The Student Room Group

Edexcel biology Ial unit 6

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aimen.
Guys in June 2012 paper in Q#1 (a) the examiner was looking for a method of distribution of random (quadrats/samples) and he didn't accept throwing them randomly for that. Can anyone tell me another method please? x)

Explain that with tape draw a grid on the field and then randomly choose grids and place the quadrat on it
Original post by dnac5
I wrote ethical issues that you should consider if the people you want to carry the experiment out with agree to take part and for safety that the mouth piece has to be disinfected before it goes round as they might pass infection
Has anyone put anything similar :/

If I thought of this, I would've written it!
Reply 22
Original post by dnac5
I wrote ethical issues that you should consider if the people you want to carry the experiment out with agree to take part and for safety that the mouth piece has to be disinfected before it goes round as they might pass infection
Has anyone put anything similar :/

The mouthpiece thing is justified but dude if you choose those people it means they've agreed already xD

Spoiler

Did everyone get 16 at 0.05, which was like 2.162??
For random error I put that temperature fertilisation may have an effect on sex... hahah
And did everybody calculate the DIFFERENCE for the vital capacity using many people, or just the MEAN volume?
Reply 24
Original post by Aimen.
The mouthpiece thing is justified but dude if you choose those people it means they've agreed already xD

Spoiler

Yeah might be, but in a past paper I did about peoples teeth being tested this was an ethical implication so instead of leaving it blank I put that
Reply 25
Anyone want to join a Biology IAL edexcel group. I know there's quite a few but if anyone's hasn't been added to one we could do one . :smile: PM your numbers
Reply 26
Original post by MisterRabbit
For random error I put that temperature fertilisation may have an effect on sex... hahah
And did everybody calculate the DIFFERENCE for the vital capacity using many people, or just the MEAN volume?

I calculated percentage difference!
Reply 27
Original post by dnac5
Yeah might be, but in a past paper I did about peoples teeth being tested this was an ethical implication so instead of leaving it blank I put that

Lol that's a different case! In that case people didn't know their things were being used! but in this case people are actively participating!
Original post by Aimen.
I calculated percentage difference!

I used Increase in Vital capacity. Some did PERCENTAGE increase in vital capacity...idk which one is right
i did difference in VC (so increase basically)

as for the critical value part i GOT 16 but then i was like the diff between the two bars is too small, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, and so randomly wrote critical value is greater than calculated and null is accepted. fml. bad luck :frown:
i mean i knew it!!!!

Original post by xbuttermelon
I used Increase in Vital capacity. Some did PERCENTAGE increase in vital capacity...idk which one is right
Reply 30
Original post by Aimen.
I wrote that not all eggs are viable?
I know doesn't maKe sense xD

I wrote something similar, haha! I wrote maybe one or two eggs may have been inactive... no clue if it works.
Reply 31
Also, there were many safety issues. They were: prolonged use of the respirometer may be harmful, the individuals participating cannot have any breathing/respiratory problems, epilepsy, or circulatory problems, soda lime is corrosive and should be handled with gloves and eye protection must be worn and the mouthpiece must be disinfected. But I wrote there were no significant ethical issues.
Reply 32
And I think the correct test would be spearman's rank correlation test. I also chose a scatter graph. My limitations were other factors like other types of exercise or activities done during the same time period could've affected the result, one group may not be representative of the entire population, the height, age, and sex, and thats all I remember for that part...
i drew a bar graph and chose spearmans rank test, will it be rejected ?
Original post by imanarif
i drew a bar graph and chose spearmans rank test, will it be rejected ?

one of them will be rejected, what kinf of experiment did you choose, to compare the VC between different frequencies of yoga classes or as the frequency of yoga classes increase, the VC increase ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest I dont think it matters as it makes sense either way.
I did something stupid and wrote calculate means, but I put use one person with zero yoga sessions as a control... so they might be generous on that even though I didn't specify difference in VC.
Does that make sense to you?

Anybody doing chem on tuesday??
Anybody doing chem on tuesday??

me!

Btw, I also put one person without yoga classes as control.
(edited 7 years ago)
me!

Btw, I also put one person without yoga classes as control.

Yeah same here

Also doing chemistry on Tuesday, anybody was able to study effiently after this exam? I couldn't focus at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlayerBB
Yeah same here

Also doing chemistry on Tuesday, anybody was able to study effiently after this exam? I couldn't focus at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither could I so used today to relax and 'free' my mind.
How are you doing with the TM complex colours?
Neither could I so used today to relax and 'free' my mind.
How are you doing with the TM complex colours?

Yeah same!!

Doing okay I guess, but still mixing up between their colours, need to pull them off by Tuesday, wbu ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending