The Student Room Group

AS English Paper 1

What type of questions do you think will come up for English [Poetry and Othello]
Unfortunately, it's really hard to predict this, as there's only the specimen paper to go on. Assuming you're AQA like me, Othello is passage based and you can bet it'll be on presentations of characters and features of dramatic tragedy. The other bullet point could vary. Poetry, no idea, but if you don't like the poem extract given, run a quick analysis on it and talk about a poem you like better, so long as you can answer the question with it.
Reply 2
Original post by CatusStarbright
Unfortunately, it's really hard to predict this, as there's only the specimen paper to go on. Assuming you're AQA like me, Othello is passage based and you can bet it'll be on presentations of characters and features of dramatic tragedy. The other bullet point could vary. Poetry, no idea, but if you don't like the poem extract given, run a quick analysis on it and talk about a poem you like better, so long as you can answer the question with it.

I've been memorising quotes and all that for Othello, what books are you doing for paper 2? I'm doing A Room with a View and The Mill on the Floss.
Oh are you not AQA?

Original post by iram_b
I've been memorising quotes and all that for Othello, what books are you doing for paper 2? I'm doing A Room with a View and The Mill on the Floss.
Reply 4
The exam board is AQA but different schools read different novels.
Original post by iram_b
The exam board is AQA but different schools read different novels.

I know but Paper 2 is a book and poetry, not two books. I'm doing Othello and Death of a Salesman for Paper 1 and Tess of the d'Urbervilles and the poetry anthology for Paper 2.
Reply 6
I know but Paper 2 is a book and poetry, not two books. I'm doing Othello and Death of a Salesman for Paper 1 and Tess of the d'Urbervilles and the poetry anthology for Paper 2.

I am aware of that there are two papers. Paper 1 for me is Othello and Poetry and Paper 2 is unseen prose and seen prose.
Anyone doing Hamlet and Rossetti, need help dying (OCR)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iram_b
I am aware of that there are two papers. Paper 1 for me is Othello and Poetry and Paper 2 is unseen prose and seen prose.

We do Lit B, maybe you do A?
Reply 9
We do Lit B, maybe you do A?

lmao, wait are you guys doing GCSEs? I'm do A levels.
Original post by iram_b

I'm doing the same exam as you!

For othello: the first bullet point will be about love/relationships, the second could be anything- possiblg jealousy/female characters/tragedy

I'm doing pre-19th century poetry and really hoping for she walks in beauty

Paper 2: I'm doing Gatsby and Rebecca
Original post by iram_b
lmao, wait are you guys doing GCSEs? I'm do A levels.

No, I'm doing AS
Reply 12
Are there any key quotes you recommend I remember for Othello?
Reply 13
Focus mainly on Iago's and Othello's quote. Iago is the puppet master he manipulates people 'I follow him to serve my turn upon him', Iago however is seen as an 'honest man'.
Reply 14
Original post by Iloveowls16
I'm doing the same exam as you!

For othello: the first bullet point will be about love/relationships, the second could be anything- possiblg jealousy/female characters/tragedy

I'm doing pre-19th century poetry and really hoping for she walks in beauty

Paper 2: I'm doing Gatsby and Rebecca

We received a different poem anthology, I'm personally hoping the Love Poem by Carol Ann Duffy comes up.
Reply 15
all we can really say for sure is that the pre 1900 is extremely unlikely to be the scrutiny, as that was the specimen paper

I'm doing Measure for Measure and I REALLY hope for act two scene four between angelo and Isabella, i will be okay then.

but for poetry it's very hard to judge, she walks in beauty would be great, or the ruined maid, or the flea, or whoso list to hunt
if it is any of them I will be super happy

good luck to everyone though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending