The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Deferring University Course Mid Study

Hello!

I am currently at the University of Brighton studying Textiles with Business (4 year degree), but fell pregnant at the beginning of the year.

I have just finished my second year, and could have undertaken an optional placement year in industry, that the rest of the year is doing if financially possible (although you can skip straight to final year if it isn't).

Due to my pregnancy I decided to take a year out of my studies, that the University is fine with, and come back in fourth year along with my course mates (who would have done placement year).

However I am unsure of how this affects student finance. As I fully completed my second year I don't have to repeat it or pay any fees back, but do I have to re-apply for student finance to tell them I am deferring? Or do I just apply again at the beginning of fourth year with a new application (as the University are fine with me taking the year out)?

Also, I assumed that because I wouldn't technically be a student (not getting student finance as I'm not attending University or living elsewear) I would be entitled to other benefits e.g. Income Support, Child Benefits and Tax Credits for the year - but I read differently on another student forum.

Sorry for the long post, but it would be great if someone who knew could reply before I end up sitting on the phone for hours to student finance! Thanks :smile:
You are still classed as a student , for tax purposes. Im in a similar situation but from sussex. So you dont pay council tax as you are registered as a student. the flipside is you cant claim any benefits as you are a student
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 2
But if I am technically skipping a year out, not suspending my studies, do you not think I could just make a new application at the start of my final year?

Thanks for your help x
Reply 3
Original post by emmybrad
But if I am technically skipping a year out, not suspending my studies, do you not think I could just make a new application at the start of my final year?

Thanks for your help x

no you can't - check the benefits situation out with CAB or somewhere similar as although you wouldn't normally be able to claim any benefits this may be different as someone who is pregnant/has a child.
Reply 4
Original post by Jenx301
no you can't - check the benefits situation out with CAB or somewhere similar as although you wouldn't normally be able to claim any benefits this may be different as someone who is pregnant/has a child.

I will do thanks - contacted CAB before and they didn't help much, but I emailed a financial advisor at the University so hopefully she will get back to me soon. It's ridiculous though - if I'm unemployed and having no hours at University why would I still be considered a full-time student by the government? It's so backwards...
Reply 5
Original post by emmybrad
I will do thanks - contacted CAB before and they didn't help much, but I emailed a financial advisor at the University so hopefully she will get back to me soon. It's ridiculous though - if I'm unemployed and having no hours at University why would I still be considered a full-time student by the government? It's so backwards...

That's a good idea yeah.... I do know what you mean - I was going to take a year out due to health reasons but I literally couldn't afford to because I wasn't entitled to student finance but also wasn't entitled to benefits, not even sickness benefits. It's tough.

Quick Reply