The Student Room Group

What do you do the night before an exam to prepare mentally?

My GCSE's start this week and I'm pretty calm about my exams before the holidays, is this normal because everyone else is stressing? and what should I do the night before an exam to prepare mentally? thanks

Scroll to see replies

Haha don't worry. I'm calm about mine too. It's better to be calm to be honest at this point, because when stress begins to grow even more midway through, you won't be as affected as some other people.
The night depends on the exam I have the day after. If it's something like English Lang/lit, I'll look back at my notes to get some ideas fresh in my head that I could talk about in the exam and look at how I need to structure my answers. Information subjects like Science and History I do nothing the night before to let my head clear, and then that morning I will read and re-read my revision guides and notes until the moment I have to put my things away for the exam. But it's up to you. These are methods I've tried and tested in my mocks over the last two years.

But for definite, let your mind clear. Do some calm short bouts of revision on certain pieces of information you know you get stuck on. Maybe try a few practise questions to get you engaged for the day after? But don't attempt a full exam paper on any subject at this point. It'll only exhaust you. But most of all, RELAX. Watch a film or play a video game, reading a book also helps too if it isn't one on your exam syllabus and is one you can get easily engaged and immersed in. Maybe go on a walk if the weathers nice.
Reply 2
fap
Reply 3
cry then chill and pep talk myself
go over some notes, get distracted, piss about the rest of the evening. get a good night's sleep secure in the knowledge that i'm absolutely screwed.
Reply 5
Original post by xEmilyxx
Haha don't worry. I'm calm about mine too. It's better to be calm to be honest at this point, because when stress begins to grow even more midway through, you won't be as affected as some other people.
The night depends on the exam I have the day after. If it's something like English Lang/lit, I'll look back at my notes to get some ideas fresh in my head that I could talk about in the exam and look at how I need to structure my answers. Information subjects like Science and History I do nothing the night before to let my head clear, and then that morning I will read and re-read my revision guides and notes until the moment I have to put my things away for the exam. But it's up to you. These are methods I've tried and tested in my mocks over the last two years.

But for definite, let your mind clear. Do some calm short bouts of revision on certain pieces of information you know you get stuck on. Maybe try a few practise questions to get you engaged for the day after? But don't attempt a full exam paper on any subject at this point. It'll only exhaust you. But most of all, RELAX. Watch a film or play a video game, reading a book also helps too if it isn't one on your exam syllabus and is one you can get easily engaged and immersed in. Maybe go on a walk if the weathers nice.

That's a good idea and I may go running in the evening before because that's what I do sometimes and it'll help me clear my head. I've gone over things before in the morning so that's what I will probably do. Thanks for the reply and good luck in your exams
-E
Original post by Tom__
fap

prime advice right here
Original post by Wordnerd2
My GCSE's start this week and I'm pretty calm about my exams before the holidays, is this normal because everyone else is stressing? and what should I do the night before an exam to prepare mentally? thanks

ive got my rs gcse tomorrow and what ive found helps me is going through the spec and making a mental checklist of what i need to know ensuring I know all the key words and what not :smile:

I deffs wouldn't stress with pastpapers the night before (although i did do one this morning) but maybe pinpoint areas you're weak in and go over them

oh and organise your gcse pencilcase, idk why but this brings me so much joy...it cant just be me
Tell myself what's the deal, there are people who failed and they're successful so.....
Reply 9
Original post by KeziaKarunwi
ive got my rs gcse tomorrow and what ive found helps me is going through the spec and making a mental checklist of what i need to know ensuring I know all the key words and what not :smile:

I deffs wouldn't stress with pastpapers the night before (although i did do one this morning) but maybe pinpoint areas you're weak in and go over them

oh and organise your gcse pencilcase, idk why but this brings me so much joy...it cant just be me

Don't worry I've already organised my pencil case and it amused me plenty. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Honestly, the best thing to do is to just relax. A trend I've noticed is that EVERYONE starts coming onto TSR before the exams. So there's often forums that are put up about exams that you're doing. So go through the forum, and maybe, every now and then, just post something yourself, as with this.

Occasionally, go through some study notes, just a brief overview. Go over anything you don't know for definite. Just, whatever you do, let your mind relax, but still keep a conscious mind of what you need to know.

You'll be absolutely fine! Good luck!
Don't worry I've already organised my pencil case and it amused me plenty. Thanks for the advice :smile:

yassss girll
Reply 12
yassss girll

All my highlighters and the pens I love that I've been saving and my lego rubber etc... Glad I'm not the only one
All my highlighters and the pens I love that I've been saving and my lego rubber etc... Glad I'm not the only one

*sings* i know im not the only oneeeee
hehe yes ive got pretty boring stationary tho like i doubt we'd be allowed lego rubbers in my school cuz my head of exams is an absolute perfectionist
Reply 14
*sings* i know im not the only oneeeee
hehe yes ive got pretty boring stationary tho like i doubt we'd be allowed lego rubbers in my school cuz my head of exams is an absolute perfectionist

My school doesn't even have a head of exams and how can they not appreciate a lego rubber?!
Imagining the worst scenario if you fail all your exams

Because, really, you wont
Reply 16
cry, ice cream, existential crisis, sleep
Reply 17
Who else is stressing about the maths exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school doesn't even have a head of exams and how can they not appreciate a lego rubber?!

ugh its not like they'd take it from you but he'd basically make a big fuss checking for markings on it and won't let anybody start the exam until he's done , basically our best bet is to come in with a clean new all white rubber no markings what so ever, save yourself unnecessary stress in my school
Reply 19
Looking for a revision buddy for gcse maths if anyones interested ?📚📚📚📚📚😤📖✌️😶

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest