The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Everglow
Calm down my friend. I know it's a tough day to be a scouser, but remember you'll never walk alone. You can always buy someone to walk with you.

Love the excuse making for poor performance. :congrats: If you did well you'd be saying the Europa League wasn't your priority. :lol:
The difference is, Lucio, Samir and I have had an interesting discussion. You, on the other hand, are responding with some not so subtle tones of sourgrapes.

Good luck with that. :smile:

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a tool, I'm just sick of people criticising us for finishing 8th when we got to the final of both a domestic and European competition.

I don't know the exact figures but I'm willing to bet we've played among the most games of any team in Europe this season. That's always gonna have a drastic effect on league form, especially when it was obvious fairly early on that top 4 was unrealistic.

Give us credit to the fact that we've shown we have the quality to beat top teams. We've just struggled with the extra games, not to mention a managerial change and a £0 spend.
Original post by llys
It will be interesting how he does it - I agree with everything he says, but here in England people seem to swear on the loan system, which means there is no well-developed alternative for doing things differently (yet - I don't think any club has tried to do without it before).

Well, I don't think he will cut out loans entirely. There are some youngsters who will not form part of his plans at all, and some who will just be too old to survive without gametime. Loans and their effectiveness are much debated between youth coaches, but I think most would say that premier youth talents should be kept and fed into the first team, rather than loaned out. But Rodgers and the head of youth football that he installed were very, very loan orientated; Ojo who's been given decent minutes by Klopp this year is our premier talent and Rodgers/Inglethorpe were happy to loan him out instead of giving him first team exposure. I think Klopp will stop that happening for sure.

In the BuLi they have second teams, so it's easy to keep an eye on youth players whilst giving them great gametime against senior players. In England, the U21 leagues are **** and far too infrequent, so we have resorted to loans. However even the likes of Barca have sent their premier youths out, after they've outgrown the second teams. Ojo, Rodgers would argue, was too good for the U21 league.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lucas seemed to good on the deck today, but I worry for him considering he has been deployed at centre-back predominantly since Klopp came in. It seems to me that he'll be on his way out, and that would be a real shame. I know he's linked away from us every window but, really, he's much better in midfield than the heart of the defence.

He was good in possession today, and his anticipation along the ground to cut out the ball and retain possession was second to none. I worry for him in the back line, because he lacks pace and can be turned easily, plus isn't too aerially dominant.
Those thinking no EL is good for us is just too short term thinking

- chance to get CL football if we don't get it via the league
- helps our co-efficient points in Europe for seeding
- chance for fringe/youth players to get experience
- even first team players lack European experience so good for them in the later stages
- if you can't cope with EL football, what hope do you have of trying to do well in the league + do well in the CL like all the other big clubs do? It's no accident that Atletico did well in the EL before being able to step up in the CL too.
Original post by Zerforax
Those thinking no EL is good for us is just too short term thinking

- chance to get CL football if we don't get it via the league
- helps our co-efficient points in Europe for seeding
- chance for fringe/youth players to get experience
- even first team players lack European experience so good for them in the later stages
- if you can't cope with EL football, what hope do you have of trying to do well in the league + do well in the CL like all the other big clubs do? It's no accident that Atletico did well in the EL before being able to step up in the CL too.

Yup. It's only a negative if you don't have the manager or the squad to cope with it. We have both, so we should have gone for it. I think there is fair criticism of Klopp possible if we don't win on Wednesday, I made a longer post about it recently too.
Original post by sell my secrets
Yup. It's only a negative if you don't have the manager or the squad to cope with it. We have both, so we should have gone for it. I think there is fair criticism of Klopp possible if we don't win on Wednesday, I made a longer post about it recently too.

Not only do we have the manager and players for it but we also have a lot more in revenues compared to the rest (once you strip out Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal) so no excuses really.

Yea win on Wednesday and we've had a good season setting the foundations for the future. Lose and it doesn't look great..
Not only do we have the manager and players for it but we also have a lot more in revenues compared to the rest (once you strip out Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal) so no excuses really.

Yea win on Wednesday and we've had a good season setting the foundations for the future. Lose and it doesn't look great..

Lose and it's a par or slightly above par season I think for any manager in his first year in the country by the results (league and cups). Maybe underpar for Jurgen Klopp. But that's just by the results, which aren't as important when setting your foundations (Rodgers 12-13, Poch 14-15, Heynckes 11-12 maybe, Klopp pre2010). He's given the team and the fans real belief, with the likes of Milner, Lovren, Can, Origi firmly succeeding on the pitch, and Sturridge actually getting on the pitch. And all of a sudden we're actually realistic destinations for top transfer targets.

Matip isn't world class but he's got nearly 50 CL games and 250 club games at 24. And he's free. He'd be a pretty coveted signing this transfer window considering Arsenal, Chelsea, United, City (lol), and continental teams all need centrebacks, and we got it done with no fuss in January. If he was on the market currently, he'd surely have been the backup to Hummels (just like Bayern signed Dante previously). Meanwhile Beckenbauer is publicly telling Gotze, in his own words, the German Messi, to go to Liverpool.

I think we'll win but the future is bright regardless.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio

Give us credit to the fact that we've shown we have the quality to beat top teams. We've just struggled with the extra games, not to mention a managerial change and a £0 spend.

Yes apart from that £80m you spent
Original post by sell my secrets
Lose and it's a par or slightly above par season I think for any manager in his first year in the country by the results (league and cups). Maybe underpar for Jurgen Klopp. But that's just by the results, which aren't as important when setting your foundations (Rodgers 12-13, Poch 14-15, Heynckes 11-12 maybe, Klopp pre2010). He's given the team and the fans real belief, with the likes of Milner, Lovren, Can, Origi firmly succeeding on the pitch, and Sturridge actually getting on the pitch. And all of a sudden we're actually realistic destinations for top transfer targets.

Matip isn't world class but he's got nearly 50 CL games and 250 club games at 24. And he's free. He'd be a pretty coveted signing this transfer window considering Arsenal, Chelsea, United, City (lol), and continental teams all need centrebacks, and we got it done with no fuss in January. If he was on the market currently, he'd surely have been the backup to Hummels (just like Bayern signed Dante previously). Meanwhile Beckenbauer is publicly telling Gotze, in his own words, the German Messi, to go to Liverpool.

I think we'll win but the future is bright regardless.

+1

The future does look bright under Klopp. His enjoyment of the game is infectious both for the players and the fans which is great. I guess the only thing is that transfers really do define a manager's reign so fingers crossed that Klopp and the committee or whoever else is involved gets it right this summer. Can't really afford another 1 step forward and 2 steps back summer.
Original post by difeo
Yes apart from that £80m you spent

All about that net spend which was actually pretty low.

What happened to that £100-150mil that Man Utd spent?
All about that net spend which was actually pretty low.

What happened to that £100-150mil that Man Utd spent?

Well it got us the best young striker in the world and would've won us the league had Shaw not died
Original post by difeo
Well it got us the best young striker in the world and would've won us the league had Shaw not died

Didn't know you bought Dybala or Kane
Original post by difeo

Yes because I forgot an entire team's season depends on their Left Back being fit :rolleyes:
Imagine thinking a fullback can win you the league...
+1

The future does look bright under Klopp. His enjoyment of the game is infectious both for the players and the fans which is great. I guess the only thing is that transfers really do define a manager's reign so fingers crossed that Klopp and the committee or whoever else is involved gets it right this summer. Can't really afford another 1 step forward and 2 steps back summer.

This summer isn't even that hard tbh.

- buy Horn or Karius or Leno (at least two have cheap release clauses)
- decide if Gomez, Toure and Lucas can be our back up CB options in Sakho's absence, if not buy a replacement for Sakho
- buy a defensive left back if you really want
- decide if Henderson is good enough, and if not, buy an upgrade (any of the Gladbach midfielders will do)
- buy Gotze
- buy a winger
- don't sell Sturridge

I actually think it's the simplest summer we've had for a long time. The only critical decisions are not selling Sturridge and getting a new keeper, and there's plenty of great choices. Stuff like selling Allen, selling Benteke, selling Markovic, getting in a left back, they're not that important, even if we all have viewpoints on them. Klopp is already after a winger, doesn't seem like Sturridge will be sold, and gut feeling is that we won't get in a midfielder (instead we'll rotate Firmino and Henderson in the team, with Milner shifting between CM and the half CM, half RW role he can play). Gotze seems straight forward so I'm just praying Klopp realises the need to get a better keeper than Mignolet in, that 5 year contract is scary and we will not go anywhere with him at the back.

Tbh I've bummed on Martial ever since he got here, defended him and said he's the best young attacker since Neymar.

Numbers are repeatable too, conversion rate was virtually the same in the CL this year and Ligue 1 last year. Praying Mourinho sucks the goals out of him like he did with Hazard.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Yes because I forgot an entire team's season depends on their Left Back being fit :rolleyes:

Original post by samir12
Imagine thinking a fullback can win you the league...

Imagine not recognising how good we were before he got injured, the knock on effects of him being injured, and the fact that this year's title winners were relatively poor

We'd have reached the CL quarters too
(edited 7 years ago)
Words cannot comprehend how gutted I'm gonna be if we lose on Wednesday.

Although might as well be positive - we're a quality team and we certainly have enough to beat Sevilla. Let's turn a mediocre season in to a great one...
Original post by difeo
Imagine not recognising how good we were before he got injured, the knock on effects of him being injured, and the fact that this year's title winners were relatively poor

We'd have reached the CL quarters too

Lol your team was playing **** even before Shaw was injured but were grinding out or were lucky with results.

Latest