The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

I need help with biology. i find it really hard to recall keywords to gain marks, i normally know what im trying to explain but i always miss keywords that lose me marks
Original post by KappaRoss
I need help with biology. i find it really hard to recall keywords to gain marks, i normally know what im trying to explain but i always miss keywords that lose me marks

I'm exactly the same... Does anyone maybe have a list of key words and their definitions that they would mind sharing?
can anyone explain to me the significance of lumen sizes and how they relate to the blood vessel functions? simple idea but really can't get my head to remember it? (:
Please, can someone please attach the locked Breath and Depth papers because our teacher gave us the June 2015 f211 and f212 for our mock. You could also send it to my email. Thanks in advance
Original post by OddFuturez
can anyone explain to me the significance of lumen sizes and how they relate to the blood vessel functions? simple idea but really can't get my head to remember it? (:

Veins have a large lumen so that it can allow for a large volume of blood to flow; it also has a lower pressure due to their being less contact between the blood and the inner surface (tunica interna) of the vessel compared to its cross-sectional area- (this essentially results in a slow rate of blood flow). Having a low pressure is vital because, unlike arteries, veins can't withstand them and will burst as result.

Arteries have smaller lumen so the blood is forced through at faster rates due to the increase in pressure.
Anyone have stuff on:
> the heart
> communicable diseases
> Transport in plants
im the most stuck on these
Anyone have stuff on:
> the heart
> communicable diseases
> Transport in plants
im the most stuck on these

Do you have the OCR revision guide? I can take a pic of the pages if you want, I find it explain it quite well
How is everyone doing in breadth? my class are all really struggling, not too bad on depth but in breadth the highest mark was 38/70. Do I go to a crap school or is this normal?? I'm predicted an A but seriously doubt it's going to happen now :confused:
Original post by Skipper12345
Do you have the OCR revision guide? I can take a pic of the pages if you want, I find it explain it quite well

i have the text book and the CGP OCR As one
Original post by Leona-L
How is everyone doing in breadth? my class are all really struggling, not too bad on depth but in breadth the highest mark was 38/70. Do I go to a crap school or is this normal?? I'm predicted an A but seriously doubt it's going to happen now :confused:

Hey, I get what you mean! My grade keeps fluctuating between A's and even D's... It's horrific! I'd say it's pretty normal though, there are many people in a similar position to you. But don't worry, if you're predicted an A that shows you have the intelligence and ability to ace the exams, so don't doubt yourself. :smile:
Original post by Hassanh
Hey, I get what you mean! My grade keeps fluctuating between A's and even D's... It's horrific! I'd say it's pretty normal though, there are many people in a similar position to you. But don't worry, if you're predicted an A that shows you have the intelligence and ability to ace the exams, so don't doubt yourself. :smile:

Thank you Xx
I just hope the grade boundaries will be ridiculously low, or tat a decent grade on depth will even things out.
Just curious how in depth has everyone learnt clonal expansion? Also has anyone learnt symptoms for communicable diseases or just literally what pathogen causes each disease? Thanks :smile:
i have the text book and the CGP OCR As one

Sorry, yeah that's the one I ment! Sometimes I go on YouTube, there's loads of helpful videos and stuff... You cold try that?
Also I have the locked specimen papers if people need them :smile:
Original post by Leona-L
Thank you Xx
I just hope the grade boundaries will be ridiculously low, or tat a decent grade on depth will even things out.

Yeah, I hope the boundaries are low too! This new specification is just irritating. And hopefully, I'll make sure I don't cram before the exam.
Original post by 0799NCB
Just curious how in depth has everyone learnt clonal expansion? Also has anyone learnt symptoms for communicable diseases or just literally what pathogen causes each disease? Thanks :smile:

Personally, I've just learnt it as the rapid proliferation of plasma cells (is it plasma cells? Or does clonal expansion occur before differentiation?) after clonal selection, but i still don't really know how to put clonal selection into words all that well...
And as for diseases, I've just learnt the diseases on the specification and what causes them, nothing else, but i might be mistaken in doing that...

Did we move to the 3 Domain System because of difference in ribosomes of archae and prokaryotes? I know that there's evidence for differences in organisms in Cytochrome C, but is that the evidence they use?
Original post by Gogregg
Personally, I've just learnt it as the rapid proliferation of plasma cells (is it plasma cells? Or does clonal expansion occur before differentiation?) after clonal selection, but i still don't really know how to put clonal selection into words all that well...
And as for diseases, I've just learnt the diseases on the specification and what causes them, nothing else, but i might be mistaken in doing that...

Did we move to the 3 Domain System because of difference in ribosomes of archae and prokaryotes? I know that there's evidence for differences in organisms in Cytochrome C, but is that the evidence they use?

You were right before in saying that clonal expansion occurs before differentiation. However, I don't believe clonal expansion is strictly held to plasma cells. Say you had a T-helper cell that bound its receptors to the antigens on an APC. That process in itself is clonal selection, but then it'd undergo clonal expansion which, as you said, was just rapid division. Then those divided cells would undergo differentiation.
Original post by Gogregg

We moved to the 3 Domain system because of cellular and molecular differences between archae and bacteria. They had different: bonds of lipids in their cell membranes as well as having different composition and structure of flagellae- the cellular evidence. Also, they had different: histones and RNA polymerase- the molecular evidence.
Original post by 0799NCB
Also I have the locked specimen papers if people need them :smile:

Do you have the mark schemes for them?
Original post by emx123
Do you have the mark schemes for them?

Hi yes I do :smile:

Quick Reply