The Student Room Group

Slang words that make you cringe...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by chocoholic_x
So you're denying that society associates the Queen's English with whiteness and class? Also:

'What is undeniable is that street slang is linked to identity and a sense of belonging. Idris Alasi, 17, from Peckham, agrees that slang is central to the assertion of teenage identity. "I feel slang is a tool used by us as young people to give us a greater sense of self and belonging." For Lewis, the use of street slang by teenagers can be empowering, and is more about a desire to fit in. "As a young black man growing up in inner-city London, slang made me feel part of something. It fostered a sense of belonging."'

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/the-secret-world-of-gang-slang-6530868.html

All you're giving me is two opinions and a link to a shitty newspaper. Why should you have to use made up words to "fit in"? Using slang is a great way to show you aren't educated enough in the language you speak that you can't even express yourself properly.

I won't deny that society associates the Queen's English with class, but not "whiteness". I'll also make my position clearer for you, I am an advocate of Standard English. It has nothing to do with accent and encompasses grammar, vocabulary and spelling. Also, when I ridicule slang words, I ridicule *slang words*, NOT the ethnic minorities that are associated with them. I ridicule them because slang words are not real words.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
Yeah. Go and say that to an employer or university. That's if the person who's peaks slang has the necessary qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People who speak in a low register at home (in most of the world this is a whole different language entirely to that used for administration) are always capable of speaking in the higher register when dealing with city employers, government agents, the law etc.

(It is not always the same the other way round, here insert the caricature of a middle class householder trying to talk in the register of the working class tradesman who comes round to do his plumbing etc).

I bet even you speak in different registers depending on whether you are talking to friends or to institutions. I certainly hope so: anything else would be plain weird.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UDZ
All you're giving me is two opinions and a link to a shitty newspaper. Why should you have to use made up words to "fit in"? Using slang is a great way to show you aren't educated enough in the language you speak that you can't even express yourself properly.

And

OK genius, let's hear you express the entire semantic set - denotations, connotations etc - of "moist" or "peak" in "the Queen's English".
Reply 203
Original post by scrotgrot
OK genius, let's hear you express the entire semantic set - denotations, connotations etc - of "moist" or "peak" in "the Queen's English".

I accidentally clicked submit before finishing my post. I just finished editing it so I recommend you read the rest of it.
Original post by UDZ
I accidentally clicked submit before finishing my post. I just finished editing it so I recommend you read the rest of it.

Mine stands: slang words are not superfluous, as you will realise when you try to express the same thing in Standard English.

If they add something to the language then there is no argument whatsoever for arbitrarily drawing a line around Standard English - otherwise why speakest thou not the tongue of Shakespeare, Chaucer, Beowulf or even before English itself existed? Because semantic shift and linguistic innovation has continued steadily down the millennia depending entirely on what people feel they need words for.
Peng
Peak
Bear
Brass

Fricking hate these ones.
Original post by NiamhM1801
Pagan.

I don't even understand it?? Everyone says it and I'm just there like ???

Usually spelled 'paigon', means someone's a snake
Reply 207
MOIST!
Reply 208
Mine stands: slang words are not superfluous, as you will realise when you try to express the same thing in Standard English.

If they add something to the language then there is no argument whatsoever for arbitrarily drawing a line around Standard English - otherwise why speakest thou not the tongue of Shakespeare, Chaucer, Beowulf or even before English itself existed? Because semantic shift and linguistic innovation has continued steadily down the millennia depending entirely on what people feel they need words for.

You're comparing "peak" and "bare" to "addiction" and "inaudible". The last two words were ones Shakespeare made. The difference is there are already words for what "peak" and "bare" mean, and they have no etymological origin (except those two words already exist as two very different things).
Reply 209
Original post by Serine Soul
lush

Though I do rather like Lush bath bombs ngl

This word is hands down the worst.
I can deal with some...but others are physically painful...
Bae, fam, maybz, tots and on fleek are the worst for me!
People who say the word lol rather than laugh - clearly the thing you're lol-ing at can't be that funny if you're not laughing. :colonhash:
Original post by UDZ
You're comparing "peak" and "bare" to "addiction" and "inaudible". The last two words were ones Shakespeare made. The difference is there are already words for what "peak" and "bare" mean, and they have no etymological origin (except those two words already exist as two very different things).

Why are peak and bare lesser than inaudible and addiction? You have not explained this.

And of course they have an etymology (in this case, sense evolution): every word does.

Express the entire semantic content of those words using standard English then. I'm waiting...
"Blud"
Reply 214
Why are peak and bare lesser than inaudible and addiction? You have not explained this.

And of course they have an etymology (in this case, sense evolution): every word does.

Express the entire semantic content of those words using standard English then. I'm waiting...

That is off topic to this thread. This thread is about annoying slang words then some fine gentleman (or woman, no idea) came along accusing everyone of being classist and racist for saying they hate the word "bae" etc.
Wuu2 and Bae
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
No, they don't. :redface:

High five unto my fellow person who doth not speak of this "innit" atrocity.
Even reading this is hurting my brain.

I haven't gone through the most recent, but, like many on here, it makes me physically ill to hear slang being spoken.

The worst for me are 'fam', 'squad' and 'innit'. Also, 'bruv' o.e.
Original post by aarora
For me it has to be 'Alie' - yes people STILL say it.

never heard anyone say that before...

Quick Reply

Latest