The Student Room Group

Braces at uni

Is having braces at uni weird? So a lot of people have them? I'm going to get them out on next October while I've just started uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Is having braces at uni weird? So a lot of people have them? I'm going to get them out on next October while I've just started uni

The only person who is making a big deal of it is you. No one else cares. Besides, you will have beautifully straight teeth afterwards. Surely a long term gain for a short term pain?
your weird for asking such a question
Reply 3
Original post by Angry Bird
your weird for asking such a question

Why is it weird lol
Reply 4
The only person who is making a big deal of it is you. No one else cares. Besides, you will have beautifully straight teeth afterwards. Surely a long term gain for a short term pain?

I guess your right but I've always been a low confidence person, also i have an overbite which needs to be made worse by my dentist before she does jaw surgery... 😳
I guess your right but I've always been a low confidence person, also i have an overbite which needs to be made worse by my dentist before she does jaw surgery... 😳

I did mine slightly the other way. I had braces through college and then jaw surgery in the summer before uni. I still had braces when I started uni and for a good while after.

No one cares. If anything, a lot of people will have just had theirs taken off and will understand what you're going through.

Hopefully you'll be having far too much fun to even think about your braces, except for when it comes to the dreaded tightening appointments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Oh that's good I wish I could have my braces Earliee, what we're your experiences of the jaw surgery? How long was it swollen to the extent you couldn't go out properly?
Because I will have to have it while I'm at uni also before they do it there going make my overbite worse for months which bothers me cause I'll look strange although I'm still going ahead with it
I'm going to have them in uni! :tongue: I don't think it matters.
Reply 8
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I'm going to have them in uni! :tongue: I don't think it matters.

Haha it's good you think so positively I'm worried about food stuck in the wires while I eat too
Oh that's good I wish I could have my braces Earliee, what we're your experiences of the jaw surgery? How long was it swollen to the extent you couldn't go out properly?
Because I will have to have it while I'm at uni also before they do it there going make my overbite worse for months which bothers me cause I'll look strange although I'm still going ahead with it

I was probably noticeably bruised and swollen for a good couple of weeks. I looked like I'd been in a fight for the first few days but otherwise it wasn't too bad. You won't have to stay hidden in a darken room for too long :wink:

In terms of going out, the most annoying thing was the soft diet. If your surgery is similar to mine, you're looking at six weeks plus of not chewing anything particularly hard, and the first few weeks you'll struggle to open your mouth. So that may influence what you feel like doing when out and about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll probably be the only one, but no-one will make a big deal out of it.
Original post by ForestCat
I was probably noticeably bruised and swollen for a good couple of weeks. I looked like I'd been in a fight for the first few days but otherwise it wasn't too bad. You won't have to stay hidden in a darken room for too long :wink:

In terms of going out, the most annoying thing was the soft diet. If your surgery is similar to mine, you're looking at six weeks plus of not chewing anything particularly hard, and the first few weeks you'll struggle to open your mouth. So that may influence what you feel like doing when out and about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think it was worth it? Also how long were you in hospital
I think I'm gonna find it hard to eat a aid diet, what did you eat?
Uni is a big place, who would care.

You are over thinking

Let it go
Do you think it was worth it? Also how long were you in hospital
I think I'm gonna find it hard to eat a aid diet, what did you eat?

I was out really quickly. If I remember correctly, the op was the Wednesday and I was out on Friday. They just need to see you can eat and drink.

Yeah, it probably was worth it. And if you're going to do it, doing it whilst you're a student is definitely the best option.

I can't remember much about what I ate. But soups etc, weetabix with lots of milk. Anything you can puree or is small enough that you don't need to chew, like bolognaise. It's a good excuse for lots of jelly and ice cream :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it weird lol

I had braces at uni and I got them removed a month ago, there was nothing weird about it lol
I feel relieved because I had them off a few weeks ago. But I doubt you will not be the only one
Original post by ForestCat
I was out really quickly. If I remember correctly, the op was the Wednesday and I was out on Friday. They just need to see you can eat and drink.

Yeah, it probably was worth it. And if you're going to do it, doing it whilst you're a student is definitely the best option.

I can't remember much about what I ate. But soups etc, weetabix with lots of milk. Anything you can puree or is small enough that you don't need to chew, like bolognaise. It's a good excuse for lots of jelly and ice cream :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agh that's gonna be bothersome for me, I love eating so much. Did they do regular checks on you? What do you do when your in there?
Tbh I was reluctant about it first but changed my mind cause I want to look better!
Agh that's gonna be bothersome for me, I love eating so much. Did they do regular checks on you? What do you do when your in there?
Tbh I was reluctant about it first but changed my mind cause I want to look better!

I think I saw them a week after and then a couple of months later. It's not something they really need to follow up on.
In hospital you'll have post op obs the first night, but if you're fit and well you won't need much monitoring after that.
I just read/slept/watched dvds while I was there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nobody gives a fuc*k if you wear braces or not
I feel like braces are one of those things that everyone always gets really self conscious about and freaks out like 'I'm going to have them at sixth form, or uni', but then irl no one really cares? because people get it, you're wearing them to get better teeth. you(+other people) don't even notice them after a while, so don't stress :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest