The Student Room Group

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
You made an account for this? Get a life.

Original post by Broscientist
Do you really think your trivial use of anecdotal evidence proves anything?

How long will it take for people to put 2 and 2 together to finally realize that anecdotal is ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS.

Not really. Anecdotal evidence can be an indication of edge cases to prove others wrong. It is absolutely true that a History grad starting an entry level i-banking/high finance job will be earning more than a grad engineer starting at an entry level (non oil and gas) engineering job.

Really does depend on the job. With 80% of these grad jobs not specifying a degree subject and the preference of STEM to non-STEM being 50:50 for hiring managers of said jobs - source is earlier in this thread, one can come to a conclusion that there is no significant premium (in earnings or chances of landing jobs) in getting a STEM degree in and of itself for most grad jobs.

I love how people automatically assume that Humanities degrees = Checkouts at ASDA or Barista at Starbucks, FYI, look through the grad destination surveys for stem subjects and you'll find a decent amount of them in low-skill jobs too.

I agree with what the other guy said about Engineering being the only real STEM course that leads to a defined, above average career which requires the degree to even think about applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you really think your trivial use of anecdotal evidence proves anything?

How long will it take for people to put 2 and 2 together to finally realize that anecdotal is ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS.

My example pretty much shows that STEM grads don't always earn more than Arts grads.

You seem to be butthurt over that which shows a lot of you tbh.
Original post by Princepieman
Not really. Anecdotal evidence can be an indication of edge cases to prove others wrong. It is absolutely true that a History grad starting an entry level i-banking/high finance job will be earning more than a grad engineer starting at an entry level (non oil and gas) engineering job.

Really does depend on the job. With 80% of these grad jobs not specifying a degree subject and the preference of STEM to non-STEM being 50:50 for hiring managers of said jobs - source is earlier in this thread, one can come to a conclusion that there is no significant premium (in earnings or chances of landing jobs) in getting a STEM degree in and of itself for most grad jobs.

I love how people automatically assume that Humanities degrees = Checkouts at ASDA or Barista at Starbucks, FYI, look through the grad destination surveys for stem subjects and you'll find a decent amount of them in low-skill jobs too.

I agree with what the other guy said about Engineering being the only real STEM course that leads to a defined, above average career which requires the degree to even think about applying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

prsom
That's entirely beside the point. Authors are intelligent. Artists are intelligent. An author may not be able to cure cancer, but they are able to enrich the lives of many people in their work.

A primary school teacher is a person who has an awful lot of knowledge and training. Someone who is a brilliant biochemist might run away screaming when faced with 30 six year olds. Teaching is subjective. I teach in a way that's very flexible and I have a good laugh with the kids. Other teachers teach in an entirely different way and are still good teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 345
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Lmao my other brother did Neuroscience at university. My sister's graduating with a degree in Languages. She's being paid more in her first job than he did.

So whatever you are saying is just either generalisations or total BS.

This is one of the reasons why non stem graduates get paid less than their stem counterparts. They take a sample of 2 and extrapolate to the entire population. Anyone who knows about how evidence and statistics work know this is invalid and misleading. A sample of 2 is far too small to draw meaningful conclusions from.
Reply 346
Can be handy when writing official reports, etc

People who can do those are 10 a penny, people who can do maths gets the money.
Reply 347
My example pretty much shows that STEM grads don't always earn more than Arts grads.

You seem to be butthurt over that which shows a lot of you tbh.

I am sure there are people with no qualifications earning more than graduates, does that mean a degree is pointless?
Original post by Maker
This is one of the reasons why non stem graduates get paid less than their stem counterparts. They take a sample of 2 and extrapolate to the entire population. Anyone who knows about how evidence and statistics work know this is invalid and misleading. A sample of 2 is far too small to draw meaningful conclusions from.

http://www.emolument.com/career_advice/sciences_vs_humanities_students_salaries_who_earns_more

Granted the above is skewed by the type of users this site attracts (usually high tech, high finance, consulting, accounting, engineering etc type professionals), but it gives you an idea that for high paying jobs - the results are not what you are preaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker

did you read the thread of posts you were replying to or just make assumptions to use as an excuse for a cheap shot?
Original post by Maker

My sample is small yes but it disproves OP's idea that if you do an Arts subject you're doomed and destined to work in low menial jobs.

Genuine question, do you make people who do Arts subjects/want to do it feel bad about doing something they love because you're a troll or you suffer from low self esteem and so are childish enough to think that insulting people will make you feel bigger?
Anecdotal evidence is not representative of the whole sample we are discussing (humanities). Nobody is disputing that an/a arts/humanities grad may have a higher starting salary. But is this the case on average?

Edge cases indicate that there may be a possibility of it happening, not the likelihood. In the end, we deal with what is most representative for the sample we are discussing, not with Joshua's aunt, who is earning 50k pounds from home.

And I have not even touched on the biggest issues of anecdotal evidence - validity and biased selectivity.
And where did I say that this was impossible for arts/humanities grads? What I wrote above is relevant to you as well. Or are your relatives representative of all arts/humanities graduates?

I love it when people get personal.

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates

You didn't say that no. But you seem to be have this idea like OP that STEM grads always earn more when my example shows that they don't always.
Reply 351
Original post by cherryred90s
What did you study at uni and what do you do now other than belittle non stem students in your spare time?

Why is telling the truth belittling, if you can't handle the truth, go elsewhere.
Reply 352
http://www.emolument.com/career_advice/sciences_vs_humanities_students_salaries_who_earns_more

Granted the above is skewed by the type of users this site attracts (usually high tech, high finance, consulting, accounting, engineering etc type professionals), but it gives you an idea that for high paying jobs - the results are not what you are preaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The salaries are interesting, they seem very high even after 15 years. Where do the numbers come from?
Original post by Maker
Why is telling the truth belittling, if you can't handle the truth, go elsewhere.

i suspect you're not being entirely honest and know as well as we do that it's not your 'telling the truth' that people 'can't handle'
Original post by Maker
The salaries are interesting, they seem very high even after 15 years. Where do the numbers come from?

The site does say 'crowd-sourced pay data'. But as I mentioned, the data is skewed towards a demographic with good jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker
People who can do those are 10 a penny, people who can do maths gets the money.

thats not the reason stem get jobs, they get them because of actually useful skills like coding, designing solutions to engineering problems (doesnt really use any maths), finance employ from both stem and non stem so dont use those careers either.
Original post by madmadmax321
thats not the reason stem get jobs, they get them because of actually useful skills like coding, designing solutions to engineering problems (doesnt really use any maths), finance employ from both stem and non stem so dont use those careers either.

managing people and projects tends to be the more valued skill at higher level jobs in all fields though
Reply 357
The site does say 'crowd-sourced pay data'. But as I mentioned, the data is skewed towards a demographic with good jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I rather doubt the figures because average salaries in Britain is around £30,000 pa and the figures in the link is over £100,000 pa. I think very few people earn over £100,000 pa even after 15 years experience so I think wherever the figures are from, they are not representative of UK salaries and the B A vs B Sc is not resolved..
Reply 358
Original post by Implication
i suspect you're not being entirely honest and know as well as we do that it's not your 'telling the truth' that people 'can't handle'

There is a lot of me people can't handle, I could not give a toss whether they can or not.
Original post by Maker
I rather doubt the figures because average salaries in Britain is around £30,000 pa and the figures in the link is over £100,000 pa. I think very few people earn over £100,000 pa even after 15 years experience so I think wherever the figures are from, they are not representative of UK salaries and the B A vs B Sc is not resolved..

I'm aware. That's why I said the data is skewed towards those with good jobs. It does show however, that if one gets a good job, the pay differences are pretty much negligible for either degree type. Which is the point I'm trying to make here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending