The Student Room Group

GCSE to A level

I am a grade C/B student at GCSE but I've chosen to do A levels and I want to be the smartest person in my class next year and I want to achieve the highest grades like A*s at A level. My plan is to work very hard next year and make sure I understand everything everyday and do a lot of work/revision early...

Could I do it if I work very hard from day 1?
Original post by _Xenon_
I am a grade C/B student at GCSE but I've chosen to do A levels and I want to be the smartest person in my class next year and I want to achieve the highest grades like A*s at A level. My plan is to work very hard next year and make sure I understand everything everyday and do a lot of work/revision early...

Yes I think you can if you're willing to work really hard. However don't aim to be the best in your class as it's a pointless goal. Just aim to do best you can be I guess( as cliche as it sounds).
Original post by _Xenon_

Well there's no reason you can't, but you have to keep at it and never really give up on it. But the results will pay off.
Original post by _Xenon_

Go for it you never know until you try right, so do your best and you'll do great :biggrin:
Original post by _Xenon_

Sounds like a great plan- if you stick to it, you will do fine.

However to be brutally honest if you can't get As or A*s at GCSE, you will struggle with A levels (assuming you're not doing things such as media studies)

Reply 6
Original post by richpanda
Sounds like a great plan- if you stick to it, you will do fine.

However to be brutally honest if you can't get As or A*s at GCSE, you will struggle with A levels (assuming you're not doing things such as media studies)

Well I get As sometimes and I know I'm smart despite my grades. I feel as if I could've got A*s at GCSE too but my circumstances ruined it for me. I definitely feel as if I'm capable and I've confidence I can do extremely well if I do things right from the start. I know A levels are much much harder than GCSE and I'll probably find it difficult but I feel like I can do it. :smile:

What do you think? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ForestShadow

Yeah man! 😄
PRSOM.
Reply 8
Yep we'll see how we do next year! 😄
Original post by _Xenon_

As an A-level student and a person who had to complete an entire AS Further Maths subject in 4 months, I will say that you most certainly can achieve A*s and "be the smartest person in the class". Despite what people say, A-levels are not overly difficult or even unmanageably hard. If you have the determination and the work-ethic, regardless of past grades, you can achieve the top marks.

I have literally gone from a U to an A in a matter of weeks. It's not something impossible, just something that you have to put the effort in.

Given that summer is approaching and you'll start in September, I would say that you buy the textbooks for your subjects beforehand and start working during the summer. It's something that I wish I could've done and will certainly do next year.

Also, don't be fooled by the easy start, if you want to achieve high grades, you have to start working from day 0, no excuses, because the exams come faster than you think. Just study hard and you'll reap the benefits, the Cs and Bs will become a thing of the past. (p.s which A-levels are you thinking of taking?)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by techfan42
As an A-level student and a person who had to complete an entire AS Further Maths subject in 4 months, I will say that you most certainly can achieve A*s and "be the smartest person in the class". Despite what people say, A-levels are not overly difficult or even unmanageably hard. If you have the determination and the work-ethic, regardless of past grades, you can achieve the top marks.

I have literally gone from a U to an A in a matter of weeks. It's not something impossible, just something that you have to put the effort in.

Given that summer is approaching and you'll start in September, I would say that you buy the textbooks for your subjects beforehand and start working during the summer. It's something that I wish I could've done and will certainly do next year.

Also, don't be fooled by the easy start, if you want to achieve high grades, you have to start working from day 0, no excuses, because the exams come faster than you think. Just study hard and you'll reap the benefits, the Cs and Bs will become a thing of the past. (p.s which A-levels are you thinking of taking?)

Thanks man. I've picked Maths, Chemistry & Physics.

I am predicted a grade B in Mathematics, could possibly achieve an A, exam is in just under 2 weeks though will have to work extra hard. I love Maths though. :-)

I love chemistry, predicted a grade C since December, despite having achieve a grade B in mocks. I believe I could achieve a grade B/possibly an A? Actually a grade A is likely considering the amount of revision I've done and how much of the content I've learned. I got an A in the ISA.

I love Physics too. I'm looking at getting a grade A, without revision so far. Starting Physics revision from Thursday. 😁 A bit late but I find Physics really easy and it is easier to get high grades in it...

:smile:
Original post by _Xenon_
Well I get As sometimes and I know I'm smart despite my grades. I feel as if I could've got A*s at GCSE too but my circumstances ruined it for me. I definitely feel as if I'm capable and I've confidence I can do extremely well if I do things right from the start. I know A levels are much much harder than GCSE and I'll probably find it difficult but I feel like I can do it. :smile:

What do you think? :smile:

You have to enjoy your subjects, you have to want to learn. Have a positive mindset.
Isn't C/B basically failing to people on TSR
If you do subjects you're pretty good at then you can probably do well.
Original post by Dom2375
Isn't C/B basically failing to people on TSR

A is failing to some people on here :rolleyes:
Yes, you can complete an a-level to grade A* even if you have GCSE grade C/B in that subject but it will be very hard work and you must stay positive.

Someone in my class had to complete a GCSE in Mathematics in less than 6 months do to personal circumstances. He passed the exam with A* grade (168/175).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest