The Student Room Group

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
Why did you make this thread?

For a sensible discussion, but thats not how it turned out
Original post by Sacred Ground
I admire you holding your own against insecure art students

Posted from TSR Mobile

You say arts students are insecure yet it's always stem students who make these stupid threads :colonhash:
You say arts students are insecure yet it's always stem students who make these stupid threads :colonhash:

First time I've seen a thread like this
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
How about you stop with your self righteous tone, you sound like a butthurt non STEM student. The facts are there, your argument is fundamentally flawed since you seem to think that things like better pay and career prospects doesnt make it better. You are wrong. Sure, people have preferences but in generic terms, you are better off with a STEM degree. Now go away, this is your insecurities talking, trying to belittle me when really youre coming across as an ignorant bigot. Pathetic.

I wouldn't say my argument is flawed.

I actually agree that STEM is better than non-STEM, but I say that because of what I value personally, I understand that it is a subjective notion and I know people who disagree and I don't claim my opinion is an objective one. That's where we differ.

Also, regarding self righteous tones, I'd say that's a little rich considering you've created a whole 'persona' dedicated to publicising your 'self righteous' opinion that STEM subjects are better.

I will go away now, because I have better things to do, but I really hope you do become more open minded. I admire your passion and you obviously can articulate well, but you need logical development and maturity and then you could have the ability to make great arguments. Right now your ignorance is getting the way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by superanon1
I wouldn't say my argument is flawed.

I actually agree that STEM is better than non-STEM, but I say that because of what I value personally, I understand that it is a subjective notion and I know people who disagree and I don't claim my opinion is an objective one. That's where we differ.

Also, regarding self righteous tones, I'd say that's a little rich considering you've created a whole 'persona' dedicated to publicising your 'self righteous' opinion that STEM subjects are better.

I will go away now, because I have better things to do, but I really hope you do become more open minded. I admire your passion and you obviously can articulate well, but you need logical development and maturity and then you could have the ability to make great arguments. Right now your ignorance is getting the way.

Yes pls do go away, you continue to make general statements and continue to ignore my posts with your flawed logic, even after i have shown how silly it is.
:naughty:

[video="youtube;NK5-2fPyCjA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK5-2fPyCjA[/video]
Why would you laugh though?

Where is an a level in religious studies going to get you in life?

@ivybridge specifically

@ivybridge specifically

Depends on what you want to do in life..
Depends on what you want to do in life..

Religious studies a level is a waste of time, no ifs and buts about it.

Doing religious studies at A level doesn't limit you to religious studies for the rest of your life. You do know that?
yay! i feel like if you look at it from THE simplest point of view, it is the study of one of the most relevant parts of society (money) and therefore cannot be undermined simply by not being a part of the STEM group.
well obviously the solution to this is to redefine STEM such that it includes economics. magic!

hmm, i wonder if i could recycle this trick and avoid ever being wrong again....

BUT it encourages you to practice critical thinking. far more than critical thinking does, in fact. so IF you're interested in being less wrong, i'd say it's worth doing

@ivybridge specifically

tbf other than to uni where do any A-levels get you in life
links or it didnt happen :P
yeah I can understand why earns high amounts (most people likely to go into finance related careers with it) which is why I never really understood the stem vs non stem debate, salary varies from subject to subject not just stem and non stem :smile: and even within the same subject as people do lots of different things after finishing their degree
Original post by madmadmax321
yeah I can understand why earns high amounts (most people likely to go into finance related careers with it) which is why I never really understood the stem vs non stem debate, salary varies from subject to subject not just stem and non stem :smile: and even within the same subject as people do lots of different things after finishing their degree

Tendency of those undergoing different subjects to go into differing jobs varies, thus average outcome (salary) varies.

T'isn't subject to subject, t'is more about averaging out a combination of people's job/career decisions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madmadmax321

talking about economics related careers - is HMRC quite a good destination? i was thinking of IB but for me the lifestyle that comes with it is too demanding so i looked up more 'stable' career paths. im talking specifically about hmrc tax professional graduate scheme. anyone know much about it?
Original post by Princepieman
Tendency of those undergoing different subjects to go into differing jobs varies, thus average outcome (salary) varies.

T'isn't subject to subject, t'is more about averaging out a combination of people's job/career decisions

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, I just feel like tsr only values money yet goes on and on about how more mathematical the subject is the higher salary you can achieve with it which just isnt the case (otherwise maths and physics grads would earn alot more than engineers that contrary to popular belief dont do too much maths imo)

I also think tsr, because of the younger age therefore in many cases mindset, think the best careers are the highest paying no matter the job security, hours, amount of moving about etc
Original post by minjinoor
talking about economics related careers - is HMRC quite a good destination? i was thinking of IB but for me the lifestyle that comes with it is too demanding so i looked up more 'stable' career paths. im talking specifically about hmrc tax professional graduate scheme. anyone know much about it?

Sorry bud its not something I know anything about, have you tried searching for it on prospects.com etc and seeing if they have any case studies on the career?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending