an app for helping freshers meet new people who have similar interests and want to meet others through hobbies - i.e. someone to go to the gym with
I wouldn't use an app to help me make friends. I'd speak to people in lectures/seminars and join clubs and societies. I'd consider tinder if I was looking for a hook up (I'm not looking for a hook up)

a 'campus' chat where everyone on campus can post messages etc.
i.e the university groups that already exist on facebook. Or anonymous apps like yik yak. What would one need to post on a campus chat that they can't post on facebook?

something more traditional like fb but only accessible to people on your campus
How would this work? 1) Not all students live on or near campus and 2) not everyone living on or near campus is a university student.

I don't think this app is a great idea. Students can decide who to have as a friend on their facebook. Not only that, but they can decide which of their friends can view their posts, and which friends' posts appear on their timeline. If they really don't want old people on their facebook, they have many options. All of which are more convenient than having two social media apps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17

Also, if you're that scared about someone seeing a photo, don't post it online

Yeah that is my point exactly. People have become afraid of putting pictures online because of what other people outside of their own age group may think. Why shouldn't there be a place for people to do all this and then separate their Facebook page as being a more suitable representation of themselves.

And with regards to the uni pages I'm assuming they can see all the content which some people won't want.
Maybe that's why you don't get it...I want to target current uni students - particularly freshers. I'm not saying Facebook is a bad thing - I see how it can be very useful...what I am saying though is that you have to be more careful about what you're posting on Facebook...you can't just have a good time.

lol you're probably doing university wrong if you need to make controversial posts on facebook to have a good time
Reply 19
Original post by Shumaya
Not if your privacy settings are on point.

People who are worried about employers will have the sense to make their accounts private and/or not post things that show them in a bad light. People who aren't worried about employers won't care about a employer snooping proof facebook alternative. And what security feature would your app have that facebook lacks that would make it super private stop employers from seeing posts?

an app for helping freshers meet new people who have similar interests and want to meet others through hobbies - i.e. someone to go to the gym with
I wouldn't use an app to help me make friends. I'd speak to people in lectures/seminars and join clubs and societies. I'd consider tinder if I was looking for a hook up (I'm not looking for a hook up)

a 'campus' chat where everyone on campus can post messages etc.
i.e the university groups that already exist on facebook. Or anonymous apps like yik yak. What would one need to post on a campus chat that they can't post on facebook?

something more traditional like fb but only accessible to people on your campus
How would this work? 1) Not all students live on or near campus and 2) not everyone living on or near campus is a university student.

I don't think this app is a great idea. Students can decide who to have as a friend on their facebook. Not only that, but they can decide which of their friends can view their posts, and which friends' posts appear on their timeline. If they really don't want old people on their facebook, they have many options. All of which are more convenient than having two social media apps.

Verification is pretty simple...only allow people to sign up who have a valid university .ac.uk email address - problem solved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending