The Student Room Group

Slang words that make you cringe...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ForestShadow

Someone had to xD *facepalm*
Original post by mellowjoker
I live in the West Midlands and people seem to use the terms "peak" and "dank" in pretty much every single sentence. I'm not sure if these phrases are used elsewhere but I'm sure they are. I would like to think that I'm an educated individual and I honestly cannot stand it when people have such a slender grasp on grammar. It quite literally sends shivers down my spine when I hear people using such basic and chavvy (dare I say) expressions. :/

Same here! Hear it all the time :colonhash:
Original post by nisha.sri
Pussio , banter , moist

*cringe *cringe
:catfight:

Original post by ForeverAQx
The word 'DANK' makes me cringe af:unimpressed::unimpressed:

I live in the West Midlands and people seem to use the terms "peak" and "dank" in pretty much every single sentence. I'm not sure if these phrases are used elsewhere but I'm sure they are. I would like to think that I'm an educated individual and I honestly cannot stand it when people have such a slender grasp on grammar. It quite literally sends shivers down my spine when I hear people using such basic and chavvy (dare I say) expressions. :/

Original post by RedRosesBloom
Same here! Hear it all the time :colonhash:

chavvy (dare I say) expressions. :/

My school's near Manchester (although I live around Stoke way). The word the lads use to call the girls pretty is 'peng'. And apparently 'pale' means bad or unfair.
Who even comes up with these???
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by C-Dog
And yet you're happy to use 'legit'?:wink:

Legit = informal adjective for conforming to rules. It is proper English!
Legit is also slang :}

You can't be that educated, firstly that has nothing to do with grammar and secondly it is not incorrect in any way, gramatically, lexically or otherwise.

What your judgement is is sociolinguistic snobbery. You denigrate these words because you think they are chavvy, i.e. not middle-class enough for you.
Reply 188
Banter isn't slang, it's a proper word?
Original post by xobeauty
Narley.

I think That's how you say it. Usually it's those hippie surfer skater people.

*Gnarly

Whoa, that's gnarly duuude

How can that annoy you more than street slang? Don't be hatin' on the surfer dudes :tongue:
Original post by Alexion
*Gnarly

Whoa, that's gnarly duuude

How can that annoy you more than street slang? Don't be hatin' on the surfer dudes :tongue:

Yeah. Don't be hating on us. Skateboarders say that as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, this thread is littered with such classism and racism. You're all hating on some words because they are predominantly used by/ originate from a marginalised group of society?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reeeeyah
There's this guy on my FB and literally everything he comments on he does that '100' emoji always puts ''My G'' after it. It makes me cringe, can you not.

Yeah that pisses me off. I don't understand why everybody be uses the 100 thing. Are they rating them out of 100 ? It just doesn't make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chocoholic_x
Wow, this thread is littered with such classism and racism. You're all hating on some words because they are predominantly used by/ originate from a marginalised group of society?

No. Not really. We just want people to speak the Queen's English and not create another absurd language. I've had conversations with people of my age and had to ask them what they said because I understand not one bit of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
No. Not really. We just want people to speak the Queen's English and not create another absurd language. I've had conversations with people of my age and had to ask them what they said because I understand not one bit of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And why do you want to speak Queen's English? It's because it confers "respectability", as it's associated with whiteness and class. It's peak, fam.
Bare.

I have it on good authority that people use the word "bare" to be synonymous with "many", or "lots of" - when clearly its actual meaning is the opposite. That irritates me.

Ironically though, it doesn't really bother me when people describe something good as "sick", or refer to an item they like as a "bad boy". Guess I'm a bit inconsistent
Reply 196
And why do you want to speak Queen's English? It's because it confers "respectability", as it's associated with whiteness and class. It's peak, fam.

No, YOU associate it with "whiteness and class". I think everyone can agree that "peak" and "fam" aren't English words, and that's the problem. It's like a bunch of 7 year old making their own secret language. It's ********.
Original post by UDZ
No, YOU associate it with "whiteness and class". I think everyone can agree that "peak" and "fam" aren't English words, and that's the problem. It's like a bunch of 7 year old making their own secret language. It's ********.

So you're denying that society associates the Queen's English with whiteness and class? Also:

'What is undeniable is that street slang is linked to identity and a sense of belonging. Idris Alasi, 17, from Peckham, agrees that slang is central to the assertion of teenage identity. "I feel slang is a tool used by us as young people to give us a greater sense of self and belonging." For Lewis, the use of street slang by teenagers can be empowering, and is more about a desire to fit in. "As a young black man growing up in inner-city London, slang made me feel part of something. It fostered a sense of belonging."'

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/the-secret-world-of-gang-slang-6530868.html
So you're denying that society associates the Queen's English with whiteness and class? Also:

'What is undeniable is that street slang is linked to identity and a sense of belonging. Idris Alasi, 17, from Peckham, agrees that slang is central to the assertion of teenage identity. "I feel slang is a tool used by us as young people to give us a greater sense of self and belonging." For Lewis, the use of street slang by teenagers can be empowering, and is more about a desire to fit in. "As a young black man growing up in inner-city London, slang made me feel part of something. It fostered a sense of belonging."'

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/the-secret-world-of-gang-slang-6530868.html

Yeah. Go and say that to an employer or university. That's if the person who's peaks slang has the necessary qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would seem to be your problem. Clearly everyone else they talk to is capable of understanding it or they wouldn't say it: why can't you?

I myself have a degree in linguistics and speak impeccable "Queen's English" (which is actually an accent, not a vocabulary, but that might be a bit complicated for you at this stage).

It does not do to be sneering at the language of working-class people. This stuff has always been the engine of language change (while all upper-class attempts to regulate language have fallen flat) and I would suspect a large majority of the words we use from day to day are demotic in origin.

Why on earth is what the Queen (supposedly) talks like more important than what most people talk like?

Quick Reply

Latest