The Student Room Group

AQA AS Psychology PSYA1/PSYA2 Revision Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redapplesparkle
Monday is just memory and developmental with a lot of research methods thrown in! :smile: No psychopathology until next week! It's on the paper with stress and social.

Old spec is memory and developmental (attachment,) but new spec also has social psychology.
Original post by Blonde_Pretzel
Paper 1: Social Psychology, memory and attachment (with research methods incorporated)
Paper 2: approaches with bio psychology, psychopathology and research methods
This video is good for research methods, and also has many good revision studies for paper 1 too.
https://youtu.be/8OnL5tm0cmk

Thank you very much!
What kind of research method questions do you think will be incorporated
Can someone explain Moscovici's procedure and findings? I didn't think we needed to know it in much detail but my teacher told me it was one of the big studies we need to know and I don't really understand it...
Original post by Abirella
Exam is tomorrow and I'm doing last minute revision now. :frown:

your exam is on a sunday?!
Original post by vezuxiii
What kind of research method questions do you think will be incorporated

Most likely asking about research methods used in a given study. Like it will tell you about a study such as a memory test and ask short answer questions like what experimental design was used, weaknesses of it and what controls were used.
Original post by Charliegriffin_
your exam is on a sunday?!

Upps no it's on monday sorry.. :biggrin:
Upps no it's on monday sorry.. :biggrin:

haha was going to say thats strange! :redface:
Original post by MadHannah23
Can someone explain Moscovici's procedure and findings? I didn't think we needed to know it in much detail but my teacher told me it was one of the big studies we need to know and I don't really understand it...

Moscovici - 1969
Procedure: Moscovici used an experimental method in which participants were shown 36 blue slides of different intensity, they were then asked to report the colours. All participants were female and tested in groups of six, one condition had two confederates who consistently said the slides were green every time, whereas in condition two the confederates gave different answer e.g. blue then green. A control was also used consisting of participants only, no confederates.

Results: In condition one it was found that consistent minority had a greater effect on majority (8.42%) compared to the inconsistent condition (1.25%). A third of the participants judged the slide to be green at least once.
Original post by lucasbaker
Most likely asking about research methods used in a given study. Like it will tell you about a study such as a memory test and ask short answer questions like what experimental design was used, weaknesses of it and what controls were used.

Thanks for the reply!
What do you do if you don't have enough space to write the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many confederates were there in Asch's study?
Because I get different numbers on different websites so is it ok if I say 6 confederates and 1 true participant?
How many confederates were there in Asch's study?
Because I get different numbers on different websites so is it ok if I say 6 confederates and 1 true participant?

My book says between 6 and 8. But is it really necessary to state the amount? I just learn it as the naive participant was put into a group with the other participants being confederates. I hope that's fine, I'll definitely state the amount if I still remember it. Just hope it doesn't make a difference.
Original post by kaykaayy
My book says between 6 and 8. But is it really necessary to state the amount? I just learn it as the naive participant was put into a group with the other participants being confederates. I hope that's fine, I'll definitely state the amount if I still remember it. Just hope it doesn't make a difference.

Yeah same. I just keep worrying about the level of detail I need to put in. I probably will state an amount as long as it's under 10 confederates. :biggrin:
Original post by kaykaayy

Sounds good enough
It's good to have statistics in there but it doesn't have to be exact.
The only numbers I've memorised for that particular experiment is the percentages of their findings.
Reply 75
Hey guys, predictions on 12 markers on Monday ?!! MOST LIKELY to come up ??
Original post by max711
Hey guys, predictions on 12 markers on Monday ?!! MOST LIKELY to come up ??

It's the new syllabus :angry: so they're all equally likely to come up :frown:Please the great test Gods, let it be the animal studies on attachment
Does anyone know the difference between mundane realism and ecological validity as well as external/internal validity. Also do we need to know how to do the sign test
Original post by TooMuchJuice
Does anyone know the difference between mundane realism and ecological validity as well as external/internal validity. Also do we need to know how to do the sign test

They're similar but different types of representativeness:
Mundane realism is whether the results of the experiment can be applied to everyday life and ecological validity is if the results will bear the same outcome in different environmental settings.

However internal validity is to do with the methodological part of the experiment - does the experiment study what it is meant to? Are there any flaws in the method? E.g. if an experiment is meant to study the effect of sleep and test grades, it will have high internal validity if it does exactly that.

External validity is the same thing as representativeness and generalisation of the study. If the experiment can be generalised, it is said to have high external validity.

Hope it makes sense!
Original post by Namita Gurung
They're similar but different types of representativeness:
Mundane realism is whether the results of the experiment can be applied to everyday life and ecological validity is if the results will bear the same outcome in different environmental settings.

However internal validity is to do with the methodological part of the experiment - does the experiment study what it is meant to? Are there any flaws in the method? E.g. if an experiment is meant to study the effect of sleep and test grades, it will have high internal validity if it does exactly that.

External validity is the same thing as representativeness and generalisation of the study. If the experiment can be generalised, it is said to have high external validity.

Hope it makes sense!

yeah thanks that helped a lot. So for example, zimbardo's study lacked internal validity as he played the prison warden/ loftus and palmer's study lacks external validity as students were used which isn't representative of older age groups who may have more accurate perceptions of speed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending