The Student Room Group

Would you date a trans person?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minimarshmallow
Do you require genetic testing to ensure there are no intersex conditions?

Normally it is pretty easy to see, especially when you take a look downstairs.
Nope.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Normally it is pretty easy to see, especially when you take a look downstairs.

Not always, a lot of young women with conditions such as androgen insensitivity syndrome don't even know till they look into why they haven't menstruated by their late teens...
No, because I do not find them attractive
Not always, a lot of young women with conditions such as androgen insensitivity syndrome don't even know till they look into why they haven't menstruated by their late teens...

I would also think if a trans person did want to date you that it would be best if they told you at the start, but if not the second I found out I would just leave
Original post by JamesManc
No, because I do not find them attractive

Have you met them all? I'm impressed if you have.
Pre-op, no.

Post-op difficult. Probably yes.
Probably not, can't say for certain
Unless they were indistinguishable from a cis woman it'd be off putting. If they were who knows? :dontknow:

If they couldn't have kids it may be a dealbreaker in the distant future but right now idc about kids rn
Yes. :yep:
I would also think if a trans person did want to date you that it would be best if they told you at the start, but if not the second I found out I would just leave

That's a totally different question. One which also isn't straightfoward because I don't generally start conversations with "Hi, I'm Caroline, XX chromosomes and the corresponding hormones and phenotypes, and I also identify as a woman gender wise" which is obvious because that would be stupid even for me who wasn't risking her life saying such a thing in case I told the wrong person.

I was looking at your saying you wanted a "genetic woman", but unless you were having every person you were looking to date checked chromosomally then you couldn't be sure you were, she might not even be sure if you are. When I said earlier I have XX chromosomes that was a total assumption based on my development and reaction to certain drugs etc. I could be a genetic mosaic and not know it (although the chances are unlikely by my age) or I could have absorbed a male twin in utereo.

Since I imagine these aren't the things you're worrying about when choosing a partner, then I think "genetic woman" possibly isn't the criterium you actually apply.
That's a totally different question. One which also isn't straightfoward because I don't generally start conversations with "Hi, I'm Caroline, XX chromosomes and the corresponding hormones and phenotypes, and I also identify as a woman gender wise" which is obvious because that would be stupid even for me who wasn't risking her life saying such a thing in case I told the wrong person.

I was looking at your saying you wanted a "genetic woman", but unless you were having every person you were looking to date checked chromosomally then you couldn't be sure you were, she might not even be sure if you are. When I said earlier I have XX chromosomes that was a total assumption based on my development and reaction to certain drugs etc. I could be a genetic mosaic and not know it (although the chances are unlikely by my age) or I could have absorbed a male twin in utereo.

Since I imagine these aren't the things you're worrying about when choosing a partner, then I think "genetic woman" possibly isn't the criterium you actually apply.

No it is, I would want a genetic woman not somone who claims to be a woman, someone who can bear children and who was born a woman and still is a woman
No because they should date themselves.
No it is, I would want a genetic woman not somone who claims to be a woman, someone who can bear children and who was born a woman and still is a woman

But some people who have genetic mosaic conditions have XX chromosomes in at least some of their cells, would have woman as their gender, would be able to bear children (might need a tiny bit of help with hormones possibly, but so do some people who aren't genetic mosaic) and would have been born and woman and still a woman by your description, but I feel like this isn't what you're referring to.

If it is, please forgive me.

And while a woman who is XY who has androgen insensitivity syndrome fails on your genetic test that you're not actually performing and also wouldn't be able to bear children, I don't imagine any of this coming up on the first date, especially when there's a chance, depending on her age, she might not even know yet.

Or, do you pay for the genetic test to see if she's definitely all XX?
But some people who have genetic mosaic conditions have XX chromosomes in at least some of their cells, would have woman as their gender, would be able to bear children (might need a tiny bit of help with hormones possibly, but so do some people who aren't genetic mosaic) and would have been born and woman and still a woman by your description, but I feel like this isn't what you're referring to.

And while a woman who is XY who has androgen insensitivity syndrome fails on your genetic test that you're not actually performing and also wouldn't be able to bear children, I don't imagine any of this coming up on the first date, especially when there's a chance, depending on her age, she might not even know yet.

It kinda is what I am referring to. and if my potential wife could not bear children I would find it very hard too.

Why are you making this so complicated lol
It kinda is what I am referring to. and if my potential wife could not bear children I would find it very hard too.

I understand a desire for children. But it isn't only transwomen who can't bear children.
Original post by cherryred90s
Why are you making this so complicated lol

It is complicated. I'm just reflecting the reality of the situation.
No

The thought of this person was once a guy puts me off and I can't stop it
I'm not about that life. Simply knowing that they were once a male is enough to put me off.

I understand a desire for children. But it isn't only transwomen who can't bear children.
l

Then he probably wouldn't date those people either.
(edited 7 years ago)
It is complicated. I'm just reflecting the reality of the situation.

Nothing complicated about wanting a biological woman/man.

Quick Reply

Latest