The Student Room Group

AS Official Edexcel 1 Psychology Unit 1: Social and Cognitive Psychology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmilyPlatypus
It's realistic conflict theory that talks about competition SIT states that it can occur without competition, just the creation of two groups :smile:
(I'm always scared of posting answers in threads in case I get them wrong)

Aha same, but that is correct
Reply 61
It's realistic conflict theory that talks about competition SIT states that it can occur without competition, just the creation of two groups :smile:
(I'm always scared of posting answers in threads in case I get them wrong)

Okay yeah thanks, I Googled the difference between SIT and RCT & what you said is right :biggrin:
Reply 62
Is anyone able to explain the Sebastian and Hernandez-Gil 2012 study pleaaase???
Reply 63
Original post by issy0209
Is anyone able to explain the Sebastian and Hernandez-Gil 2012 study pleaaase???

Basically the aim was to investigate the if the capacity of the phonological loop increased with age so to do this they measured the digit span of children ages 5-17

So for methodology-
570 Spanish children aged 5-17 with no impairments in reading, listening or writing
Lap experiment
Independent measures
IV- the age group of the children (they were split into groups ages 5, 6-8, 9-11 , 12-14 and 15-17)
DV- how many numbers they could recall in the correct order

Procedure -
1)- each participant was read a sequence of numbers
2)- the participants recalled the digits in what they thought was the correct order
3)- step 1&2 was repeated but each time one new digit was added to the sequence
4)- they counted the longest sequence that the participant could recall( this was there digit span)

Results-
They found that p's aged 5 had the lowest digit span of around 3.7 and p's aged 15-17 had the highest digit span of around 5.8
They also found that although the digit span did increase with age the rate at which it increased started to slow down at the age of 11

Conclusions-
-as age increases the capacity of the phonological loop increases and once you've reached the age of 11 it starts to mature reach its near maximum level

I really hope this makes sense, if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by beth000
Basically the aim was to investigate the if the capacity of the phonological loop increased with age so to do this they measured the digit span of children ages 5-17

So for methodology-
570 Spanish children aged 5-17 with no impairments in reading, listening or writing
Lap experiment
Independent measures
IV- the age group of the children (they were split into groups ages 5, 6-8, 9-11 , 12-14 and 15-17)
DV- how many numbers they could recall in the correct order

Procedure -
1)- each participant was read a sequence of numbers
2)- the participants recalled the digits in what they thought was the correct order
3)- step 1&2 was repeated but each time one new digit was added to the sequence
4)- they counted the longest sequence that the participant could recall( this was there digit span)

Results-
They found that p's aged 5 had the lowest digit span of around 3.7 and p's aged 15-17 had the highest digit span of around 5.8
They also found that although the digit span did increase with age the rate at which it increased started to slow down at the age of 11

Conclusions-
-as age increases the capacity of the phonological loop increases and once you've reached the age of 11 it starts to mature reach its near maximum level

I really hope this makes sense, if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou so so much! Thats a lot clearer! :smile:
Reply 65
As this is the new a level, it won't be marked harshly and the grade boundaries will apparently be low, i've been told this by a teacher who used to be an examiner, however, make sure you're confident with everything and good luck for tomorrow!! We're all going to do great!!
Has anyone else hit a wall with revision? :erm:
I just keep going over the same thing and I'm so tired haha
Thank goodness there's a multiple choice at the beginning :laugh::laugh:
Has anyone else hit a wall with revision? :erm:
I just keep going over the same thing and I'm so tired haha
Thank goodness there's a multiple choice at the beginning :laugh::laugh:

There's multiple choice in the edexcel paper?!!
Original post by Beccaisfab
There's multiple choice in the edexcel paper?!!

Yeah oh my gosh you just made me doubt myself hahah

This is the thread for the old spec edexcel? So I presume it's just mostly resitters from last year
Yeah oh my gosh you just made me doubt myself hahah

This is the thread for the old spec edexcel? So I presume it's just mostly resitters from last year

It's a new spec thread I believe, Multiple choice isn't at the beginning of new spec
If there's no multiple choice in section A, what does section A consist of? Just regular 2/3/4 mark questions?
Original post by Profanity
It's a new spec thread I believe, Multiple choice isn't at the beginning of new spec

Oh I got really confused? Because earlier on in the thread the content seemed exactly the same and the predictions someone gave seemed to line up with the old spec
My mistake
Damn I was really excited to find a thread for this exam :laugh::laugh:
Reply 72
Oh I got really confused? Because earlier on in the thread the content seemed exactly the same and the predictions someone gave seemed to line up with the old spec
My mistake

I think this IS a thread made for the old spec but people are just confused because a lot of the content is the same!
Original post by zoeemmacfc
If there's no multiple choice in section A, what does section A consist of? Just regular 2/3/4 mark questions?

yes
look at the specimen paper, that's how the layout will be.

My mistake

lmao so was i. WAIT IT THIS FOR THE OLD SPEC?!?! tf oh well the basic knowledge is mostly the same.
tbh we can still discuss it, the exam is tomorrow and I'm shitting it i'm only half way through revision :/
My mistake

Dw I'm a resitter too haha,what do you want to get? I got an E last year but need a B...
Original post by harrietaa
Dw I'm a resitter too haha,what do you want to get? I got an E last year but need a B...

I got a B overall last year but a low C on this particular exam. I'm hoping for an A to do psychology at uni :smile:
I got a B overall last year but a low C on this particular exam. I'm hoping for an A to do psychology at uni :smile:

ahh good luck! I got a high D last year, but E in this paper- last years was just impossible! praying for a social 12 marker ahaha
Original post by harrietaa
ahh good luck! I got a high D last year, but E in this paper- last years was just impossible! praying for a social 12 marker ahaha

Good luck to you too! I'm hoping it's a study question as opposed to a theories question as the 12 marker, I just find them easier haha
Good luck to you too! I'm hoping it's a study question as opposed to a theories question as the 12 marker, I just find them easier haha

Re-sitter here too, hoping for an A ;p sorry i believe I mixed up the thread a little bit with my old spec predictions and answers. Good luck to you tomorrow :smile:

Yeah same, GRAVE makes it so much simpler

Quick Reply

Latest