The Student Room Group

Denmark no longer defines being transgender as a mental illness

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/denmark-will-be-the-first-country-to-no-longer-define-being-transgender-as-a-mental-illness-a7029151.html

This is stupid. Instead of starting to accept people with mental disorders, we're pretending that mental disorders don't exist.

I'm autistic. Autism is a disorder because it's not normal. I wouldn't want to have to pretend to be normal just because some feel good idiots decide they want to pretend mental disorders don't exist to make themselves happy. I DO have something wrong with me.

Instead of pretending stuff is normal, why can't we just accept that some people are different?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanL_
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/denmark-will-be-the-first-country-to-no-longer-define-being-transgender-as-a-mental-illness-a7029151.html

This is stupid. Instead of starting to accept people with mental disorders, we're pretending that mental disorders don't exist.

I'm autistic. Autism is a disorder because it's not normal. I wouldn't want to have to pretend to be normal just because some feel good idiots decide they want to pretend mental disorders don't exist to make themselves happy. I DO have something wrong with me.

Instead of pretending stuff is normal, why can't we just accept that some people are different?

First thing I've ever repped you on lmao.
Yh, you can't call a self-proclaimed boy with a vagina normal or vice verse.

/thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kraixo

/thread.

I don't think it's fair to say self-proclaimed. Gender is real, and transgenderism is a genuine disorder. But you're right, it's not normal. Not that there's anything wrong with that whatsoever.
Over-progression is the way the world is headed.
I don't think it's fair to say self-proclaimed. Gender is real, and transgenderism is a genuine disorder. But you're right, it's not normal. Not that there's anything wrong with that whatsoever.

If I see a boy, I will call him a boy until he claims that he is a female.
It's probably due to the fact people get offended when people class being a transgender as a mental disorder. And I reckon the thing that makes transgenders feel upset is the fact that they are different. Accepting this fact and going against social conventions may be difficult, not everyone likes being different.

It can be classed as a physical disorder, depending on how you look at it.

There's no conflicts between treating people as normal or different.

And this paves the way to national health services not funding gender-reassignment surgeries - if it's an illness, the government has the obligation to cure it for its citizens; if it's only cosmetics, they don't.

Original post by Kraixo

/thread.

You can just like how you can call a lefty normal even though the overwhelming majority of the world use the right hand as the dominant hand.

For transgenderism in particular, it is entirely influenced by how people assigned qualities to genders. If the world stops seeing being a 'boy' as liking the colour blue, wanting to do the sciences, being masculine, enjoying action films, wearing trousers, enjoying sports, drinking beer etc then it will not only be minimized but also be treated as a cosmetic thing, as it will concern only how the person wants to look like: long hair/short hair, taller/shorter, fatter/thinner, and in this case to have a penis or a vagina. It's just as normal as those people who desperately want to be taller, except you can actually work on changing your organs but not your height.
Exactly. People have differences and that is okay. Some people get real upset and demand everyone is the exact same despite obvious differences and want every single person to pretend nothing is abnormal about a little boy dressing in girl's clothing and declaring himself a girl, and believing one day he'll get periods, and give birth to children.

Abnormal people are not bad or evil. Now erasing mental disorder and pretending no one has mental disorders is doing more harm than good. Anyone ever hear of sex change regret?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HurtfulHarold
It's probably due to the fact people get offended when people class being a transgender as a mental disorder. And I reckon the thing that makes transgenders feel upset is the fact that they are different. Accepting this fact and going against social conventions may be difficult, not everyone likes being different.

Which is silly. It being classed as a disorder is the strongest basis for the government to fund the 'cure' for it.

Or else, the government should also start funding other types of cosmetic surgeries. Can you imagine how much money Victoria Beckham could've saved?

Well put. I've been saying this for ages.

I often think it's quite strange to see people who would normally argue that mental illness shouldn't be stigmatised argue vigorously against the description of transgenderism as a mental illness. It's almost as though they're just picking what they think is the most 'liberal' position to argue for, to show everyone how enlightened they are, rather than actually thinking about the issues.
Original post by Little Toy Gun

You can just like how you can call a lefty normal even though the overwhelming majority of the world use the right hand as the dominant hand.

For transgenderism in particular, it is entirely influenced by how people assigned qualities to genders. If the world stops seeing being a 'boy' as liking the colour blue, wanting to do the sciences, being masculine, enjoying action films, wearing trousers, enjoying sports, drinking beer etc then it will not only be minimized but also be treated as a cosmetic thing, as it will concern only how the person wants to look like: long hair/short hair, taller/shorter, fatter/thinner, and in this case to have a penis or a vagina. It's just as normal as those people who desperately want to be taller, except you can actually work on changing your organs but not your height.

Those are gender roles. Feminine men do not fit those gender roles. Masculine women do not fit gender roles. A man who wears makeup and nail polish is still a man, and a woman who wears hat and likes fixing cars is a still a woman. I think gender roles and gender are different things.
Which is silly. It being classed as a disorder is the strongest basis for the government to fund the 'cure' for it.

Or else, the government should also start funding other types of cosmetic surgeries. Can you imagine how much money Victoria Beckham could've saved?

There's a difference in wanting to change your appearance due to insecurities and doing it because of your hormone imbalances, however. And do governments really try to 'cure' wanting to switch sexes?
There's a difference in wanting to change your appearance due to insecurities and doing it because of your hormone imbalances, however. And do governments really try to 'cure' wanting to switch sexes?

They 'curing' it by funding people the surgery they need to change it.
Original post by SmileyVibe
Those are gender roles. Feminine men do not fit those gender roles. Masculine women do not fit gender roles. A man who wears makeup and nail polish is still a man, and a woman who wears hat and likes fixing cars is a still a woman. I think gender roles and gender are different things.

Gender roles are picking children up from schools and doing the laundry, or even being a nurse. Liking the colour blue or collecting action figures is not a gender role.

But my point is all these associations to gender is a reason why people want to change their genitals to match what they prefer, or perhaps a reason why some people don't want a penis despite identifying as male. And if the society can stop seeing sex as anything more than the biological aspects of it, then there will be no problems concerning a psychological gender but only what people want to have on their bodies.
I don't think it's fair to say self-proclaimed. Gender is real,

That is silly. If it is not self-proclaimed, who does the claiming? How does the world become aware the person is trans-gender?

Oh, I see.

What? That's *******s.

Autism is a mental disorder because it causes severe suffering to those who have it and impairs one's ability to function in day-to-day life. It's got nothing to do with it being not ''normal''.

Wanting to, say, change your appearence to that of someone of the opposite sex does not cause suffering nor does it prevent you from functioning and dealing with day-to-day life. Hence it is not a disorder.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Well put. I've been saying this for ages.

I often think it's quite strange to see people who would normally argue that mental illness shouldn't be stigmatised argue vigorously against the description of transgenderism as a mental illness. It's almost as though they're just picking what they think is the most 'liberal' position to argue for, to show everyone how enlightened they are, rather than actually thinking about the issues.

I think this sums it up. I really get the feeling that a lot of the people being most vocal about these issues are doing it to make themselves look or feel good, and they're not really bothered about whichever minority group they claim to be supporting. And because of that we end up with change that's far too radical and often unhelpful.

Trans-gender is not trans-sex. Gender is not sex. A boy who identifies as a girl is physically a boy and may have no desire to have hormone therapy or surgery in order to switch sex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending