The Student Room Group

Chemistry unit 6 June 2016

Can we please discuss upcoming chem unit 6 here? 'cuz I couldn't find a thread for that!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3
does anyone have any notes omg :O
guys please help me lol
Reply 4
I found this on the internet! Seems kinda helpful but we actually need to revise experiments from AS level aswell
And yea my chem teacher said they'll probably give us boiling point apparatus this time!
Reply 5
Checking in :hello:
Original post by Aimen.
I found this on the internet! Seems kinda helpful but we actually need to revise experiments from AS level aswell
And yea my chem teacher said they'll probably give us boiling point apparatus this time!

What is a GRIGNARD and should we know it? :s-smilie:
Do any of you guys have the George facer Edexcel As / A2 chemistry unit 3 & 6: Chemistry Laboratory Skills in pdf?
Original post by Ayman!
Checking in :hello:

Welcome on board :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Could someone explain 3(b)(iv) to me on this paper? I just don't get how to do it. @samb1234, mate mind taking a look? I know you don't do U6 but this is U5 redox really
Original post by Ayman!
Could someone explain 3(b)(iv) to me on this paper? I just don't get how to do it. @samb1234, mate mind taking a look? I know you don't do U6 but this is U5 redox really

Of course. I have worked through it now and checked the answer is right, where have you got up to?
Reply 11
Original post by samb1234
Of course. I have worked through it now and checked the answer is right, where have you got up to?

Okay, so here's my train of thought - the oxidation number of V in VO3- is +5. There are 2.5 x 10-3 mol of VO3- ions in the initial solution, so same moles of V5+. Now we know that moles of MnO4- 1.5 x 10-3 and MnO4- : e = 1:5, so moles of e is 5 x 1.5 x 10-3 = 7.5 x 10-3 mol. Now is it just as simple as comparing the molar ratio of our initial ion and the electrons lost? I know by observation that the answer is most likely V2+.

On another note, I'm surprised with the boundaries - 35/50 for an A*! I thought I did quite poorly because I got 43.
Original post by Ayman!
Okay, so here's my train of thought - the oxidation number of V in VO3- is +5. There are 2.5 x 10-3 mol of VO3- ions in the initial solution, so same moles of V5+. Now we know that moles of MnO4- 1.5 x 10-3 and MnO4- : e = 1:5, so moles of e is 5 x 1.5 x 10-3 = 7.5 x 10-3 mol. Now is it just as simple as comparing the molar ratio of our initial ion and the electrons lost? I know by observation that the answer is most likely V2+.

On another note, I'm surprised with the boundaries - 35/50 for an A*! I thought I did quite poorly because I got 43.

That's what I did. The managanate needs 7.5x1-^-3 moles of electrons, and there are 2.5x10^-3 moles of vanadium so each individual vanadium must donate (7.5x10^-3 /2.5x10^-3) 3 electrons. Therefore if the final charge is +5, and each vanadium has lost 3 e- as part of the process, than it must have been +2 before
Original post by Ayman!

and those boundaries are almost physics unit 6 level haha
A question, do we have to know about Vanadium for Unit 6? (Just for confirmation I'm asking)
Reply 15
Original post by samb1234
That's what I did. The managanate needs 7.5x1-^-3 moles of electrons, and there are 2.5x10^-3 moles of vanadium so each individual vanadium must donate (7.5x10^-3 /2.5x10^-3) 3 electrons. Therefore if the final charge is +5, and each vanadium has lost 3 e- as part of the process, than it must have been +2 before

Thanks a lot man! I understand it now. I was trying to find an alternative using something other than ratios. Guess it isn't meant to be. :lol:
Original post by Ayman!
Thanks a lot man! I understand it now. I was trying to find an alternative using something other than ratios. Guess it isn't meant to be. :lol:

you could do a similar thing just by using the ratio of mno4 to v
Original post by Ayman!

I'm a bit confused, why did you multiply 1.5 x 10-3 by 5 ?
Reply 18
Original post by Adorable98
I'm a bit confused, why did you multiply 1.5 x 10-3 by 5 ?

Mole ratios?
Original post by Ayman!
Mole ratios?

I see thnx, do you know how to answer 3 (d)

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending