The Student Room Group

Latin help

Doing 12 GSCE's, on course for A*s in all but Latin. I honestly do not know how to approach it, on the vocab side I am fine but I haven't paid attention in class for the three years I have done it and don't know anything about tenses, cases etc, I don't even know the difference. I cant tell an accusative from a nominative or a perfect from a pluperfect and don't know where to start. Does anyone have any good resources to learn from or tips to learn? BBC GSCE bitesize has helped me in other subjects but annoyingly they don't have latin
Reply 1
Original post by David.gring
Doing 12 GSCE's, on course for A*s in all but Latin. I honestly do not know how to approach it, on the vocab side I am fine but I haven't paid attention in class for the three years I have done it and don't know anything about tenses, cases etc, I don't even know the difference. I cant tell an accusative from a nominative or a perfect from a pluperfect and don't know where to start. Does anyone have any good resources to learn from or tips to learn? BBC GSCE bitesize has helped me in other subjects but annoyingly they don't have latin

Hey okay so if you're OCR then you don't have long for the language exams at all! I guess I would say look for cheat ways around things to for example with the tenses if it's got 'ba' in it that's imperfect, if it's just got a 'b' in then that's future. Perfect and pluperfect both have 'v' but pluperfect has 'eram, eras, erat....' on the end!
With the cases, 'm' usually means accusative. Neuter plurals end in 'a' so they could either be nom or acc. I can't think of all of them off the top of my head but if you have a look at the cases all written out you will begin to spot patterns!
If all else fails just try to work out what would make the best sense in the story ( which I know is sometimes hard with Latin haha) ! Also try to learn your set texts as well as possible because that will boost your overall grade!
Hope I helped and didn't scare you! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by fuzz13
Hey okay so if you're OCR then you don't have long for the language exams at all! I guess I would say look for cheat ways around things to for example with the tenses if it's got 'ba' in it that's imperfect, if it's just got a 'b' in then that's future. Perfect and pluperfect both have 'v' but pluperfect has 'eram, eras, erat....' on the end!
With the cases, 'm' usually means accusative. Neuter plurals end in 'a' so they could either be nom or acc. I can't think of all of them off the top of my head but if you have a look at the cases all written out you will begin to spot patterns!
If all else fails just try to work out what would make the best sense in the story ( which I know is sometimes hard with Latin haha) ! Also try to learn your set texts as well as possible because that will boost your overall grade!
Hope I helped and didn't scare you! :smile:

Thanks a lot for the tips! Doing Cambridge IGSCE
Reply 3
Original post by David.gring
Thanks a lot for the tips! Doing Cambridge IGSCE

No problem & good luck! :smile:
I would suggest you try to learn the vocab list for the specification and also use the grammar reference sections in your textbook to go through the grammar. It is definitely time to learn the declensions and conjugations, because without them you won't be able to do very much!

Make sure you focus on the literature side, too - learn the translation and how to analyse the texts. This can get you a lot of marks without necessarily knowing how the Latin 'works', so it's worth spending some time on it!

Hope this helps!
Does anyone have any revision websites for OCR Latin GCSE or any really helpful resources? I'm in Year 10 but I'm really struggling at the moment to keep up so any help would be AMAZING!!!
Original post by Zippyzeepig42
Does anyone have any revision websites for OCR Latin GCSE or any really helpful resources? I'm in Year 10 but I'm really struggling at the moment to keep up so any help would be AMAZING!!!

there are youtube vids on latin grammar, just type in 'latin grammar' and it should come up
if you check the ocr website there may be some practice papers for lang but for lit bc they change the texts i don't think there will be much. maybe ask your teacher if they have anything to help :smile:
Original post by mez_merising
there are youtube vids on latin grammar, just type in 'latin grammar' and it should come up
if you check the ocr website there may be some practice papers for lang but for lit bc they change the texts i don't think there will be much. maybe ask your teacher if they have anything to help :smile:

thanks, i'll check them out. are there any specific youtubers that you find/found particularly useful?
Original post by Zippyzeepig42
thanks, i'll check them out. are there any specific youtubers that you find/found particularly useful?

no set yputubers (lmao I don’t think many of the mainstream ones even do latin) but there’s defo Latin tips on there. good luck and let me know how you get on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest