The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rebecca_:)
Lol, no not yet... Still undergoing pre employment checks!

Hopefully all will work out. God knows how long it will take to get a start date.....

Well done Rebecca on your offer, you were waiting for quite a while - I see the wait is slowly and finally paying off!

Well done to everyone else as well who have received offers!

Does anyone know how long it can take to progress from O to HO? Obviously I'm keen to climb up the salary ladder!
Original post by lawgrad13
Well done Rebecca on your offer, you were waiting for quite a while - I see the wait is slowly and finally paying off!

Well done to everyone else as well who have received offers!

Does anyone know how long it can take to progress from O to HO? Obviously I'm keen to climb up the salary ladder!

Cheers! This provisional is just AO grade. But like you I'm keen to climb so hopefully will be EO in no time!

Best just to get in at a lower grade and work my way up I think ha!

Bet you're over the moon- the reserve list we didn't think would happen. I have to reply to my email as they have asked do I want different locations and am I still interested in the role still
Original post by Ggg1111111
What markings did you get form the HO recruitment and did you get a lot of negative feedback

I got 3, 3, 3 in my HO interview - the feedback was very short and unfairly critical - apparently I didn't talk enough about the tasks I was responsible for in my examples. I had spent a lot of time preparing my examples and I thought I done well...but clearly not!
I was given 3,3,3 as well. It's amazing the way the mark 3 is awarded across board. I only got one negative feedback on collaborating competency saying my example was not strong. And the other 2 competencies I was given a 3 with positive feedback.lol. Honestly.
Original post by Ggg1111111
What markings did you get form the HO recruitment and did you get a lot of negative feedback

I got 5,6,6 provisional offer for HO role in Manchester. Just going through pre employment checks now. :smile:
Reply 185
I got 6, 5, 4 for the HO role Liverpool, and got put on the reserve list on 9th May. I was given a provisional offer on 13th May for the same role...
Original post by Hayho
I got 6, 5, 4 for the HO role Liverpool, and got put on the reserve list on 9th May. I was given a provisional offer on 13th May for the same role...

Comgrats! I interviewed previously for this job in Liverpool but only made the reserve list! Are you just going through pre - employment checks now?
Reply 187
Original post by rebecca_:)
Comgrats! I interviewed previously for this job in Liverpool but only made the reserve list! Are you just going through pre - employment checks now?

thanks, yes, just going through the checks. not sure what the starting pay will be, nor if there is pay progression on pay scales. have you since re-applied?
Reply 188
Original post by Echopark88
I got 5,6,6 provisional offer for HO role in Manchester. Just going through pre employment checks now. :smile:

Congrats, I've got a provisional offer for Liverpool for HO role. Do you know what the starting salary is, and whether there is movement up the payscale?
Reply 189
Original post by Hayho
Congrats, I've got a provisional offer for Liverpool for HO role. Do you know what the starting salary is, and whether there is movement up the payscale?

The pay range is roughly 29-33k. Presumably it increases from starting at min to maximum in around 5 years.
Original post by GNH
The pay range is roughly 29-33k. Presumably it increases from starting at min to maximum in around 5 years.

You presume wrong! Unfortunately pay restraint has meant no guaranteed pay progression for years now. People at the bottom of the pay range are still near it years later. Pay rises are capped at 1% for the rest of this parliament

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191
Original post by GNH

Thanks for that. So we should get a formal offer over the next few weeks I guess.
Reply 192
Original post by gavin_1980
You presume wrong! Unfortunately pay restraint has meant no guaranteed pay progression for years now. People at the bottom of the pay range are still near it years later. Pay rises are capped at 1% for the rest of this parliament

Posted from TSR Mobile

So this presumably means that I will start on the 29k salary as HO, and could remain on that salary for years (plus the 1% annual rise), depending on future governments and what they decide on pay? So no pay progression unless you get promoted?
Reply 193
Original post by gavin_1980

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you don't move up the rungs at all? That's strange! I'm an NI civil servant and although there is no annual increase to each paypoint, we still move up a paypoint each year. People who are at the top get a one off payment of 1% as their salary isn't changing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by GNH
So you don't move up the rungs at all? That's strange! I'm an NI civil servant and although there is no annual increase to each paypoint, we still move up a paypoint each year. People who are at the top get a one off payment of 1% as their salary isn't changing.

I do find it concerning that i could take the job and be stuck on the starting pay point for years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hayho
I do find it concerning that i could take the job and be stuck on the starting pay point for years.

Welcome to the civil service.
Reply 196
I was on the reserve list for around five months for officer in Belfast. I received a provisional offer on Thursday. It's very exciting, but also a bit nerve wracking waiting for the checks to be completed. You can be on the reserve list for months and then an offer comes up :smile:.
There is no longer guaranteed pay progression in the Civil Service. In my current dept (Home Office) they 'bought out' our pay progression - it was either accept a buy out or have removal of progression imposed, with no compensation.

In fact twice in the last four years I've had pay cuts, due to changes to pensions and NI. Proposed changes to the Civil Service Compensation Scheme (the redundancy scheme) also make the Civil Service a much less appealing employer than in the past.

I think some people also need to be realistic about the chances of promotion, it's not a case of do a few years and then get promoted; it's very competitive nowadays with often 100+ applying for just one post. Also consider where the thousands of displaced staff from HMRC regional offices will be going.

I have a provisional offer for Liverpool and I'm considering it very carefully, as its a level transfer for me, and i need to be sure I won't be on worse terms & conditions than with Home Office.

If I could give you any advice; it's join PCS on entry. Even if you think you'll never need them - it's insurance.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have just been offered an O post in Belfast which has a starting salary of 23010 but searched in vain for a payscale. there doesnt appear to be one! can you shed any light on this. the post is for hmrc
Original post by Ogt
I was on the reserve list for around five months for officer in Belfast. I received a provisional offer on Thursday. It's very exciting, but also a bit nerve wracking waiting for the checks to be completed. You can be on the reserve list for months and then an offer comes up :smile:.

I've also just recieved a provisional offer for and officer in Belfast. It has taken forever. I am just hoping that the checks come through quickly!

Latest

Trending

Trending