The Student Room Group

WJEC Language 2016 official prediction thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun
Umm I only study OMAM and I do Heroes and AIC...However for OMAM-it could've been Curley's Wife...but she came up in the January paper..so there's a possibility of Slim...and maybe for Curley's Wife there would be a possibility that there would be a question based on women's class, victims of society etc..so for that, you could do Curley's Wife, Aunt Clara and the ladies at the cathouses...hope this helps!

I was thinking the exact thing!! and that is what I am preparing for.
By the way, I think a Curley or a Carlson essay question came up on the January resit(can't exactly remember which) . So great thing that it is very unlikely to come up on 23 May
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Does anyone do Never Let Me Go (Unit 2)? It's such a long book:frown:
Reply 22
Original post by MBK14
I thought it was Candy last June and Curley in January? What contextual points are there for Slim if anyone could help? Thanks

I think He represent the ideal character that all the itinerant workers wanted to be in the sense that he is respected and looked up to and has authority. His qualities is what Curley desires as he is the boss's son but is mot respected. He lacks the qualities to govern others
Reply 23
Original post by TracyEmu
I think He represent the ideal character that all the itinerant workers wanted to be in the sense that he is respected and looked up to and has authority. His qualities is what Curley desires as he is the boss's son but is mot respected. He lacks the qualities to govern others
I agree, especially with him being the epitome of the migrant worker - he is the 'prince of the ranch'. Thanks
Reply 24
Any tips on unseen poetry?? How to approach it successfully??
Reply 25
Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun
Umm I only study OMAM and I do Heroes and AIC...However for OMAM-it could've been Curley's Wife...but she came up in the January paper..so there's a possibility of Slim...and maybe for Curley's Wife there would be a possibility that there would be a question based on women's class, victims of society etc..so for that, you could do Curley's Wife, Aunt Clara and the ladies at the cathouses...hope this helps!

What contextual points could you make on Aunt Clara?? She is a really minor character in the novella. Any thoughts?
Reply 26
Original post by TracyEmu
Any tips on unseen poetry?? How to approach it successfully??

You can either approach both poems simultaneously, comparing as you go through, but this can get complicated so instead it might be best to:
- state how the poems link
- analyse what the poet wants you to think about in poem 1
- switch to poem 2 and do the same, but link to how its different or similar to poem 1.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/19199.pdf Page 35-42 is good for poetry examples but this is the old spec so the essay questions are the old style
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by MBK14
You can either approach both poems simultaneously, comparing as you go through, but this can get complicated so instead it might be best to:
- state how the poems link
- analyse what the poet wants you to think about in poem 1
- switch to poem 2 and do the same, but link to how its different or similar to poem 1.

http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/19199.pdf Page 35-42 is good for poetry examples but this is the old spec so the essay questions are the old style

Not bad. Thanks
Any predictions for TKAM or HB please?
Any predictions for AIC/Heroes? Mr Birling hasn't come up at all in previous years (at least not on the papers available online). For Heroes, Nicole hasn't come up since 2012. Not sure about the theme questions though.
anyone else doing to kill a mockingbird and is like what do i revise, haha top bantz LOL OMG WAT DO I DO NOW AHAHA
Reply 31
Original post by Ella2228
I think Simon or Jack could come up on the LOTF exam as these characters haven't featured on any wjec exams before :smile: @Willls
As for AVFTB, I'm not too sure. :frown:

yeah, my teacher believes that simon will come up this year in LoTF
Reply 32
Try reading some chapters and major events of the book that hasn't come up on the extract question and make notes on the type of mood and atmosphere created or how the character speaks and behaves. Basically, you are making your own predictions. Simple
Reply 33
Does anybody have any predictions for which character will come up for the An Inspector Calls question WJEC unit 2 literature paper?
Original post by TMTGGG
Does anybody have any predictions for which character will come up for the An Inspector Calls question WJEC unit 2 literature paper?

I think instead of trying to predict what will be on the paper you should make sure you revise the context and the characters inside out, as these types of questions are the ones that always come up. This will ensure that whatever question you will get you will be able to reflect it on the setting and time it was set in. This will get you the highest marks. If you go on bite size they have many things you can revise from to make sure you look at all aspects of the play so you will be able to answer whatever question is thrown at you. GOOD LUCK !!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by brainzistheword
not exactly answering the question but what texts are on which paper and which comes first - is OMAM on Unit 1 or what? Thanks :smile:

Paper 1 For literature

Section 1 OMAM since that is your chosen text.

Section 2 unseen poetry

Paper 2 is the other two texts you've studied.
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Paper 1 For literature

Section 1 OMAM since that is your chosen text.

Section 2 unseen poetry

Paper 2 is the other two texts you've studied.

Thank you so much - that's really helpful :smile:
Slim is represented as royalty, he is the prince of the ranch. Unlike George who represents every man, Slim is seen to " walk with a majesty". Slim is filled with many strengths but unlike the other characters in the novel- has no weaknesses. He is seen a role model to the other ranch workers and is like a magistrate when it comes to getting to the bottom of things and fixing them. For example old Candy's dog getting put down was never going to happen as Candy was not allowing it, until Slim spoke and said it was best as it was of no use. Even though Slim told Carlson to kill the dog he made sure Carlson give it a burial and even said to poor old Candy he could have one of his pups. He cares for others unlike the other workers who only care for themselves. This is also seen when Lennie crushes Curley's hand and Slim sticks up for him and said to Curley that if any one asks he caught it on a machine.
Predictions

OMAM- Relationship between Curley and Curleys Wife or Crooks or theme on Isolation

AIC- Sheila or how relations between Sheila and the parents change in the play or a theme on Rich Vs Poor

Heroes- Theme of war or forgiveness or how Francis' relations with LaSalle variates in the novel.

Obviously simpler things like character presentation could come up. But evaluating how two characters change and how their relationships are strained seem like appropriate questions to ask since there is a lot of discussion points yet it seems challenging.

You never know they may end with some toughies. Good luck!I did Lit last year and thought I'd give my predictions.
Original post by MBK14
I thought it was Candy last June and Curley in January? What contextual points are there for Slim if anyone could help? Thanks

Slim represents Steinbeck because Slim doesn't get caught up in the idea of the American Dream and Steinbeck is critical of the the American Dream believing it offers false hope.

Slim also isn't disrespectful to Curley's Wife, giving her attention and acknowledging her as "good looking" -- unlike the other ranch works -- so Steinbeck could believe that women don't deserve to be discriminated against.

Despite Slim being the "prince of the ranch", he is infact lonely, as seen when he plays Solitaire (a game for one). This emphasises the exteme loneliness experienced during the Great Depression, no matter where you stand in the social heirarchy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending