The Student Room Group

*AQA ONLY* - Are the Grade Boundaries going up by a lot?

Do you guys think that the grade boundaries are going to be significantly higher because for example for AQA chemistry last year 50 was an A* and in 2014 47 was an A*
Reply 1
I thought grade boundaries were based on how hard/easy people found the exams?
Reply 2
Boundaries are dependant on how many people do good or bad each year. Can't really see A* being above 52 AT MAX.
Reply 3
Original post by luciie
Yup! it is based on how people found it but do you think it's gonna go up? well if the exam is easy they yeah, right?
Thank you anyways! xo
Original post by ShaikhaAlK
Do you guys think that the grade boundaries are going to be significantly higher because for example for AQA chemistry last year 50 was an A* and in 2014 47 was an A*

Nobody, not even examiners, knows at this stage what the grade boundaries are going to be, and that is because they are not set until all the papers have been sat and marked.
Reply 5
Original post by luciie
Yup! it is based on how people found it but do you think it's gonna go up? well if the exam is easy they yeah, right?

Thank you anyways! xo
Reply 6
looking at my years attempts at science, they aren't going up :u:

No, it's just that the papers were easier last year for C1 and C2. Like you can see with C3 (which was quite challenging) was 40 for an A*. It's just altering. The situation is worse for AS tbh, like to get an A in Core 1 Maths is increasing on a yearly basis.
Reply 8
Original post by waagh
Boundaries are dependant on how many people do good or bad each year. Can't really see A* being above 52 AT MAX.

Thank you!xo
Original post by luciie

True , if students found the exam extremely hard the grade boundaries would be
quite low
just a tip, on chemistry C3 will have the highest grade boundary
Reply 10
Original post by neil20143
No, it's just that the papers were easier last year for C1 and C2. Like you can see with C3 (which was quite challenging) was 40 for an A*. It's just altering. The situation is worse for AS tbh, like to get an A in Core 1 Maths is increasing on a yearly basis.

Oh haha I hope they are even easier this year (: OMG im so sorry if you're doing AS maths I hope they are not too high this year! xo
Reply 11
Original post by AmirahxRashid

just a tip, on chemistry C3 will have the highest grade boundary

Wait by highest do you mean it would be the hardest do get an A*? xo
they are. It has gone from 39 to 47 to 50 in three years time. Anyone who says otherwise about GCSE science says rubbish
Reply 13
to be honest it's hard to tell if boundaries are going to rise or fall, for a lot of subjects they'll be really high one year and then lower the next. But it does depend on the difficulty of the paper :u:
Reply 14
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Nobody, not even examiners, knows at this stage what the grade boundaries are going to be, and that is because they are not set until all the papers have been sat and marked.

Ohh! I see so they won't know until after exams
Thank you! xo
Ohh! I see so they won't know until after exams
Thank you! xo

No. The boundaries are adjusted when all the marks are in so that the same proportion of grades is maintained from year to year (roughly). If the paper is hard, the boundaries will be lower and if it is easier then they will be higher. It's more or less supposed to make it so that you get the grade you would have always got in comparison with your peers, no matter how hard or easy the paper is.
Maybe they're increasing because students are getting smarter/working harder for these exams each year :dontknow:
Wait by highest do you mean it would be the hardest do get an A*? xo

Yes, because it has less content than C1 and C2
but GOOD LUCK to all of us
xx
Original post by surina16
Maybe they're increasing because students are getting smarter/working harder for these exams each year :dontknow:

They are also doing it because more pupils are getting A*
so they are increasing the grade boundaries so there is more competition
for jobs, as jobs are decreasing
xx
No, They are going down. I can see it happening.

Quick Reply

Latest