The Student Room Group

POLL: what would you rather own for £1500?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xylas
I wouldn't want to hook a desktop to a TV tbh.

Also I prefer a similarly performing laptop to a desktop, I'd only choose a desktop if it was MUCH more powerful i.e. can play games in 4k.

I'm not after 4k gaming per se, but if I had £1500 to spend I would consider going down that route.

For the same price desktops are much much more powerful. Yes you can get laptops that cun run new games at decent settings but an equivalent desktop is probably 2/3 the price if not cheaper
Reply 41
Original post by samb1234
For the same price desktops are much much more powerful. Yes you can get laptops that cun run new games at decent settings but an equivalent desktop is probably 2/3 the price if not cheaper

If you have £1500 what would you choose?
[QUOTE=xylas;64786055]Cool what would you choose out of the options? ok!!! so if i have to choose i will choose the first one !!!!:smile:
Original post by xylas
If you have £1500 what would you choose?

I have a gaming laptop simply because i dont really have room for a desktop, and then i have a decent android phone which is as good as an iphone but much cheaper. In all honesty i wouldnt pick any of the pre made options you have - they are a bit confused tbh. What do you need? If you need a computer, then buy a laptop or desktop. If you need a phone, buy a phone. But its not like you have to do the things like your poll eg theres bo reason you cant get a desktop tv and phone for instance
Reply 44
I have a gaming laptop simply because i dont really have room for a desktop, and then i have a decent android phone which is as good as an iphone but much cheaper. In all honesty i wouldnt pick any of the pre made options you have - they are a bit confused tbh. What do you need? If you need a computer, then buy a laptop or desktop. If you need a phone, buy a phone. But its not like you have to do the things like your poll eg theres bo reason you cant get a desktop tv and phone for instance

I think you're confused. It's not hard 60 people have already chosen.

There are infinitely more options I could have put but I have shortlisted them to the 4 in the poll.
£1500 extra in my bank
Assuming you're paying £400+ for an iPhone 6 and a couple of hundred quid for a good quality/size TV, I'd be much more inclined to pour the rest of that budget into a gaming desktop rather than a laptop and get fae better performance (and switch the TV out for a monitor depending on how you game).

For me personally, if given £1500, it would be all spent on a gaming laptop, although I live on a cruise so don't have space for a larger setup and don't have need for a phone! I guess the Surface Book + GPU is the closest thing on your list, but it wouldn't be my choice as the GPU is fairly mediocre, I'd rather have something like a Razer Blade or Aorus X3 since I have zero use for the Book's tablet mode.
Original post by xylas
I think you're confused. It's not hard 60 people have already chosen.

There are infinitely more options I could have put but I have shortlisted them to the 4 in the poll.

Haha no I am not. I'm trying to make you see that giving random people who don't know anything about your situation a list of 4 choices and telling them to pick one is a complete and utter waste of time. They don't know anything about what you currently have, how much space you have etc etc. Take the laptop vs desktop as an example. If you ask people with a lot of space and play a lot of pc games, they will all say you should buy a gaming desktop over a laptop. That isn't useful to you if really you want to be able to do work in coffee shops and occasionally play some games. Just think about what is most important to you and buy accordingly - buying what is most important to 60 random people on the internet is not the best idea
Gaming laptops suck. 17" inch screen is awful. Small keyboard is awful.
Custom build a machine powered by gtx 1070. Buy an android. Buy a cheap laptop (not for gaming).
Seems like a much better route to go, the Desktop PC will be £700-850 with an i5, gtx 1070, ssd & hdd. If nvidia release a 1060 Ti go for that if you want to save money, this generation the cards are efficient and powerful.
Basic 4k monitors are around £300
A cheap laptop or 2 in 1 you can get for £300.
A nice android phone you can get on contact.
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE=samb1234;64786855]Haha no I am not. I'm trying to make you see that giving random people who don't know anything about your situation a list of 4 choices and telling them to pick one is a complete and utter waste of time. They don't know anything about what you currently have, how much space you have etc etc. Take the laptop vs desktop as an example. If you ask people with a lot of space and play a lot of pc games, they will all say you should buy a gaming desktop over a laptop. That isn't useful to you if really you want to be able to do work in coffee shops and occasionally play some games. Just think about what is most important to you and buy accordingly - buying what is most important to 60 random people on the internet is not the best idea i totally agree !!!!:smile: :wink:
Reply 50
Haha no I am not. I'm trying to make you see that giving random people who don't know anything about your situation a list of 4 choices and telling them to pick one is a complete and utter waste of time.

Waste of time for you maybe.

If you don't want to answer the poll then don't.
Reply 51
Original post by IAmYourdog
Gaming laptops suck. 17" inch screen is awful. Small keyboard is awful.
Custom build a machine powered by gtx 1070. Buy an android. Buy a cheap laptop (not for gaming).
Seems like a much better route to go, the Desktop PC will be £700-850 with an i5, gtx 1070, ssd & hdd. If nvidia release a 1060 Ti go for that if you want to save money, this generation the cards are efficient and powerful.
Basic 4k monitors are around £300
A cheap laptop or 2 in 1 you can get for £300.
A nice android phone you can get on contact.

Seems like most people would go the gaming laptop route
Original post by xylas
Seems like most people would go the gaming laptop route

Appears so.
But in your sitaution, if you've got the room get a desktop PC, it's more convenient for gaming.
And comparing power to price by looking at PC world prices, a custom built machine for £800 out powers the laptops they have for £1300.
So if you do go custom built route you should have enough to purchase a cheap laptop to do your work on (it doesn't have to be powerful because it's not difficult for PCs to run internet explorer or microsoft word)
Also not forgetting, with a desktop machine if you choose to do so you can upgrade it easily, so maybe 2-3 years down the line and you want more FPS you could swap out a GPU or put another 1 in.
Reply 53
Original post by IAmYourdog
Appears so.
But in your sitaution, if you've got the room get a desktop PC, it's more convenient for gaming.
And comparing power to price by looking at PC world prices, a custom built machine for £800 out powers the laptops they have for £1300.
So if you do go custom built route you should have enough to purchase a cheap laptop to do your work on (it doesn't have to be powerful because it's not difficult for PCs to run internet explorer or microsoft word)
Also not forgetting, with a desktop machine if you choose to do so you can upgrade it easily, so maybe 2-3 years down the line and you want more FPS you could swap out a GPU or put another 1 in.

What would you choose out of the poll options?
Original post by xylas
What would you choose out of the poll options?

I chose the desktop option because im a PC gamer.
Original post by xylas
Yeah I'm not interested in stuff you already own. For the purposes of this poll you don't get to keep your old stuff (btw your macbook will be much worse than comparable computers if you buy today).

In that case I'd like Option 3 (ps4/xbox one + 4k tv + ultrabook) instead, sell the useless console and 4k TV (don't watch TV anyway) and just keep the ultrabook :P
Reply 56
Id actually go for the Suface Book, it seems like a nice laptop (abeit super expensive), I already have a desktop pc with a 1080p display (good enough for me).
Surface Book, totally. That's about the only thing on that list I'd actually use. That said, I think I'll just take a top-spec Surface; I've got the Wedge keyboard and mouse already so I'd likely use those three things as my main setup :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending