The Student Room Group

brunel or greenwich

I am considering the computer science(network computing) course at brunel or the computer systems and networking at Greenwich.

I know brunel is higher ranked however satisfaction wise Greenwich is much higher.

Location and costs are similar for me.

which should I choose?
Original post by niteninja1
I am considering the computer science(network computing) course at brunel or the computer systems and networking at Greenwich.

I know brunel is higher ranked however satisfaction wise Greenwich is much higher.

Location and costs are similar for me.

which should I choose?

I would suggest brunel because of it being better in terms of rankings because there is a lot of difference between places ranked with a 30 place difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I would say Brunel too, for the same reasons as jontyfernz- it will give you much better employment prospects and probably a better degree experience. Satisfaction is so subjective, if you end up HATING Brunel, you can always change later, and remember, just because Greenwich is ranked higher overall, doesn't mean it will rank higher for you, the individual!
Ignore rankings and all other league table nonsense. Its just a marketing ploy by newspapers and Universities. It has no meaning in terms of choosing which Uni to study at. Employers don't use them and other Universities arent impressed either.

Choose the course you will find the most interesting - because that is what you go to Uni for. and that will give you the best time at Uni , and probably the best degree result. Look at course content (which optional units would you actually choose?) and extras like ops. for study abroad, work placements etc. This is the stuff that WILL make a difference when you start looking for a job.
Original post by returnmigrant
Ignore rankings and all other league table nonsense. Its just a marketing ploy by newspapers and Universities. It has no meaning in terms of choosing which Uni to study at. Employers don't use them and other Universities arent impressed either.

Choose the course you will find the most interesting - because that is what you go to Uni for. and that will give you the best time at Uni , and probably the best degree result. Look at course content (which optional units would you actually choose?) and extras like ops. for study abroad, work placements etc. This is the stuff that WILL make a difference when you start looking for a job.

Of course, it is most important that you find a course which interests you the most, but it seems that OP cannot decide on that, otherwise the decision would have been made already. I think rankings are important if there is a significant difference, which in this case, I think there is, the main one being that Greenwich is a modern university, whereas Brunel is not, and Greenwich is noted for being at the lower end of the modern university rankings as well.
Original post by couruthim
I think rankings are important

From what I can tell you are still taking A levels and your understandings of both University education and the subsequent employment arena are therefore essentially non-existent. Too many school leavers obsess about rankings, league tables etc without having a clue what any of the data actually means - and then get to Uni and realise they made entirely the wrong choice because they were fixated with these silly 'tables' rather than making a considered choice on whether they actually wanted to study that subject at that Uni.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
From what I can tell you are still taking A levels and your understandings of both University education and the subsequent employment arena are therefore essentially non-existent. Too many school leavers obsess about rankings, league tables etc without having a clue what any of the data actually means - and then get to Uni and realise they made entirely the wrong choice because they were fixated with these silly 'tables' rather than making a considered choice on whether they actually wanted to study that subject at that Uni.

I disagree. The rankings and student satisfaction surveys are, as you rightly say, data. However, this decision, as with the decision about 'whether you want to study that subject at that uni' are both based on data and factors such as rankings. Just because you think you want to study one subject at one uni does not mean that you do- the realisation of the wrong decision might happen without even going to the uni. Certain modules might look interesting, but upon studying them you might realise that you hate them. So no, the decision should not be entirely based on your perception of a subject in the context of the university, the university itself matters too.
Reply 7
Hi just to make everyone aware the courses are very similar and both Universities have positives and negatives. Greenwich delves very deep into networking but only offers one programming module and language. Brunel does 3 programming modules but does not delve as deep into networking.

Brunel is a campus Greenwich is not.

Brunel is higher ranked but lower satisfaction.
Reply 8
Just accepted Brunel
Just accepted Brunel

Congrats mate,we could be meeting very soon
Original post by jontyfernz
Congrats mate,we could be meeting very soon

Great to know
Great to know

Will you be staying on campus?
Original post by jontyfernz