The Student Room Group

Cyclists Society MK2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaronK
Classic shameless plug

:banana:
Reply 121
Am I right in thinking that if I raise my saddle by 2 inches, it will push my torso slightly more forward towards the bars and front end if I don't change the stem length/angle or bars?

Need a 400 or 420mm seatpost in order to be able to climb efficiently. Up from the 350mm currently fitted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally got back out cycling this week after a horrifically lazy year.

It was hell but completely my own fault for letting myself get unfit. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BaronK
Classic shameless plug

What's the difference between Normalised, Weighted Avg, and Avg Power?

First time riding with a power meter, it says Average Power was 220, Normalised was 231, and Weighted Average 225
Reply 124
Original post by exhaled page
What's the difference between Normalised, Weighted Avg, and Avg Power?

First time riding with a power meter, it says Average Power was 220, Normalised was 231, and Weighted Average 225

Avg. power I believe is a simple average of your power readings over a ride.

Normalised power and weighted average do the same thing, take into account the fluctuations in power and give you a more accurate indication of your effort.
Guys, how do you decide on pedals (and shoes)?
Original post by brainhuman

Have you used shoes and pedals before or is this the first time?
Original post by JamesN88
Have you used shoes and pedals before or is this the first time?

First time.
First time.

I'm not sure if I'm committing a faux pas since I haven't had my request to join approved yet but here goes :smile:

Your main choice is between which system to use, SPD-SL(road or SL for short) or SPD(Mountain Bike).

The advantage of using SL's is that you get more power transferred through the pedals, the downside is that the cleats protrude out from the sole of the shoe and they are completely impractical to walk anywhere in. I found out that walking around 200 yards a day in them(going in and out of work) is enough to wreck the cleats within a month.

SPD cleats are recessed in and the shoes have gripped soles for walking which makes them much more practical if your cycling involves any amount of walking. If your cycling consists of just stepping out the door and going for a ride I'd get SL's otherwise get SPD's. Personally I use my bike for shopping, formerly used it for commuting that involved a morning train ride and also do trips on the west coast of Scotland that often involves getting on and off ferries so have found SPD's much more practical. Whichever you chose they're both light years ahead of wearing trainers. In terms of cost I've always found Shimano to be good quality and reasonably priced.

SL:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-r540-spd-sl-clipless-road-pedals/rp-prod5369

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-sh11-cleats/rp-prod28895

SPD:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759

Wow!

That was really informative.

Thanks a lot!
Wow!

That was really informative.

Thanks a lot!

No worries, one final word of advice would be whatever you do don't try and be a cheapskate like me and buy Aldi specialbuy cycling shoes.

They have a habit of the cleats loosening so your foot is still locked to the pedal but you can't unclip. :smile:
Nice post. Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with your SPD recommendation when I finally go clipless. I would probably be walking a bit and at £19 it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Great thing is that if I decide I want to get better SPD pedals I can without it costing me much, if I decide I want to get SPD-SLs then I expect the time it takes me to wear through the shoes will be probably be the kind of time I need to decide whether I'm happy with SPDs or not. Though tbh I think I'll probably end up sticking with the SPDs, I wouldn't want to be dashing up the supermarket and having to switching into my trainers every time so I didn't ruin my cleats, if I'm understanding this right. Very inconvenient just for a quick ride.
Original post by alexs2602
Nice post. Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with your SPD recommendation when I finally go clipless. I would probably be walking a bit and at £19 it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Great thing is that if I decide I want to get better SPD pedals I can without it costing me much, if I decide I want to get SPD-SLs then I expect the time it takes me to wear through the shoes will be probably be the kind of time I need to decide whether I'm happy with SPDs or not. Though tbh I think I'll probably end up sticking with the SPDs, I wouldn't want to be dashing up the supermarket and having to switching into my trainers every time so I didn't ruin my cleats, if I'm understanding this right. Very inconvenient just for a quick ride.

Yeah it's a real pain. I've since bought a pair of these but it's still not great walking in them. I tend to just stick to my SPD's.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-spd-sl-pedal-cleat-covers/
Yeah it's a real pain. I've since bought a pair of these but it's still not great walking in them. I tend to just stick to my SPD's.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-spd-sl-pedal-cleat-covers/

After a bit further research, I'll see how things go and if it turns out that long distance cycling becomes uncomfortable I could get both sets. Shouldn't be much work to just throw on SPD-SL pedals when I fancy a long ride. Perhaps not the most cost efficient but sounds like it might be the best way to go about it. I don't know if I do or will ride far enough for it to be worth it. I daresay the SPDs would be my everyday pedal though.
Original post by alexs2602
After a bit further research, I'll see how things go and if it turns out that long distance cycling becomes uncomfortable I could get both sets. Shouldn't be much work to just throw on SPD-SL pedals when I fancy a long ride. Perhaps not the most cost efficient but sounds like it might be the best way to go about it. I don't know if I do or will ride far enough for it to be worth it. I daresay the SPDs would be my everyday pedal though.

I've done rides of 60 miles in both and they're fine. Although I haven't measured it to make a comparison I imagine the marginal amount of extra power from SL's adds up to a fair bit over time. Whichever you choose I can't recommend enough to go clipless.
I ride SPD-SLs as the majority of time spent on my bike is training, but when i need to pop into town I just use normal shoes with them. It's a bit irritating at first but you get used to it pretty quickly.
Reply 136

SPDs are definitely where you should start, double sided is such a help when first learning.
(edited 7 years ago)
Visited the parents for the first time since christmas... exmoor was beautiful today :suith:

Spoiler

Amazing!
image.pngHaving problems calculating my ftp, as every loop I find, my power is affected by descents and constant stops.
Anyone know a good way of accurately estimating it?
Did a loop today, 300W average but it was clamped down to 250W by descending. Gave up at 43mins since I had to compensate for the lost in wattage every time

Quick Reply

Latest