The Student Room Group

What college to pick???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Avi
..........😄

Just to add.....
Do you know how PhD works? It's completely different from a taught course like undergraduate, or even masters. You don't choose a uni for the name or ranking. You need to find a subject to research for your PhD, the subject nobody has written a paper about yet, and then have to find an academic who approves of your research proposal and agrees to take you under his/her wing to support and supervise you. With the way Theoretical Physics is developing recently, especially after the new discoveries in last few years, nobody knows how Theoretical Physics will be like by the time you decide to do a PhD, let alone who will be the right academic to supervise your research and which university he/she might be at the time. Also, you need a good funding for your PhD, unless you (or your parents or whoever) can afford It yourself, as it's quite expensive to do a PhD. And some of the funding are linked to certain universities or research institutes. So it's really way too early to set your mind on Cambridge (or any other university) for your PhD at this stage.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by jneill
I'm no expert in the Maths (with Physics) route but my impression was there is plenty of physics content in it. The first year of Maths with Physics includes all the Physics content from the NatSci Tripos, and from then on there's plenty of flexibility.

Having a Cambridge MMaths (i.e. including Maths Part III) will not limit a physics career (or Physics PhD options).

I'm sure some of the other posters can confirm (or deny)!

AFAIK: maths and physics is more for people who aren't sure which area they prefer yet, so first year is half-physics and half-maths and then second year is choosing between straight maths or straight natsci. So not much flexibility there, I'm afraid.
Reply 82
Original post by Zacken
AFAIK: maths and physics is more for people who aren't sure which area they prefer yet, so first year is half-physics and half-maths and then second year is choosing between straight maths or straight natsci. So not much flexibility there, I'm afraid.

For first year NatSci you do 3 topics plus Maths anyway. So may aswell do Maths with Physics as, I assume you learn the same Physics in Year 1 NatSci and Year 1 Maths with Physics. Then for Year 2 depending on what I would like to pursue, I can either do NatSci Year 2 or Maths Year 2.

Seems like that (^) would be a good option as prior to deciding on NatSci at Cambridge (not sure anymore), I was torn between Physics and Maths - was contemplating Mathematical Physics.
Original post by _Avi
For first year NatSci you do 3 topics plus Maths anyway. So may aswell do Maths with Physics as, I assume you learn the same Physics in Year 1 NatSci and Year 1 Maths with Physics. Then for Year 2 depending on what I would like to pursue, I can either do NatSci Year 2 or Maths Year 2.

Seems like that (^) would be a good option as prior to deciding on NatSci at Cambridge (not sure anymore), I was torn between Physics and Maths - was contemplating Mathematical Physics.

Bear in mind that maths with physics applications are dealt with as maths applications rather than nat sci ones, so an offer would include step
Reply 84
Original post by _Avi

Yep, although do note that the entry requirements for Maths and Physics are far higher than that of straight Natsci.

(also, you skip out on a lot of the pure maths by taking maths and physics).
Reply 85
Original post by Zacken
Yep, although do note that the entry requirements for Maths and Physics are far higher than that of straight Natsci.

(also, you skip out on a lot of the pure maths by taking maths and physics).

Entry requirements are the same except for Maths with Physics, you require a STEP test.

NatSci and Maths with Physics requires A*A*A
Reply 86
Original post by _Avi
Entry requirements are the same except for Maths with Physics, you require a STEP test.

NatSci and Maths with Physics requires A*A*A

Uh, yeah... that's what I meant. A-Levels mean squat for mathematics applicant, A*A*A is a joke, STEP is incredibly hard.
Reply 87
Original post by Zacken
Uh, yeah... that's what I meant. A-Levels mean squat for mathematics applicant, A*A*A is a joke, STEP is incredibly hard.

Yep. But I'm prepared for a challenge. :K:
Original post by _Avi
Yep. But I'm prepared for a challenge. :K:

If i were you I would properly research step and then come to a conclusion. You might find that after looking at the papers and realising that step prep will take up most of your time working, realise how high a proportion of offer holders don't meet their offers etc that you prefer not to have to do step
Reply 89
Original post by samb1234
If i were you I would properly research step and then come to a conclusion. You might find that after looking at the papers and realising that step prep will take up most of your time working, realise how high a proportion of offer holders don't meet their offers etc that you prefer not to have to do step

I appreciate your concern but I have already done my research and am preparing for the STEP test. :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by _Avi
I appreciate your concern but I have already done my research and am preparing for the STEP test. :smile:

In which case Maths w/Physics sounds like the best route.
Reply 91
Original post by jneill
In which case Maths w/Physics sounds like the best route.

Thanks for the help. :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by _Avi
Thanks for the help. :smile:

You'll be needing this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3478331
STEP Prep Thread 2016

(Or the 2017 version in due course...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by jneill
You'll be needing this thread: