The Student Room Group

AQA AS Biology 7401/1 and 7401/2 Exam - 26th May and 7th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jackmilne95
I'm retaking BIOL1 this year as I got a B in it last year and wanna bump up my UMS this year to secure an A, in the case that I don't get an A* at A2.

My advice would be to initially learn the topics one by one; after this only memorise in detail (understanding them properly would be good too, as you may have to relate particular information to other questions, but if you find them too hard then just memorise them) the 5 mark question topics (lungs, heart, immune system, microscopy etc) as these ones hold two 5 mark questions every year and if you can memorise them off by heart then they're an easy 10 marks. I wouldnt spend hours and hours memorising in detail other smaller topics just do past papers, tons of them. After a while you pick up what you need to know for organelles, enzymes and other smaller topics and you'll be getting the 2-3 mark questions correct everytime.

I cannot stress how important past papers are, mixed with flash card methods (diagrams for cells and structure of the heart) as these helped me so much to understand the exam technique and get little bits of important information memorised. Best of luck everyone, Jack.

If you had 16 days until your exam, what would you be doing?
I'll be sitting the biology AQA exam soon ( new spec)
Reply 61
since the 6 required practicals are going to be assessed, one practical has been bugging me, the dissection practical, I'm not certain what kind of questions would be asked if they would appear on the paper. Are there any questions regarding dissections?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nai18
since the 6 required practicals are going to be assessed, one practical has been bugging me, the dissection practical, I'm not certain what kind of questions would be asked if they would appear on the paper. Are there any questions regarding dissections?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Asking you to label diffrent things? Asking about how to be safe when doing it.
Reply 63
Makes sense. Could ask specifically about equipment like why should you use this instead of this.
You answered your own question lol, btw have you memorised each practical's method etc?
Original post by OfficialChemist
You answered your own question lol, btw have you memorised each practical's method etc?

lmao you guys need to chill with the practicals, I mean sure you need to briefly know them and address basic variables/procedures but they aren't going to award many marks for those questions especially since they're just an expansion on gcse level knowledge

~peace:h:
Anyone resisting bio 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else having to do an essay for the AS internal exam?
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
Anyone resisting bio 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

no, but i'm sitting it for the first time:h:
Original post by Virolite
lmao you guys need to chill with the practicals, I mean sure you need to briefly know them and address basic variables/procedures but they aren't going to award many marks for those questions especially since they're just an expansion on gcse level knowledge

~peace:h:

i've read somewhere it's 15% of our AS exam?
I'm not too sure on what type of questions they'll ask on them though, maybe on how to improve the experiments?
Any predictions ?!?! I predict absorption of proteins, carbohydrates , starch :biggrin:
[QUOTE=Natashja;64883715]Any predictions ?!?! I predict absorption of proteins, carbohydrates , starch :biggrin:

If those topics come up would it also come up on paper 2
Original post by Jokonkwo
If those topics come up would it also come up on paper 2

Just because it comes up in paper 1 doesn't mean it wont come up in Paper 2, or visa versa. I would recommend after taking paper 1 look at the topics that didnt come up !! However don't not revise the ones that came up :smile: the examiner may be feeling mean and put it in both papers :s-smilie:
i Have mark schemes for both of set 2 specimen papers, does anyone want them?
Original post by Heaththenerd

Yes please!!! I have most of the questions from someone else on the this site but my teacher still won't give me the papers 😡

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natashja
Any predictions ?!?! I predict absorption of proteins, carbohydrates , starch :biggrin:

Hey could I just ask what you mean by absorption of proteins? :smile: thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully we do well etc tbh
how is everyone revising? I feel like there is too much content to revise...i'm finding it difficult to memorize:frown:
Reply 78
Original post by Sanniabir
how is everyone revising? I feel like there is too much content to revise...i'm finding it difficult to memorize:frown:

Yeah, I am the same :frown:
I want to do past papers and stuff but finding am not remembering alot of info. It's so specific, it's hard. But some advice I saw earlier on here was good - to revise the 5 mark question topics (like lungs, heart, immune system, mitosis, microscopy) and then to not spend too long on smaller topics. They recommended to do the tons of papers, and the smaller things like bits and pieces of organelles and enzymes etc, you will find what you need.
I'm taking this advice now (thank you to the person who said it). It just feels too late... with only a week to go and not much time left to revise due to commitments to other subjects in this period.
Anyway, hope it goes well for you :smile: Good luck
Original post by Heaththenerd

Please could I have them as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest