The Student Room Group

What do Uni students do over summer?

Hi, I'd like to do something over the summer this year - possibly something that enables me to meet new people and make new friends in my area.

I'm interested in photography and fashion. I'd also be happy to join a big scheme, like the NCS that schoolkids take part in, for people my age. Or I'd just like to do whatever other people think is a good idea.

Are there any apprenticeships/ jobs/ programmes/ outlets etc that you could recommend? I know I'll just going be feeling bored over the summer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Most people do internships
Hmm what kinds of internships do people do? Just to give me some idea.
Original post by cosmic angel
Hmm what kinds of internships do people do? Just to give me some idea.

Depends on their subject/interests lol?
Original post by orphan_black
Depends on their subject/interests lol?

I want to know what is common for people. Any examples would help because I get lost looking for things online.
Work work work work work . . .
Reply 6
You could do camps and work as a councellor. Google camp America and it should come up!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your responses
(edited 7 years ago)
work, party, reunite with old friends, go abroad with mates
Study, sleep, game, eat.
Lots of people aren't reading the OP.
Summer prorgrammes abroad if your university offers them? Sounds like an amazing opportunity, won't be doing one myself this summer but if i fail to secure an internship next summer i will.

Something to consider whilst at university (start of the new academic year) sign up to the UOTC (university officer training corps) if it interests you. You're bound to meet loads of people from the same and other universities. It's also a great opportunity even if you don't want a military career.
Not informed on jobs but a lot of people go to music festivals I guess you could meet a whole range of people there.
Original post by cosmic angel
I want to know what is common for people. Any examples would help because I get lost looking for things online.

What subject are you doing at uni?
Reply 14
what is available in your area (geographically) depends on the area and it is hard to give meaningful advice without it...

and since you ask, what I did was:-

summer before uni - work, taught sailing
summer after 1st year - work, taught sailing
summer after second year - stayed in uni town and work, moved furniture
summer after 3rd year (four year course) - London seeing bands and getting up to mischief

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending