The Student Room Group

as sociology essay writing

can anyone help with the structure of an education essay (20 marker) just like a brief overview of how you write them.
I've learnt all the context but my essay writing is letting me down... Exam next week and I really need to crack it.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maddygratton
can anyone help with the structure of an education essay (20 marker) just like a brief overview of how you write them.
I've learnt all the context but my essay writing is letting me down... Exam next week and I really need to crack it.

Hi! I moved this to the Sociology forum for you :smile:
Hey,

A basic sociology essay structure is going to look something like this

Introduction - Define the key term or concept and provide an overview

Paragraph 1 - Theory 1
Identify the theory or theorists
Discuss the theory in the context of the question
Analyse
Link to the Q

repeat - usually 3 more times

Conclusion
Reply 3
Original post by DanE1998
Hey,

Paragraph 1 - Theory 1
Analyse
Link to the Q

Conclusion

I'm also interested in knowing the best structure as I've studied on my own from home from a book. 4 paragraphs like that seems almost too much?

Would for say an assess question this be a fine structure?

- Introduction
- View for (relevant theories etc)
- View against (relevant theories etc)
- Conclusion
Original post by Daniel6
I'm also interested in knowing the best structure as I've studied on my own from home from a book. 4 paragraphs like that seems almost too much?

Would for say an assess question this be a fine structure?

- Introduction
- View for (relevant theories etc)
- View against (relevant theories etc)
- Conclusion

View for and against will loose you evaluation marks, it is better to do

Point 1 vs Counter Point 1

Point 2 vs Counter Point 2

etc

Conclusion
Reply 5
Hey,

Paragraph 1 - Theory 1
Analyse
Link to the Q

Conclusion

where is the evaluation?
Reply 6

etc

Conclusion

can you give an example please...i think structure was my downfall last year so dont want to make the same mistakes....

If the question was 'assess feminist contribution to the family' how would tackle that?
Reply 7
Do you know if you need to evaluate in a 10 mark question
Reply 8
Original post by rtupiri
Do you know if you need to evaluate in a 10 mark question

nope
Reply 9

etc

Conclusion

How would that work if it was a question on say how Functionalist help our understanding on the family for example?
Original post by xxvine
can you give an example please...i think structure was my downfall last year so dont want to make the same mistakes....

If the question was 'assess feminist contribution to the family' how would tackle that?

Original post by xxvine
nope

Original post by Daniel6
How would that work if it was a question on say how Functionalist help our understanding on the family for example?

In this instance

Your Point is a functionalism/feminist/marxust etc theory

Your Counter is a theory or theorist which disagrees with the point you made initially

E.g: Durkheim - 4 Functions of Family vs Parsons - Two Functions
Reply 11
In this instance

Your Point is a functionalism/feminist/marxust etc theory

Your Counter is a theory or theorist which disagrees with the point you made initially

E.g: Durkheim - 4 Functions of Family vs Parsons - Two Functions

Ok, that makes sense. So how many paragraphs would you use in this scenario and how would you split it up? Just trying make sure to get a really good idea.
Original post by Daniel6
Ok, that makes sense. So how many paragraphs would you use in this scenario and how would you split it up? Just trying make sure to get a really good idea.

~4 Paras + Intro and Conc
Reply 13
~4 Paras + Intro and Conc

So 6 paragraphs in total? That seems like quite a lot a 24 mark question although I guess you have around 25 minutes to complete it.

I appreciate the responses. Would you be able to prefer highlight what each paragraph would entail in this particular question?
Original post by Daniel6
So 6 paragraphs in total? That seems like quite a lot a 24 mark question although I guess you have around 25 minutes to complete it.

I appreciate the responses. Would you be able to prefer highlight what each paragraph would entail in this particular question?

6 paragraphs is the right size

I'm not sure what you mean by the last bit
Reply 15
6 paragraphs is the right size

I'm not sure what you mean by the last bit

Excluding the introduction and conclusion (because those are obvious) what would each of the 4 paragraphs highlight for that particular question? Hopefully that's a little more clear?
Original post by Daniel6
Excluding the introduction and conclusion (because those are obvious) what would each of the 4 paragraphs highlight for that particular question? Hopefully that's a little more clear?

You essentially are going to look at four different functionalist theories of the family

Then you are going to use four appropriate counters to each theory to then justify functionalists contribution
Reply 17
You essentially are going to look at four different functionalist theories of the family

Then you are going to use four appropriate counters to each theory to then justify functionalists contribution

I'n a little confused, what are the four different functionalist theories? I'm studying from a text book only which seems to cover everything but don't know what these four theories are. I know what the functionalist believe about the family and I know the two main functionalist are Murdock and Parsons and the their points of view.
Original post by Daniel6
I'n a little confused, what are the four different functionalist theories? I'm studying from a text book only which seems to cover everything but don't know what these four theories are. I know what the functionalist believe about the family and I know the two main functionalist are Murdock and Parsons and the their points of view.

Organic Analogy

Functions of the Family

Functional Fit Theory

Warm Bath Theory
Reply 19
Organic Analogy

Functions of the Family

Functional Fit Theory

Warm Bath Theory

I recognise the warm bath theory but the other 3 don't seem to be highlighted in my text book at all. I'm taking the AS exam, are you required to know and use all these theories in AS or A2? If it's AS then I'm puzzled why my textbook doesn't have them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending