The Student Room Group

Could someone tell me what this sentence means? (French)

En fait, le regard qu’il nous est permis de poser à titre posthume sur la vie de Sagan.

I get the gist, but the grammar seems quite complex with 'le regard qu'il nous est permis'. (The look that it allowed us?) Would this sentence make sense alone or is 'le regard' probably referring back to something?

Many thanks!
Original post by elen90
En fait, le regard qu’il nous est permis de poser à titre posthume sur la vie de Sagan.

I get the gist, but the grammar seems quite complex with 'le regard qu'il nous est permis'. (The look that it allowed us?) Would this sentence make sense alone or is 'le regard' probably referring back to something?

Many thanks!

Hi! :h:

Is there any more context to this? :smile:

/cc. @FrenchUnicorn
Original post by elen90

Many thanks!

'In fact, the view that we are entitled to posthumously ask about 'Sagan's' life....'

um im not quite short about the poser a titre posthume but that's the closest i could think of, and btw this is definitely not a full sentence, probably an extract right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by elen90

Many thanks!

Basically what you said makes sense ^^. But what is the complete sentence tho ?
And what the user down below said is great :

Original post by minjinoor
'In fact, the view that we are entitled to posthumously ask about 'Sagan's' life....'

um im not quite short about the poser a titre posthume but that's the closest i could think of, and btw this is definitely not a full sentence, probably an extract right?

Indeed the sentence is a bit complicated, but you translated it right :yep:
Original post by elen90

Many thanks!

It's a slightly unusual way to say it, but the sentence asks what we now think of Sagan given that he's been deceased for quite a while.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's a slightly unusual way to say it, but the sentence asks what we now think of Sagan given that he's been deceased for quite a while.

^^^
Thanks, I struggled to find the right words in English so I didn't say anything :innocent:
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
^^^
Thanks, I struggled to find the right words in English so I didn't say anything :innocent:

Always best to keep a low profile. :lol:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Always best to keep a low profile. :lol:

:mmm:
Reply 8
Thanks guys. Yeah it's not a full extract but most of the paragraph is quite complicated!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by elen90
Thanks guys. Yeah it's not a full extract but most of the paragraph is quite complicated!

Spoiler

Omg I read all of that with not a care in the world and shocked myself! :zomg: I need to recover :lol: @FrenchUnicorn will be able to help you, she's a pretty amazing person for this sort of thing. I'd rather avoid inaccuracies :yes:
Original post by elen90

Spoiler

What a beautiful text ! Where does this essay come from ?

Original post by iEthan
Omg I read all of that with not a care in the world and shocked myself! :zomg: I need to recover :lol: @FrenchUnicorn will be able to help you, she's a pretty amazing person for this sort of thing. I'd rather avoid inaccuracies :yes:

Ty :h:
Dw about it , it is very complicated to understand for a non native, and you won't have to go through such a thing outside a book :yep:

Dw about it , it is very complicated to understand for a non native, and you won't have to go through such a thing outside a book :yep:

I mean I read it and it was easy to understand!!
Original post by iEthan
I mean I read it and it was easy to understand!!

Ahhhhh My bad ! I read too fast xD

Well this is amazing omg o_o !!! Because this is quite hard :O !
Well done !!!! :jive:
Reply 13

From here, a book review for 'Bonjour Tristesse'. I'm studying the book for my A2s and will have to write an essay on it. Have you read it? :h:
Original post by elen90
From here, a book review for 'Bonjour Tristesse'. I'm studying the book for my A2s and will have to write an essay on it. Have you read it? :h:

I did not but now I really want to !! And thanks for the link :yep:
If you need help for your essay let me know I'm a French native, also when you finish it don't hesitate to post it here and tag me on it , I'd be happy to correct it :h:
Reply 15
I did not but now I really want to !! And thanks for the link :yep:
If you need help for your essay let me know I'm a French native, also when you finish it don't hesitate to post it here and tag me on it , I'd be happy to correct it :h:

Thank you, that would really help! It's difficult to write them in 270 words - I'll let you know if I'm struggling on one ^_^
Original post by elen90
Thank you, that would really help! It's difficult to write them in 270 words - I'll let you know if I'm struggling on one ^_^

Good luck with it :yep:
And don't hesitate , feel free to PM if you ever need help :five:
Original post by elen90

fellow edexcel alevel student?? :biggrin: the word limit is such a pisstake :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by minjinoor
fellow edexcel alevel student?? :biggrin: the word limit is such a pisstake :frown:

I hate it. Would be so much simpler and save so much time if I didn't have to count every word. You just can't get a decent quality of language and fit everything in... Good luck to us though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending