The Student Room Group

Is Sadiq Khan making a good impression?

--

Scroll to see replies

Of London? Yes
Reply 2
meh
He's only just started but he's come across well.

The way to judge Sadiq is what normal Londoners think about him.

Not specific groups like those who are obviously Conservative Party supporters/campaigners or people who post all over the internet with 75%+ of their posts going on about Muslims. Obviously those groups won't like him whatever he does. There will be a lot of threads about Sadiq on TSR from these people trying to claim that he's an extremist, he's undermining UK culture or whatever but most people will look at those threads and think meh.

Sadiq got a big mandate from the London voters despite an aggressive campaign against him from the Conservatives and the media.
All he had to do was win and say that thing about fear-mongering not belonging in modern politics. He is officially a legend now and can rest easy.
Reply 5
AFAIK all he's done since the election is go on the offensive on white people in the transport industry and introduce bus hopper tickets.

You can be a racist terrorist sympathiser AND good at transport reform I guess.
He hasn't made a good impression with me.

That whole thing about too many white men in TFL is just bull****.
Making his first big act going to Holocaust remorial thing was probably a good idea considering the recent events in Labour.
Original post by peartree333
--

It's too soon to say. Boris was an attention seeker for all the wrong reasons, any mayor who addresses all the important London issues will be scoring points with the residents. If he brings an easier life and prosperity for Londonites, there won't be much for people to be complaining about. London Transport issues will be a ball ache because of London's unrelenting over-population and the transport network is all ancient Victorian, he has inherited a role which is riddled with challenges and his opponents will find ways to criticize him any way shape or form. London's population figures are growing year on year, this poses more challenges on everything.
Early days, but he's doing great so far.

- he went to the Holocaust Memorial, indicating he has no time for anti-semitism and is not one of those Muslims for whom Jew-hating is a way of life.

- he has called out Corbyn for being obsessed with in-fighting in the Labour Party from the Left instead of winning votes and opposing the government.

- he's put down Trump in a smart way and shown he is quick on his feet.

- his first big policy announcement has been a green one, widening the low-pollution zone out to the circular roads. :colondollar:

I would say he's going to be great - glad I voted for him. :clap2:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Early days, but he's doing great so far.

- he went to the Holocaust Memorial, indicating he has no time for anti-semitism and is not one of those Muslims for whom Jew-hating is a way of life.

- he has called out Corbyn for being obsessed with in-fighting in the Labour Party from the Left instead of winning votes and opposing the government.

- he's put down Trump in a smart way and shown he is quick on his feet.

- his first big policy announcement has been a green one, widening the low-pollution zone out to the circular roads. :colondollar:

I would say he's going to be great - glad I voted for him. :clap2:

Didn't he exploit sectarian in fighting in the Muslim world for his own advantage though?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Didn't he exploit sectarian in fighting in the Muslim world for his own advantage though?

Not aware of that - what are you referring to?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not aware of that - what are you referring to?

Dunno I heard it on a podcast :ninja:

I will try to find some kind of source that ins't like a fish wives tale :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Dunno I heard it on a podcast :ninja:

Was that on Breitbart? :teehee:

I'm going to give him a chance to do well - I think he's basically a good guy and although I'm sure he will make mistakes, he's already shaping up to be far better than Boris. It's nice to have a progressive leader in charge of something important again, you have to experience a long period of Conservatives and other reactionaries in charge to really start to long for the sensible Left to come back.
Iunno, all I've really heard about him so far is that he wants diversity within the transport sector for the sake of diversity... which is a bit daft if you ask me, but I cant say I know enough about him to give an honest opinion based on one thing he's said.
He seems mostly okay. Hasn't done a great deal to comment on and I do have my issues with him but then I had my issues with goldilocks as well so not really fussed by either one.

Probably best to wait a bit longer to comment on his mayoral reign.
You can see how the Sadiq-haters are scraping the barrel given that their big complaint about him now is that he's raised concerns that the board of TfL was disproportionately white and this makes him "racist".

These views are hardly out of the mainstream: David Cameron has said a lack of diversity is holding Britain back and that there aren't enough ethnic minorities in politics, business, football and in the military.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2822894/David-Cameron-says-wants-Britain-s-Asian-PM-lifetime-warns-lack-diversity-holding-country-back.html

‘One day I want to hear that title “Prime Minister” followed by a British Asian name.

‘In Britain today there are still too few ethnic minorities in top positions. Let us think big about what Britons of all backgrounds can achieve. When I hear “sir”, “your honour” or “right honourable”, I want them to be followed by a British Asian name.

‘The absence is glaring in the boardrooms of the FTSE 250, in the chambers of the Houses of Parliament, on football managers’ benches; on high court judges’ benches and in our fighter jets, our naval ships, our armed battalions around the world.
I think so, yes. However, I didn't think very highly of him after the comment about too many white workers... I just think that's unnecessary.

Yes he did, though that's quite standard to be fair. But he has condemned antisemitism which makes him a rarity among British Muslim Labour politicians (others such as Naz Shah get elected by taking advantage of antisemitism being popular in the constituencies). In fact that almost made him a pariah among certain unsavoury groups. Trust me, if you're a Tooting MP, condemning antisemitism is brave.

As for the OP, he's only been mayor for 5 minutes. Let's see how he gets on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom
Yes he did, though that's quite standard to be fair. But he has condemned antisemitism which makes him a rarity among British Muslim Labour politicians (others such as Naz Shah get elected by taking advantage of antisemitism being popular in the constituencies). In fact that almost made him a pariah among certain unsavoury groups.....

He will face flack on it from parts of the London Muslim community, there's huge antisemitism amongst British Muslims, sadly. Not all, but it's widespread and includes a lot of belief in bizarre conspiracy theories about Jews. As an educated and 'liberal' Muslim, Khan also faces difficulties in being an 'outsider Muslim' and we should remember that when talking about him.

Quick Reply