The Student Room Group

Would you date a trans person?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, If my partner transitioned during a relationship I would also be okay with that.
Original post by cherryred90s
Nothing complicated about wanting a biological woman/man.

Define a biological woman.

Genetics: Not that simple: Intersex conditions, genetic mosaic.
Genitals: Not that simple: Intersex conditions, hermaphroditism.
Hormones: Not that simple: Androgen insensitivity, naturally different hormone levels anyway...

And I also don't think you're checking all of those three things on the first date. Maybe the middle one depending on how the date went and the consent of both parties, but beyond that it's just a guessing game isn't it?
Original post by Lawliettt
I'm not about that life. Simply knowing that they were once a male is enough to put me off.

l

Then he probably wouldn't date those people either.

But his specification of a genetic female doesn't make that distinction.
No, it just really weird to me to be dating someone who isn't originally a female.
(edited 7 years ago)
i think it would depend- like if they transititioned when they were pre pubesesant and so like compleatly the other sex and had never been any differnt and looked and sounded the same then maybe but i couldn't date someone who was like ovbiously not the right gender if that makes sense- like (im a hetro girl so this doesn't apply) but i could never date caitlyn jenner cos she doesn't sound like a girl if you get my drift... also, i'd want them to, ahem, be able to have normal sex.. i dunno i'd prefer not to
I definitely wouldn't rule it out beforehand, but I don't know what I'd do if it became a sexual relationship or got really serious. I just don't know how I'd react.
if they were full op then yeah sure no problem. If they still had male bits, no I'm afraid not.
I certainly think I would be open to it; personally, I like guys, and for 'certain purposes' male genitals would be preferable, however I would date a trans guy if I was into them.
No, I personally feel romantically turned off by the thought of being with a transgender person.
Original post by Anonymous
If not, why?

yeah yolo
Original post by Jonsmith98
Yes, If my partner transitioned during a relationship I would also be okay with that.

If your partner transitioned during the relationship you would still continue the relationship? Surely your relationship would change drastically, even if you love them the same amount the dynamic would be different? I can understand if you yourself are bi but if you are straight and your partner changes to the same sex as you surely you can't stay in the relationship?
Original post by minimarshmallow
Have you met them all? I'm impressed if you have.

You don't have to have met every single person that possesses a characteristic to find it unattractive.

For example, I don't have to have seen every penis in the world to know I'm straight, and would never date somebody with a penis.
You don't have to have met every single person that possesses a characteristic to find it unattractive.

For example, I don't have to have seen every penis in the world to know I'm straight, and would never date somebody with a penis.

A penis is a physical characteristic that I could see what it would be a deal breaker. Being trans is not a physical characteristic, does not necessitate any kind of genitals or any other secondary sexual characteristics being present, so it's not exactly the same kind of way to look at it.

Also, the thing that generally attracts me to a person isn't their genitals. Not least because I can't see them immediately.
If your partner transitioned during the relationship you would still continue the relationship? Surely your relationship would change drastically, even if you love them the same amount the dynamic would be different? I can understand if you yourself are bi but if you are straight and your partner changes to the same sex as you surely you can't stay in the relationship?

I'm not bi-sexual, I am gay however. If I love someone then I love them for who they are as a person not as an object. Just because someone transitions doesn't mean that they are fundamentally a completely different person. The fact of the matter is i love people for their personality not for what they have in their trousers.
Original post by minimarshmallow
A penis is a physical characteristic that I could see what it would be a deal breaker. Being trans is not a physical characteristic, does not necessitate any kind of genitals or any other secondary sexual characteristics being present, so it's not exactly the same kind of way to look at it.

Also, the thing that generally attracts me to a person isn't their genitals. Not least because I can't see them immediately.

I was just using genitalia as an example - people are perfectly entitled to their personal romantic preferences that include or exclude any characteristic, be it sexual orientation, body size, skin colour, anything. Everybody is entitled to their own romantic opinions.

You can't argue that people shouldn't be turned off by something, this is equally as oppressive and offensive to as telling people they shouldn't be turned on by something, or shouldn't have a specific sexual orientation or identify as a certain gender.
Original post by silverbolt
if they were full op then yeah sure no problem. If they still had male bits, no I'm afraid not.

They'll always have male bits, you just can't see it
I was just using genitalia as an example - people are perfectly entitled to their personal romantic preferences that include or exclude any characteristic, be it sexual orientation, body size, skin colour, anything. Everybody is entitled to their own romantic opinions.

You can't argue that people shouldn't be turned off by something, this is equally as oppressive and offensive to as telling people they shouldn't be turned on by something, or shouldn't have a specific sexual orientation or identify as a certain gender.

I'm not saying you can't be turned off by something, just that there isn't one thing that trans* people as a whole possess, so I don't know what the thing is that you're turned off by...
Original post by Tootles
Because my sexuality generally leans toward women. Actual women, with actual genuine certified women-bits.

Why the **** should I have to justify myself.

having "actual genuine certified women-bits" does not constitute being a "real woman". obviously you are entitled to your sexual preferences, but there is a far less transphobic, less malicious way of phrasing this
nope, just not as attractive to me
I wouldn't not be attracted to them because of the fact that they were trans, or consider them not a real man. If a woman went so far to change into a man, there would be a reason she made that choice so the new man couldn't not be considered "manly" if that makes sense? However sexually they wouldn't have a real penis. End of. That is the only issue I would have with the concept :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending