The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Florescence
Haha no I'm not, I'm at university in my home country.

In which case your situation is very different and doesn't apply to UK applicants.
Original post by jneill
In which case your situation is very different and doesn't apply to UK applicants.

I could have sworn they also started loosening the policy for UK applicants too... I would still recommend emailing all the colleges and seeing their thoughts anyway. Can't hurt :smile:
I could have sworn they also started loosening the policy for UK applicants too... I would still recommend emailing all the colleges and seeing their thoughts anyway. Can't hurt :smile:

I don't think so. There's no reason they have to.
If you're applying to a course that's entirely different from what you're studying at a current uni, that's another story and they'd usually accept your application,though.
For international applicants, that's yet another story.....
If you're thinking of re-applying, have you got a feedback on your previous application?
Original post by vincrows
I don't think so. There's no reason they have to.
If you're applying to a course that's entirely different from what you're studying at a current uni, that's another story and they'd usually accept your application,though.
For international applicants, that's yet another story.....
If you're thinking of re-applying, have you got a feedback on your previous application?

I did get feedback, and as I suspected, the rest of my application was alright except for my interview and test (not that it was bad per se, but it just wasn't as good as the successful applicants). I think that was mostly due to a lack of preparation, because my end of high school exams were in October and I wasn't used to using my brain again after 2 months. My results exceed the usual entry requirements, so hopefully, if I can improve in the areas that let me down, I'll get an offer. :crossedf::biggrin:
I did get feedback, and as I suspected, the rest of my application was alright except for my interview and test (not that it was bad per se, but it just wasn't as good as the successful applicants). I think that was mostly due to a lack of preparation, because my end of high school exams were in October and I wasn't used to using my brain again after 2 months. My results exceed the usual entry requirements, so hopefully, if I can improve in the areas that let me down, I'll get an offer. :crossedf::biggrin:

Ok, that's good.
But remember a large majority of applicants exceeds entry requirements (many of them by a large margin), so I think your performance of interview/test will still play a very important role.
Good luck.
Ok, that's good.
But remember a large majority of applicants exceeds entry requirements (many of them by a large margin), so I think your performance of interview/test will still play a very important role.
Good luck.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought too... everything's just resting on my interview/test. Kind of a scary thought :afraid:

Thanks!
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought too... everything's just resting on my interview/test. Kind of a scary thought :afraid:

Thanks!

Not everything. They will still look at and scrutinise the result of A-levels you've got and compare it with those of other applicants'. The only difference there is that you've already got the solid grades while they'll have to predict what sort of grades other applicants pre-A level/etc. exams might get and some of them may be predicted higher grades than you already have.
Whether pre-A level or post a-level, all the aspects of your application will be looked at very carefully. Just having A-level results already won't get you off the hook in that aspect of application. :wink:
Not everything. They will still look at and scrutinise the result of A-levels you've got and compare it with those of other applicants'. The only difference there is that you've already got the solid grades while they'll have to predict what sort of grades other applicants pre-A level/etc. exams might get and some of them may be predicted higher grades than you already have.
Whether pre-A level or post a-level, all the aspects of your application will be looked at very carefully. Just having A-level results already won't get you off the hook in that aspect of application. :wink:

Ahh, gotcha. Do you think they would compare my qualifications (our leaving-school qualification in Australia is called the HSC, and our result is called our ATAR :tongue:) to those of normal applicants, or to other post-qualification applicants?

If only I could re-sit some exams like A-levels let you resit modules...
Ahh, gotcha. Do you think they would compare my qualifications (our leaving-school qualification in Australia is called the HSC, and our result is called our ATAR :tongue:) to those of normal applicants, or to other post-qualification applicants?

Have you looked at this when you were applying last year?
Since you have A-level results, my guess if that they'd look at it more than ATAR", but maybe worth asking about it to a college you're applying.
Have you looked at this when you were applying last year?
Since you have A-level results, my guess if that they'd look at it more than ATAR", but maybe worth asking about it to a college you're applying.

Oops, I think I might have expressed myself unclearly before. :colondollar: I meant that I have my country's equivalent of A-levels (secondary qualifications).

But you're right, I should probably email my college (once I've hurried up and picked one, that is...)
Reply 30

They assess everyone, together. It's a "gathered field" approach. The benefit of applying post-qualification is they know your final grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
They assess everyone, together. It's a "gathered field" approach. The benefit of applying post-qualification is they know your final grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they would still hold me to a higher standard, wouldn't they? Because I'm already doing a similar course at university.

I agree that already having final grades probably gives me a slight advantage. The college I previously applied to wrote in my feedback that one of the reasons I got rejected was because they weren't sure, judging from the paperwork, whether I would meet their usual offer requirement (which, annoyingly enough, is higher than what is written on the university website). Although this was probably only a very minor consideration overall, I thought it was quite strange that they bothered mentioning it...
Reply 32
But they would still hold me to a higher standard, wouldn't they? Because I'm already doing a similar course at university.

Yes they would.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
How did it work out in the end?
Reply 34
Original post by tazza ma razza
nah i did it - was at nottingham doing economics and reapplied to warwick, got an offer and so then dropped out of notts.

Hey man, I'm currently studying Economics at University of Nottingham, and I'm from Spain and I did the Spanish Bachelor (I know that you might not be informed about this educational system but there are 10 subjects and the mark is out of 10, and I got nine 10's and one 9, so in average a 9.8/10 which is pretty good, LSE and UCL asked me for a 9.3/10, but I didn't even received an offer from them because my tutor messed up my application as he's not use to doing that sort of things), and I know that Nottingham is really well ranked for economics although is not the same as LSE or UCL.Could you please tell what do I have to do in order to re-apply? Can I apply for 2018-2019 entry for first year to LSE and UCL while I'm completing my first year at UoN? Do you have to select anything in particular while you are applying by UCAS? I would really appreciate your help! Please PM me. I hope that we get in touch!

Latest

Trending

Trending