The Student Room Group

Turned 20 today, haven't achieved anything my entire life

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zargabaath
I don't know, that's a significant problem I know. Lol, I'll keep that in mind and become a mushroom farming instructor :yes:

You could advise governments all over the world on mushrooms. Develop new ideas to harvest them, invest in new workers / infrastructure / scientific research. Be the mushroom you want to be.

Everyone wants mushrooms.
Original post by HFBS
Do your family not count? Do you not love them back?

What would you consider noteworthy? Serious question.

My family count, but that's something almost everyone has. Nothing noteworthy about that.

idk, being good at something, being able to create something and be proud of it
Reply 22
My family count, but that's something almost everyone has. Nothing noteworthy about that.

idk, being good at something, being able to create something and be proud of it

Not everyone. Don't take it for granted.

Be good at something? As already pointed out, you appear to be fairly skilled at reading and writing. Does this not satisfy your criteria? Your goal seems incredibly undefined, so no wonder you haven't met it, because you haven't aimed for something. Go be the ****ing world authority on mushroom farming, I dare you.

Last reality check. Happiness isn't something you can acquire. You just have to choose to like what you have already.
Original post by HFBS

Be good at something? As already pointed out, you appear to be fairly skilled at reading and writing. Does this not satisfy your criteria? Your goal seems incredibly undefined, so no wonder you haven't met it, because you haven't aimed for something. Go be the ****ing world authority on mushroom farming, I dare you.

Last reality check. Happiness isn't something you can acquire. You just have to choose to like what you have already.

I know, that's why I said almost everyone. I don't take them for granted, but it's not enough. These are people who are obligated to like me, regardless of whether they'd like me or not otherwise.

I suppose you're right, I don't really know what I want to achieve
anyone else completely lost here?

Congrats!

It will come. I was 23 when I thought my life was a **** and I haven't and never would achieve anything.

You just gotta find your thing!
Original post by brainhuman
Congrats!

It will come. I was 23 when I thought my life was a **** and I haven't and never would achieve anything.

You just gotta find your thing!

if you don't mind me asking, did you ever find your thing?
Original post by HFBS

Exactly, pretty much what i'm thinking atm, think i'll throw myself into some field, specialize in it, hopefully it'll have a bit travel involved, I don't presume it'll be all fun and games but it'll definitely be more rewarding than having no direction.
if you don't mind me asking, did you ever find your thing?

Yea. I think so. There are still some things I would like to be different, but overall I am happy now. I have a job and a girlfriend and found a great hobby, it makes for a balanced life now.
Reply 28
I know, that's why I said almost everyone. I don't take them for granted, but it's not enough. These are people who are obligated to like me, regardless of whether they'd like me or not otherwise.

I suppose you're right, I don't really know what I want to achieve

Oh, they aren't obligated to like you. They love you without reason or boundary, but that doesn't mean they have to like you. You must just be a nice person for them to like you. Winner!

Good, so stop beating yourself up because you haven't yet done the thing, and go decide what the thing is. You can do it, you seem fairly smart.
Reply 29

Everyone wants mushrooms.

To be fair I love mushrooms.
You can't achieve something without having some kind of goal in the first place. So it's not that you haven't achieved anything, it's more not having any defined goals yet, which at only 20 is completely reasonable! If you're still in education you have so much time to figure out what you want to do :smile:
Though figuring out what that thing is may be trial and error and you might not be right the first time but that's okay, you (probably :tongue:) have a long life ahead of you :smile:
:colonhash:

What is considered "noteworthy" is subjective. There have been a lot of times when you've cheered me up, whether it be through saying something funny or being there when I've needed it - that, in my opinion, is a noteworthy achievement because it's a positive impact that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't been there. And I know there are others you've done that for, too. :yep:

Also, can we keep in mind you've just finished your first year of university? How is that not considered an achievement? :noway:

No, you haven't won a Nobel Prize or sailed across the world (that I know of :ninja:), but Zarga, you're twenty. You have a lot of years ahead of you to do things like that. You've achieved a lot, you're just looking in the wrong places.

Cut contact for a week and literally no one but my parents and sister would remember me. I'm glad you could be proud of your life, but I really can't

Well, that's not true.
If you really want to feel good about yourself, there's a website where you pop your age in and they'll list all the amazing things other people had accomplished by the time they were your age :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymοοse
If you really want to feel good about yourself, there's a website where you pop your age in and they'll list all the amazing things other people had accomplished by the time they were your age :biggrin:

>Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard and co-founded Microsoft
>Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein
>Isaac Newton created calculus

and i'm here collecting rare pepes and posting **** on tsr :rofl: :rofl:

Original post by acupofgreentea

What is considered "noteworthy" is subjective. There have been a lot of times when you've cheered me up, whether it be through saying something funny or being there when I've needed it - that, in my opinion, is a noteworthy achievement because it's a positive impact that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't been there. And I know there are others you've done that for, too. :yep:

Also, can we keep in mind you've just finished your first year of university? How is that not considered an achievement? :noway:

No, you haven't won a Nobel Prize or sailed across the world (that I know of :ninja:), but Zarga, you're twenty. You have a lot of years ahead of you to do things like that. You've achieved a lot, you're just looking in the wrong places.

Well, that's not true.

Fine stalkers on the internet would remember me :hand:

Spoiler

Happy birthday! :birthday:

To be honest, you still have so many years to do something. You'll be fine. Keep smiling! :hugs:
Fine stalkers on the internet would remember me :hand:

Spoiler

I must say, the TSR follow function has enabled me to stalk with a lot more ease than other sites. :yep: Your hair is looking particularly nice today, if I do say so myself. :perv:

Spoiler

I think humans are insufferably insatiable when it comes to achievement.

Don't beat yourself up.

Time is on your side.
(edited 7 years ago)
anyone else completely lost here?

Happy birthday!
I'm 2 years behind you so I hope I'm not too young. Aren't you in college or something?
What's your definition of achievement?
Happy Birthday! You're fine, dont worry, plenty of time left for you to experience great things in life. I bet youre so talented and creative and you seem like such a nice person! People around you love you! Stay smiling and never give up, best of luck xxx

Quick Reply

Latest