The Student Room Group

Let's get this straight, laptops vs desktops

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xylas
Actually it is the majority of TSR users on this forum who want a laptop, I'm still making up my mind while saving up.

haha. Where have you got the majority from? If you ask such a blatantly biased question which is in no way a real representation of the real world than of course people are going to be queuing up to buy this mythical laptop that has 7685459gb of ram 6 gpus has 3 years battery life, weighs 5g and is given to them for free. Maybe if you had asked a real question, like if you had x pounds to spend would you get a gaming laptop or desktop you would get real answers, but with the question as it is of course the majority of people want this mythical laptop
Original post by TajwarC
Dust II has been a bit strange for me, getting between 220-300 when before it was like 290-300 solid

I never really go on dust 2 tbh, if you have it in the map pool you just play it constantly
Reply 42
No you're out of touch. Look at the new model.

Anyway, my point is that the best possible laptop would have similar performance to a desktop. I have already said how this would be possible with external devices etc.
Original post by samb1234
I never really go on dust 2 tbh, if you have it in the map pool you just play it constantly

Neither do I but I play on deathmatch severs which are 24/7 Dust II. I wonder if its the fact that there's 18 players or 128tick that affects it.. I dunno
Original post by xylas

Anyway, my point is that the best possible laptop would have similar performance to a desktop. I have already said how this would be possible with external devices etc.

What external devices will increase the performance of a laptop? Last time I checked you can't upgrade RAM/GPU externally
Original post by xylas
If a desktop and a laptop have the same performance which one would you prefer? What reasons would you choose a desktop with worse performance over a laptop?

Don't mention cost in your answers, assume money is infinite.

Craptops are better than Desktop Computers
Original post by TajwarC
Neither do I but I play on deathmatch severs which are 24/7 Dust II. I wonder if its the fact that there's 18 players or 128tick that affects it.. I dunno

Fair enough, I don't really play deathmatch so don't have that issue. And dust 2 is not a good map imo, inferno is where it's at
Reply 47
haha. Where have you got the majority from? If you ask such a blatantly biased question which is in no way a real representation of the real world than of course people are going to be queuing up to buy this mythical laptop that has 7685459gb of ram 6 gpus has 3 years battery life, weighs 5g and is given to them for free. Maybe if you had asked a real question, like if you had x pounds to spend would you get a gaming laptop or desktop you would get real answers, but with the question as it is of course the majority of people want this mythical laptop

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4076215

You should know this since you have posted on my thread :facepalm:

See Acsel's answer if you want someone who proves you wrong.
Reply 48
Original post by TajwarC
What external devices will increase the performance of a laptop? Last time I checked you can't upgrade RAM/GPU externally

Check again
Original post by 999tigger
Have you got a £10,000 laptop or desktop?

I got my laptop and computer for £1.20 and 50p respectively
Original post by xylas
Check again

Still pretty sure you can't...And surely once you've added all these "external upgrades" the laptop essentially just becomes a desktop because you can't move it anywhere without all the hassle?

If you want portability just buy a laptop, if not, get a desktop..it's simple lol
Original post by xylas

The newest model I can find on MSI's website has 980M GPUs in SLI, feel free to link me to a newer model as I have limited internet allowances and don't want to spend it googling laptops.

Either way, your point is wrong. Even if there is a laptop with desktop grade 980s in SLI, it would not even remotely match the performance a quad Titan setup could yield.
(edited 7 years ago)
Fair enough, I don't really play deathmatch so don't have that issue. And dust 2 is not a good map imo, inferno is where it's at

Haha yess
There's no reason whatsoever to opt for a
Desktop if a laptop has the same performance. It's a stupid question lol.

If we're just talking about in general though, i still prefer laptops. There's no game my laptop can't run (although it wouldn't matter regardless since i game on consoles anyway).

Plus I'd look like an idiot carrying a desktop to uni.
I do not understand what you're trying to work out by making an incredibly skewed question.
Original post by TajwarC

Razer blade stealth has this nifty unit you connect via USB. External GPU and RAM upgrade, it basically makes the ultrabook on par with a gaming desktop (or so the company claims)
Reply 56
First link.
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT80S-6QF-TITAN-SLI-29TH-ANNIVERSARY-EDITION.html#hero-overview

Fine, perhaps nowadays they can't get 100% the same performance but it's closer now then ever before. I made this thread because I see this as a realistic scenario in the near future. So if you assume laptops can match the best desktop performance then the real differences in the form factors become apparent and it becomes a much more interesting choice.
Original post by Another
Razer blade stealth has this nifty unit you connect via USB. External GPU and RAM upgrade, it basically makes the ultrabook on par with a gaming desktop (or so the company claims)

But I'm assuming this only works with that particular ultrabook. Also 12.5" screen. Just lol, any actual gamer/designer/etc will know that's a joke, why compromise your experience for the sake of having a detachable ultrabook with less performance? It's basically a desktop with a fancy and small monitor imo. Thanks for letting me know though, but I don't believe that this supports OP's argument
Reply 58
Original post by TajwarC
Still pretty sure you can't...And surely once you've added all these "external upgrades" the laptop essentially just becomes a desktop because you can't move it anywhere without all the hassle?

If you want portability just buy a laptop, if not, get a desktop..it's simple lol

Well you can sorry to have to update you.

I can't be bothered answering the same thing again and again, see above responses especially Acsel's post. Short answer, laptop can do everything desktop can with absolute advantage of portability. What you have said is not an advantage of a desktop.
Original post by Lawliettt
There's no reason whatsoever to opt for a
Desktop if a laptop has the same performance. It's a stupid question lol.

If we're just talking about in general though, i still prefer laptops. There's no game my laptop can't run (although it wouldn't matter regardless since i game on consoles anyway).

Plus I'd look like an idiot carrying a desktop to uni.

Not true.

Money, upgradebaility and repairs are three reasons.

The ops question is the stupid thing.

People should just get the compiter that suits their indivdual needs. best for you doesnt make it the best for everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending