The Student Room Group

Are Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Spanish at Alevel a good combination?

I really enjoy Spanish so wanted to add it to the mix, are my a level choices good for someone who wants to become a Software Engineer?
Reply 1
Original post by MunaFuzzyG
I really enjoy Spanish so wanted to add it to the mix, are my a level choices good for someone who wants to become a Software Engineer?

Sounds good to me!
Reply 2
Sure. I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French. The languages aspect helps address the male/female imbalance inthe other subjects :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by offhegoes
Sure. I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French. The languages aspect helps address the male/female imbalance inthe other subjects :wink:

Lol my mate's sure enjoying being the only male in his German class :'D. He won't admit it but we know it's true. Sometimes I regret not doing Spanish. I love the subject and smashed it at GCSE, but I don't think it will be useful in my future plans as oppose to the ones I chose; Maths, FM, Physics and Economics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by aadil10
Sounds good to me!

Reply 5

Haha :biggrin: that's good. One more question, after doing French at Alevel would you say you would be able to speak to a French person with confidence? I want to Spanish so I can get a good grasp of the language.
Reply 6
Haha :biggrin: that's good. One more question, after doing French at Alevel would you say you would be able to speak to a French person with confidence? I want to Spanish so I can get a good grasp of the language.

I could have a reasonable conversation I think, but honestly I don't fully remember how I was doing then, as I went on to study French as part of my degree too, so can't think what stage I was at at each pointin my studying!
(edited 7 years ago)

A-level Computing duplicates some university Computer Science courses' first-year content, and so you could consider doing another subject so you learn more (physics would be the usual). But your current combination is perfectly good as well.
Reply 8
Original post by aadil10
Lol my mate's sure enjoying being the only male in his German class :'D. He won't admit it but we know it's true. Sometimes I regret not doing Spanish. I love the subject and smashed it at GCSE, but I don't think it will be useful in my future plans as oppose to the ones I chose; Maths, FM, Physics and Economics.

Initially I was going to do Physics but then I thought its a bit too much and I need to spice up my Alevel abit haha. Yeah I do Spanish GCSE now and thats one of the reasons am actually wanting to do it at Alevel.
Reply 9
Initially I was going to do Physics but then I thought its a bit too much and I need to spice up my Alevel abit haha. Yeah I do Spanish GCSE now and thats one of the reasons am actually wanting to do it at Alevel.

Physics can be really useful as it fits well with Maths and Computing, but it's not essential. I chose my subjects as they complement each other and I'm not 100% sure what degree I want to do. This keeps my options fairly broad.

Just a heads up, languages are supposedly much harder at GCSE! But they can be regarded quite highly as they give you a unique edge over others.
Reply 10
Original post by sweeneyrod
A-level Computing duplicates some university Computer Science courses' first-year content, and so you could consider doing another subject so you learn more (physics would be the usual). But your current combination is perfectly good as well.

Wouldn't further maths also prove as useful as Physics, I was going to do Physics... Thank you for the reply :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by aadil10
Physics can be really useful as it fits well with Maths and Computing, but it's not essential. I chose my subjects as they complement each other and I'm not 100% sure what degree I want to do. This keeps my options fairly broad.

Just a heads up, languages are supposedly much harder at GCSE! But they can be regarded quite highly as they give you a unique edge over others.

Yes I am aware and am prepared to work hard to do well in it :biggrin: thanks. To be honest Alevel overall is a big step up from GCSE :cool:
Yes I am aware and am prepared to work hard to do well in it :biggrin: thanks. To be honest Alevel overall is a big step up from GCSE :cool:

It is, however you will find that if you're enjoying your subjects you don't actually notice a huge increase in difficulty. Before you know it your knowledge far exceeds what you knew at GCSE. I personally did not find AS level maths and FM that much of a challenge. But thinking about how easy GCSE maths was now, it's quite shocking how much my mathematical ability has improved.
Wish I could say the same for physics... :/
Reply 13
Original post by aadil10
It is, however you will find that if you're enjoying your subjects you don't actually notice a huge increase in difficulty. Before you know it your knowledge far exceeds what you knew at GCSE. I personally did not find AS level maths and FM that much of a challenge. But thinking about how easy GCSE maths was now, it's quite shocking how much my mathematical ability has improved.
Wish I could say the same for physics... :/

Thanks thats good to know! I really do enjoy maths at GCSE now and find it quite easy that is one of the reasons I opted for further maths too. Have you got any tips for Alevels in general, since am basically choosing the same options as you.
Reply 14
I could have a reasonable conversation I think, but honestly I don't fully remember how I was doing then, as I went on to study French as part of my degree too, so can't think what stage I was at at each pointin my studying!

Oh okay :biggrin: have you got any tips for Alevels, since am choosing very similar options to you?
Oh okay :biggrin: have you got any tips for Alevels, since am choosing very similar options to you?

Hmm don't get behind at all. By January you want to be up to date with any work. Maths and FM are all about practice, so don't spend too long on notes with them. Understand the topics then keep having a go at questions. Do as many past papers as possible in the last few months. The others I'm not sure.
Reply 16
Original post by aadil10
Hmm don't get behind at all. By January you want to be up to date with any work. Maths and FM are all about practice, so don't spend too long on notes with them. Understand the topics then keep having a go at questions. Do as many past papers as possible in the last few months. The others I'm not sure.

Thanks!
Thanks!

No problem :smile: Next year if you get stuck on anything in maths/FM just message me and I'll get back to you
How were they? Those are the subjects I am looking to take for my A-levels starting next year by the way =). Any tips?
Hello, so you should be in Uni by now, just wondering how it went and if you have any advice for me pls, because these are the my exact subject choices, and I don't think I've found anyone else with the exact same A-level subjects as me, hope your exams went well too, and yes although I am about to start, they seem a very useful and interesting combination😅😂

Quick Reply

Latest