The Student Room Group

Does one exam happen at same time for everyone?

Lets say Edecxel maths GCSE. If I have my exam at 8:30 does that mean everyone else whose taking the same exam sits it at 8:30?
Original post by MeerabBieber
Lets say Edecxel maths GCSE. If I have my exam at 8:30 does that mean everyone else whose taking the same exam sits it at 8:30?

Within 30 minutes of the official start time of that paper, yes! (Unless someone's been in clash, so been in isolation, until they take it...!)
(edited 7 years ago)

no, everyone wouldn't be doing it at 8.30 but it would be around that time
Reply 3
Original post by mobbsy91
Within 30 minutes of the official start time of that paper, yes!

So that means everyone sits the paper at the same time. I checked my exam timetable and saw that some exams were at 1:15 when my mocks were after 2:15.
So that means everyone sits the paper at the same time. I checked my exam timetable and saw that some exams were at 1:15 when my mocks were after 2:15.

For mocks, that's up to your school for when they're scheduled, because they're not official exams, but usually past papers, and so there's not the same level of security surrounding them...

I believe the official start times for the exams are 9am for morning, 1.30pm for afternoon. This means with centres allowed to start up to 30 mins before or after that time, everyone would start the exam between 8.30am and 9.30am for morning, or 1pm and 2pm for afternoon exam.
A paper definitely can't start after it has finished for somebody else, so the range when the exam can be taken is very small.
Morning exams are usually around 9am, and afternoon ones 1:20 or something similar.
For mocks, that's up to your school for when they're scheduled, because they're not official exams, but usually past papers, and so there's not the same level of security surrounding them...

I believe the official start times for the exams are 9am for morning, 1.30pm for afternoon. This means with centres allowed to start up to 30 mins before or after that time, everyone would start the exam between 8.30am and 9.30am for morning, or 1pm and 2pm for afternoon exam.

My school usually starts afternoon exams at 1:15 :smile: just before the end of lunch
Original post by ScienceFantatic
My school usually starts afternoon exams at 1:15 :smile: just before the end of lunch

Awesome :yy: Finish relatively early then!

I remember when I had GCSE Geography which was like 3 hours 45 with extra time, and we started at 2pm - a ****ing killer!
Reply 8
Awesome :yy: Finish relatively early then!

I remember when I had GCSE Geography which was like 3 hours 45 with extra time, and we started at 2pm - a ****ing killer!

Why was your paper so long? Ours is normally 1hr and 15mins.
Why was your paper so long? Ours is normally 1hr and 15mins.

No idea... just for that course we had a long paper! Thankfully it was just the one though!
No idea... just for that course we had a long paper! Thankfully it was just the one though!

That's crazy. I can't imagine how you sat there for that long. Our longest paper (english Language) is still 1hr 45 mins less than this. :eek:
That's crazy. I can't imagine how you sat there for that long. Our longest paper (english Language) is still 1hr 45 mins less than this. :eek:

It's not that bad because there was a lot to do in it... Uni exams can be that long though anyway... at least with uni exams, you don't have to stay till the end!
It's not that bad because there was a lot to do in it... Uni exams can be that long though anyway... at least with uni exams, you don't have to stay till the end!

That's good at least. I can't imagine staying in one place for 4 hours. :frown::s-smilie:
Original post by TheConfusedMedic
A paper definitely can't start after it has finished for somebody else, so the range when the exam can be taken is very small.
Morning exams are usually around 9am, and afternoon ones 1:20 or something similar.

Ye, my school is doing 9:00am and 1:00pm I think 💭
Original post by Pretzel14
Ye, my school is doing 9:00am and 1:00pm I think 💭

Exams have to start within 30 minutes of 0900 and 1330 and no one is allowed to leave until 1 hour after the main start time.

Quick Reply

Latest