The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS History Unit 1 Option D resit - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Anyone doing politics, presidency and society really need help?
For civil rights, if we got a question on peaceful protest would it be something like 'how far did peaceful protest improve the status of African Americans' and 'how successful was peaceful protest'? What else could it be on?
For civil rights there will almost certainly be a 1945-55 question, so why is everyone saying its between peaceful protest and black power? The early period is so easy, all they can ask is either 'do they make progress' or 'why do they make progress'.

I'm only revising for Vietnam as they will always ask a question on vietnam but they may not for Korea, and Korea is harder anyway. I think they will most likely ask 'why the US withdrew from Vietnam' or 'why they couldn't the defeat communist forces'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SlimShady96
For civil rights there will almost certainly be a 1945-55 question, so why is everyone saying its between peaceful protest and black power? The early period is so easy, all they can ask is either 'do they make progress' or 'why do they make progress'.

I'm only revising for Vietnam as they will always ask a question on vietnam but they may not for Korea, and Korea is harder anyway. I think they will most likely ask 'why the US withdrew from Vietnam' or 'why they couldn't the defeat communist forces'.

How are you so sure. Could you phrase the questions for civil rights :tongue:
Original post by Coolsul98
How are you so sure. Could you phrase the questions for civil rights :tongue:
Well just look at all the past(June) papers. In theory you only need to memorise 2 types of essays.

On the 'why do they make progress' questions you'll have to evaluate what was the most important factor for progress.

So for instance the 2011 question was 'How far do you agree that the Second World War was the main reason why the position of African Americans improves in the years 1945-55?'

Here you would have a paragraph on the Second World War impact, then have another 2 on civil rights groups and federal government. Then decide on what was the main reason in the conclusion by saying Second World War changed attitudes, which gave rise to civil rights groups who put pressure on the federal government/supreme court, therefore yes the Second World War was the main reason for progress during this period.

For the 'do they make progress' questions you would simply evaluate to what extent progress has been made.

The 2012 question was 'How far do you agree that the years 1945-55 saw only limited progress in improving the status of African Americans?'

Here I would do 3 paragraphs evaluating improvement in de jure/de facto terms in the economic, political and social aspects. Then conclude by saying economically yes but limited, politically/legally yes but limited, and socially no; so it would be accurate to say that this period only saw limited progress in the improvement of the status of African Americans, and this is evident because they were still campaigning in the 1960's.

It really is a piece of cake compared to the A2 Kaiser to fuhrer exam, but my biggest problem is timing, any tips for that? 😂
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45

I doubt why they withdrew is gonna come up because doesnt that question refer to nixon? And nixon came up last year. Surely they'd ask a question on kennedy
Original post by Kjade
I am!
do you have any notes and high grade essays that you could give me, I'm self teaching and its the hardest one.
Is anyone doing Autocracy to Dictatorship: 1881-1924; Stalin's Russia
Original post by bsbnah
I doubt why they withdrew is gonna come up because doesnt that question refer to nixon? And nixon came up last year. Surely they'd ask a question on kennedy
Firstly, last years question was 'How for do you agree that Nixon's policy towards Vietnam was remarkably successful?'
Horrible question in which you would solely focus on Nixon.

This is vastly different to a withdrawal question because yes I would have a paragraph on Nixon policies but you could have so many other paragraph such as:
Tet offensive, costs of the war, public/congressional opposition at home, North Vietnamese strengths(guerilla tactics, support from ussr/china, southern support/ Viet cong), US weaknesses( failure of tactics, troops morale/behaviour, failure to win hearts and minds)

Yes increased involvement could quite easily come up also but I would assume it would focus more on Eisenhower than Kennedy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
I'm doing Civil Rights and Vietnam, I think the same as you guys for Civil Rights it will be MLK, WW2, Peaceful protest or Black Power. I'm less sure for Vietnam, but I'm hoping for a 'why did the USA become increasingly involved' or 'why did the USA withdraw from xSouth East Asia'.
I don't think Korea will come up, at least I hope it doesn't!

What did you get on this paper last year? I got a D 58 UMS, 2 marks of a C

Hasn't Kennedy come up recently? I was thinking Lbj or Eisnehower.. But something. tells . Me Truman will come up cause he's barely covered
Reply 50
Original post by zikra98
Hasn't Kennedy come up recently? I was thinking Lbj or Eisnehower.. But something. tells . Me Truman will come up cause he's barely covered

I would've thought that a question on eisenhower and kennedy together would come up
im resitting Russia in Revolution and Stalins russia! Anyone else??
Original post by jodie1912
im resitting Russia in Revolution and Stalins russia! Anyone else??

I'm doing Stalin's Russia :smile: I'm hoping for collectivisation and terror
Anyone re-sitting european reformation?? HIS1C

ANYONEEEE?! :redface:
Original post by CathyHeathcliff
I'm doing Stalin's Russia :smile: I'm hoping for collectivisation and terror

i hate the terror, but i think it'll come up!! I hope the war comes up, wouldn't mind collectivisation but i don't like it.
Are you revising the stuff that came up last year?
Reply 55
Should i revise Nixon's presidency? 1969-74?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arfaB
Should i revise Nixon's presidency? 1969-74?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm reading over it and making sure I know it but I'm not placing as much emphasis on it as last year

I don't necessarily think it will be an early question for civil rights as a 1945-55 question came up in 2014. I really hope it does though. I think MLK is more likely as he came up in 2013
Reply 58
Original post by dauntlesstraitor
I'm reading over it and making sure I know it but I'm not placing as much emphasis on it as last year

Are you doing Korea too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arfaB
Are you doing Korea too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No are you? I didn't revise it last year either, I just focused on Vietnam

Quick Reply

Latest