The Student Room Group

Girls do you like investment bankers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingFTw
And personally I think that investment banking is poor mans play xD Programming is where the money is (apparently)

Lol not in the UK.. Maybe in the US tech hubs, salaries here in the UK are pretty atrocious in comparison to the US. Even then, most US top tech guys hit an income ceiling whereas the finance lads and ladettes continue to outpace them income wise. Software guys can make decent coin at quant hedge funds/prop shops tho.

The only real way to f you money is by taking on huge risk in investing or by starting your own conpany.
Reply 21
In all honest all this is relative. A £100,000 may seem like a huge salary for some but a rediculously small one for others
Reply 22
And goodbye half this thread?
o.O
Original post by KingFTw
In all honest all this is relative. A £100,000 may seem like a huge salary for some but a rediculously small one for others

Who's talking about £100k? That's not exactly insane for the careers we're on about here - i.e. high finance/top tier tech.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
It was an example, I could have said the same with half a million or even a million pounds.
Original post by KingFTw
It was an example, I could have said the same with half a million or even a million pounds.

Fair game. Dunno how it relates to my quote to you tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Lol no. Going to Warwick this year for Data Science (Maths, Stats and CompSci).

Ofc, IB or consulting is the goal. Would be a nice change from helping others get into it to me landing the offers myself - hit rate in terms of advice has been 90% so far, we shall see.

woah... that is impressive af
Original post by Trapz99
woah... that is impressive af

Yeah, it's cool how all these people I helped are now in the industry or getting internships in the industry. Although I guess it skews my perception of how hard it is to get into these gigs :tongue:
Yeah, it's cool how all these people I helped are now in the industry or getting internships in the industry. Although I guess it skews my perception of how hard it is to get into these gigs :tongue:

Out of interest, what do you mean by "helping" into the industry? Not like you can do interviews/AC's for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zayn is Bae
Out of interest, what do you mean by "helping" into the industry? Not like you can do interviews/AC's for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Practice interviews, CV advice, practice AC exercises, practice case studies etc.. Of course the ultimate performance is down to them, not disputing that. 'Help' = advice.
Practice interviews, CV advice, practice AC exercises, practice case studies etc.. Of course the ultimate performance is down to them, not disputing that. 'Help' = advice.

Ok, so basically you did nothing of importance and did what everyone does for someone they know who has an interview coming up. Thanks for clarifying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, so basically you did nothing of importance and did what everyone does for someone they know who has an interview coming up. Thanks for clarifying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, I see what you're trying to do here. But I cba, so you're welcome for the clarification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, I see what you're trying to do here. But I cba, so you're welcome for the clarification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what's he trying to do
^That was me, #accidentalanonymous
Original post by Trapz99
Let me add this: they work 80+ hours a week and sometimes pull all-nighters. Also, they only get 2 weeks holiday a year at best.

That sounds perfect because the guy will be paying for their plush apartment but he'll always be at work while she's balls deep with her civil service guy who finishes at 5pm every day
Original post by Anonymous
what's he trying to do

Pretty obvious that they're trying to make me look like a dunce.. Of course they don't understand the full context of what I'm talking about and think I added 0 value by helping out 1 or 2 'buds', with some interview prep. Ignorance is bliss.
Reply 36

Posted from TSR Mobile

true
Don't listen to any of the wishy washy answers on this site. Being a "banker" implies you are well paid, powerful and probably cocky... all traits are very highly sought after by the vast majority of women.
(edited 7 years ago)
The insecurity is real. I can confirm that my finance friends clean up very nicely when they're out - of course markets people are more free to go out than IBers. It really does depend more on your personality than your occupation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Occupation becomes more important to women when they start nearing 30 and that fertility time bomb is getting closer to detonation.
Original post by difeo
true

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending