The Student Room Group

GCSE Science - Environmental problems?

Hey, I know this sounds slightly dumb but I'm actually quite confused as to how pollution occurs.....

I'm aware of the general idea - burning stuff release CO2, global warming etc...but how does it happen? Does all pollution happen from burning fossil fuels? How do we produce sulphur dioxide? Does using crude oil pollute?

Any help will be much appreciated!! :smile:
Hi,
I'm not too sure myself now that you have said it but, sulfur dioxide is formed during combustion of fossil fuels. When sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides are released, acid rain is formed.
And pollution comes from car engines as well I think.
And yes, burning crude oil does release pollutants.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help, but Good Luck!
Crude Oil contain hydrocarbons which contain carbon (the main element in most of the pollutants) and often fuels for combustion will contain impurities such as sulphur.

The majority of polluting agents are:
- CO2
- SO2
- Nitrous Oxides
- Carbon Particulates
- Carbon Monoxide

The CO2 is released as the carbon from the hydrocarbon reacts with oxygen from the air to produce CO2
The S02 or sulphur dioxide is released as sulphur impurities in the fossil fuel is heated high enough to react with oxygen from the air to produce CO2.
Nitrous Oxides are mainly produced in vehicle engines where the heat and immense pressure of the combustion forces nitrogen in the ir to react with oxygen to produce variable nitrous oxides.
Finally carbon monoxide and carbon particulates are only released in the event of incomplete combustion (so there is not enough oxygen in the air for complete combustion to occur). The carbon monoxide is due to carbon reacting with limited oxygen and carbon particulates are released as a extra.

Crude Oil itself does not pollute but it's hydrocarbon fractions (petrol, diesel, refinery gas, kerosene etc.)that are extracted during fractional distillation are the compounds that cause the polluting as they are the fuel for combustion.
Original post by elizaaaaaas
Hi,
I'm not too sure myself now that you have said it but, sulfur dioxide is formed during combustion of fossil fuels. When sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides are released, acid rain is formed.
And pollution comes from car engines as well I think.
And yes, burning crude oil does release pollutants.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help, but Good Luck!

Original post by PHInfinity
Crude Oil contain hydrocarbons which contain carbon (the main element in most of the pollutants) and often fuels for combustion will contain impurities such as sulphur.

The majority of polluting agents are:
- CO2
- SO2
- Nitrous Oxides
- Carbon Particulates
- Carbon Monoxide

The CO2 is released as the carbon from the hydrocarbon reacts with oxygen from the air to produce CO2
The S02 or sulphur dioxide is released as sulphur impurities in the fossil fuel is heated high enough to react with oxygen from the air to produce CO2.
Nitrous Oxides are mainly produced in vehicle engines where the heat and immense pressure of the combustion forces nitrogen in the ir to react with oxygen to produce variable nitrous oxides.
Finally carbon monoxide and carbon particulates are only released in the event of incomplete combustion (so there is not enough oxygen in the air for complete combustion to occur). The carbon monoxide is due to carbon reacting with limited oxygen and carbon particulates are released as a extra.

Crude Oil itself does not pollute but it's hydrocarbon fractions (petrol, diesel, refinery gas, kerosene etc.)that are extracted during fractional distillation are the compounds that cause the polluting as they are the fuel for combustion.

Oooooo, thank you all very very much! I now have a greater understanding - thank you!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest