The Student Room Group

TSR Eurovision vote 2016

Scroll to see replies

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

omds that was the real winner
I saw something on tumblr which made me chuckle:

"Can my grades do a Poland in Eurovision 2016 and gain over 200 points in less than 5 minutes" :rofl:
[video="youtube;bJ7nO8obRog"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ7nO8obRog[/video]

"Know howwwwwwwwwwwww" :rofl:

I love Lynda...
Original post by Snufkin
Why should they have won? The guy was hot and it had lots of interesting gimmicks - but the song itself was decidedly meh. Tbh I don't see how this is any different to 2014 when Austria won because of a politically charged pro-LGBT song.

It should have won because the song was good and catchy and they put a lot of effort into the staging. The singer being hot is irrelevant to me. It's totally different to how it was when Austria won because that was (in my opinion) entirely based on the fact it was a Transgender standing up and performing and the bravery associated with that than anything to do with the quality of the song of the effort put into the actual performance. I absolutely hated that song and if anyone else had sung it I don't doubt that it wouldn't have been anywhere near the top 10, let alone won.

If anything Ukraine winning because it was a serious song about war and related (I suppose) to the terrible things happening recently is more of a political vote once again, as opposed to letting the best damn song win. It isn't a memorable song and most of it wasn't in English (so most of us have no clue what she's singing half the time) which leads me to believe it's a politically motivated or even sympathetic vote.
Original post by Katarvi
x

Bulgaria should have won :erm:
Trying to decide what's more important about Eurovision - a decent, likeable song or actually being from Europe... :/
Original post by homeland.lsw
Bulgaria should have won :erm:

I don't remember Bulgaria, what was their song?
Why on earth was Romania not allowed to compete because of unpaid debts? I liked their song so much!
Original post by Katarvi
I don't remember Bulgaria, what was their song?
Why on earth was Romania not allowed to compete because of unpaid debts? I liked their song so much!

That dance one...If love was a crime?

Dai mi lyubovta?
That dance one...If love was a crime?

Dai mi lyubovta?

Ooooh yeah, I remember that one. It was super catchy!
Original post by Katarvi
Ooooh yeah, I remember that one. It was super catchy!

Not catchy enough to win though :getmecoat:

That being said, I really liked the contest this year. It seemed less political than usual!
Not catchy enough to win though :getmecoat:

That being said, I really liked the contest this year. It seemed less political than usual!

Yes, I agree. Apart from the fact that the winning song was highly political, it helped that we did not see how the public from each country voted, as usually each country's population votes for their neighbours. In fact, last year a country was booed for giving points to Russia? I think it was.
Original post by Katarvi
most of it wasn't in English (so most of us have no clue what she's singing half the time) which leads me to believe it's a politically motivated or even sympathetic vote.

In crimean tartar she is singing the words of her great grandmother
"I could not spend my youth there
becasue hey took away my peace."

That is all of the ukrainian there is and I don't see it as political. The deportation happend to many other people in other places she makes no particular remark to any country. In the second verse in english she sings about hope and the future she talks about her personal story. tbh no one would be happy if Australia won becasue theyy would argue it's not in europe and if Russia won they would argue that they are anti LGTB so it's not safe for peope to go. Most of the non euro fans which is the bulk of them watching it won't even know the backstory. This is a sophisticated song that actually has a meaning and a purpose.
Original post by CatusStarbright
Yes, I agree. Apart from the fact that the winning song was highly political, it helped that we did not see how the public from each country voted, as usually each country's population votes for their neighbours. In fact, last year a country was booed for giving points to Russia? I think it was.

I just didn't want australia to win :tongue:
I just didn't want australia to win :tongue:

Haha same here. Why are they even in Eurovision??
Original post by CatusStarbright
Haha same here. Why are they even in Eurovision??

And then other people are like hur dur armenia and Israel shouldn't be in eurovision because they're not in Europe hurr durr.

The whole point is the country needs to be a member of the EBU.

Australia are on the other side of the world
And then other people are like hur dur armenia and Israel shouldn't be in eurovision because they're not in Europe hurr durr.

The whole point is the country needs to be a member of the EBU.

Australia are on the other side of the world

Yeah, at least Israel, Azerbaijan and all that are geographically near us. Australia is at the other side of the world!
Seems I'm the only person on TSR who liked Ukraines song, I did like the entire top 4 though to be fair :tongue:

The full results including semis are out now on the official site. Seems Australia beat Ukraine in semi final 2 but couldn't do it in the final. It's weird how this is the first ever winner to not win either the televote or the jury vote, and it's the 2nd year in a row that the televoting public hasn't got their way :tongue:

Poland getting 3rd in the televote was absolutely ridiculous though.....
I know I know

:emo:

And no not really

It was so damn catchy, the Ukraine song is so eerie and spooky and political.

And here's why I think they look alike.

Reply 1038
Reply 1039
In competitions such as this I've always favoured a system where scores are multiplied together instead of added together. It gives much larger scores yes but it rewards consistency as opposed to a select group of countries really liking the song. Having downloaded the spreadsheet of scores and analysed them such a system would have given a different result:

Armenia: 3.95511E+32
Belgium: 2.98675E+23
Czech Republic: 6,652,800
The Netherlands : 2.18258E+22
Azerbaijan: 2.82673E+16
Hungary: 3.41857E+17
Italy: 3.15951E+16
Israel: 9.32962E+19
Bulgaria: 2.85403E+42
Sweden: 3.19954E+34
Germany: 54
France: 1.47572E+37