The Student Room Group

Donald Trump: Brexit would not put UK at back of queue with US

Donald Trump has said leaving the EU would not put Britain at the back of the queue to secure a US trade deal under his presidency a move applauded by the Ukip leader, Nigel Farage, who admitted he had reservations about backing the controversial Republican.

Referring to Barack Obama’s warning to Britain over the EU referendum, Trump, who is on track to secure the Republican nomination, said:
I think if I were from Britain I would probably want to go back to a different system.

Questioned about Britain’s place in any queue under a Trump presidency in an interview with Piers Morgan, to be broadcast on ITV on Monday, he said:
I don’t want to say front or anything else.

I mean, I’m going to treat everybody fairly but it wouldn’t make any difference to me whether they were in the EU or not. You’d certainly not be at the back of the queue, that I can tell you.

Responding to clips from the broadcast, shown on ITV’s Peston on Sunday, Farage, who had criticised Obama’s intervention, welcomed Trump’s comments. He said:
It just goes to show Donald Trump is measured, neutral, doesn’t want to get stuck into the punch-up. He’s given a very diplomatic answer.

Asked if he would back Trump, Farage, who has said he shares concerns about an out-of-touch political class with the American, implied he would do so, but reluctantly.

I have difficulty with that,
Farage told Peston.
Let’s put it like this, I couldn’t vote for [Hillary Clinton] even if you paid me.

If you put me up against a wall it would be [Trump] not Hillary, but I have reservations. Encouraging people to beat up protesters, one or two things like that bother me, but look, I tell you what, I think he’s going to win.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/15/eu-referendum-donald-trump-brexit-uk-back-queue-us
(edited 7 years ago)
Of course it wouldn't, Trump is the only one that doesn't have a globalist agenda
great! so britain can have good trade with the US while it actively deports 11 million people and sends megyn kelly and bill maher to guantanamo
Pfft yeah ok, you lot need to get your head out of the clouds, we're not some special country lol
I'm not looking forward to being dependent on a man who we not only ridiculed but considered banning from our country.
Reply 6
Original post by lolatmaths
Pfft yeah ok, you lot need to get your head out of the clouds, we're not some special country lol

Actually yes we are special enough to be far from the back of the queue, seeing as we're America's 7th biggest trade partner...
Obama was very stupid to issue that 'threat' which is really what it was.
Original post by difeo
Actually yes we are special enough to be far from the back of the queue, seeing as we're America's 7th biggest trade partner...

You wish mate, theyve made it clear other countries are ahead of us as well as the TTIP, a clear priority.

Its just silly nationalists that believe the ******** Drumpf feeds us because they think 'Britain is special'
Reply 9
You wish mate, theyve made it clear other countries are ahead of us as well as the TTIP, a clear priority.

Its just silly nationalists that believe the ******** Drumpf feeds us because they think 'Britain is special'

Yes Obama claimed that because it suits him, as ideally for them we'd stay in the EU. But to think that the USA is just not going to bother sorting out a trade deal with the 5th biggest economy in the world, how naive can you get?

Going totally the other way and acting like the UK isn't an important country is just as stupid as the silly nationalists.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by difeo
Yes Obama claimed that because it suits him, as ideally for them we'd stay in the EU. But to think that the USA is just not going to bother sorting out a trade deal with the 5th biggest economy in the world, how naive can you get?

Going totally the other way and acting like the UK isn't an important country is just as stupid as the silly nationalists.

You think they will say one thing and act against it if we leave? Youre naive if you think so
Reply 11
You think they will say one thing and act against it if we leave? Youre naive if you think so

Well Obama won't be in power so won't be acting against it
Original post by difeo
Well Obama won't be in power so won't be acting against it

His advisors will be. It would be more beneficial for america to set up the TTIP. Plus there are countries ahead of us. Alongside this, we still have 50% of trade out of the EU, much of which does go to the Americans, particularly banking, and services where we have a surplus in. We are not an imminent priority.

Saying we are the 5th biggest economy so they will set up a deal straight away is very naive and simple minded.
Original post by BasicMistake
I'm not looking forward to being dependent on a man who we not only ridiculed but considered banning from our country.

Remember how Jesus was crucified on the cross for the sins of the people? That's why Cameron is getting ousted after this referendum.
His advisors will be. It would be more beneficial for america to set up the TTIP. Plus there are countries ahead of us. Alongside this, we still have 50% of trade out of the EU, much of which does go to the Americans, particularly banking, and services where we have a surplus in. We are not an imminent priority.

Saying we are the 5th biggest economy so they will set up a deal straight away is very naive and simple minded.

The UK is not only the 5th largest economy in the world, but she is also one of Americas longest and strongest allies. Many large businesses in the US need and would require a trade agreement with the UK, and to think that the UK would be "at the back if the queue" is naivety.
Original post by The_Opinion
The UK is not only the 5th largest economy in the world, but she is also one of Americas longest and strongest allies. Many large businesses in the US need and would require a trade agreement with the UK, and to think that the UK would be "at the back if the queue" is naivety.

No they dont. Cut the patriotic ********, ive sufficiently explained myself already, this isnt a counter argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending