The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sell my secrets

So you're very mad

albeit true cos I got 150 rep points from one post in chat hehe

'Should I get married to this 29 year old, I am 19 and have never dated him but he's rich'
first reply
'yes you definitely should, esp cos your mum wants you to and mums know best'
ffs stupid asian girl with username ending 786, can you even be more tep, called her out

Ffs, I quoted Mean Girls in that thread and got **** all.
Original post by SA-1
When I worked at the hospital, I met amazing female doctors/physios/nurses (inb4 nurse A & nurse B).

Was it though?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463355807.271486.jpg

I know Crooks is mentally deranged but lol at him not having Vardy in his TOTS...
Original post by Lúcio
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463355807.271486.jpg

I know Crooks is mentally deranged but lol at him not having Vardy in his TOTS...

Aguero and Kane scored as many/more goals for worse teams
Original post by difeo

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463357191.249806.jpg
Original post by Lúcio
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1463357191.249806.jpg

literally a fact pal
I'm impressed he managed to get everyone into (almost) their correct positions. Getting boring now that he doesn't pick whoever scored that week in banterous formations.
Original post by difeo
literally a fact pal

Vardy was one of the main reasons Leicester were so good and he broke a consecutive goalscoring record...

With the amount of shoehorning Garth does with his teams, I at least thought he'd have the courtesy to make it 4-3-3 and push Aguero and Kane out wide.
You know seeing as you did Psychology for 3 years @lucio.is.btchboy, I'm sure you'd be familiar with the meaning of deranged and how it refers to insanity/psychosis, which is nothing other than a mental concept. So I'm not sure why you'd need to qualify 'deranged' with 'mentally', because there's no other way you can be deranged.
Original post by difeo

Vardy's conversion rate is the main reason why they were able to get by for a while. Aguero filled his boots in 3 goal+ wins against shite like Newcastle (5), Chelsea (4 in 2), Palace at home (2), and Villa (2) at home, and single goals against Norwich, Bouremouth and Stoke. Vardy only got 2 in 3 goal + wins.

So Vardy was a key part of making his team better than City, and got more assists, created more chances, goals were more crucial, more important tactically etc etc in other words dbi and do you evn whoscored
Original post by Lúcio
Vardy was one of the main reasons Leicester were so good and he broke a consecutive goalscoring record...

With the amount of shoehorning Garth does with his teams, I at least thought he'd have the courtesy to make it 4-3-3 and push Aguero and Kane out wide.

As shown by him scoring the same/less goals even though his team was far better
Consecutive goals aren't actually any better, it's just a cool record but 11 in 11 followed by 2 in 11 is no better than 13 in 22 spread out more.

Vardy's conversion rate is the main reason why they were able to get by for a while. Aguero filled his boots in 3 goal+ wins against shite like Newcastle (5), Chelsea (4 in 2), Palace at home (2), and Villa (2) at home, and single goals against Norwich, Bouremouth and Stoke. Vardy only got 2 in 3 goal + wins.So Vardy was a key part of making his team better than City, and got more assists, created more chances, goals were more crucial, more important tactically etc etc in other words dbi and do you evn whoscored

Yes Vardy's conversion rate of the same number of goals as Aguero from a massive 4 less shots over the entire season

Lol at using assists, notoriously one of the least useful stats, even more so when the numbers are so small, and even more so in this specific case when Vardy is assisting the best player in the league while Aguero is passing to Fabian Delph. Ur better than that

Chances created, 1.32 vs 1.18 vs 0.99, meh

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in there, I'd have had him. I'm saying leaving him out is hardly the ludicrous decision that young Luce here is making it out to be. Perhaps Garth was taking minutes played into account, and had Sergie played as many as the other two, he'd have finished more than 10 goals clear
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by difeo
Yes Vardy's conversion rate of the same number of goals as Aguero from a massive 4 less shots over the entire season

Lol at using assists, notoriously one of the least useful stats, even more so when the numbers are so small, and even more so in this specific case when Vardy is assisting the best player in the league while Aguero is passing to Fabian Delph. Ur better than that

Chances created, 1.32 vs 1.18 vs 0.99, meh

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be in there, I'd have had him. I'm saying leaving him out is hardly the ludicrous decision that young Luce here is making it out to be. Perhaps Garth was taking minutes played into account, and had Sergie played as many as the other two, he'd have finished more than 10 goals clear

Incremental little things that add up and point for a better case for Vardy.

In any case, you failed to address the key point, which is that the importance of Vardy's goals was much greater. By the stats Aguero is on level pegging but much more of his goals were meaningless and stat-padding compared to Vardy's. If you can't see how the third, fourth and fifth goals in a home win against a relegated team aren't as worthy as a winning goal, and can't see how Vardy contributed more when taking this into account, then there's not much discussion to be had.

On top of this, I've already corrected you previously on the need to acknowledge (not absolutely) greater minutes and actual output, rather than per minute output, when discussing season performances (even if per minute output is a more useful tool for evaluating players and their future prospects). Aguero's injuries are not a mitigating circumstance for him here, he can only be judged on what's occurred on the field.

And I'll correct you on assists as well. It's true that assists are a 'notoriously' poor (feel like I've used that phrase when discussing this matter with you in the past) as a statistical measure in general, but their variance doesn't mean that they can't be acknowledged during the course of a season. Just as goal conversion is unrepeatable season on season for most strikers (affecting their number of goals if shots are controlled), the conversion of key passes into assists also varies. There are numerous reasons for this; luck and what you could term 'fine player margins' (by this I mean the tiny margins in passing speed, direction, timing etc that separate a successful assist pass from one that makes it harder to score and hence is missed) on the behalf of the assister, and then luck, fine player margins, and quality, the latter three on the behalf of the teammates of the assister (who are essential to the completion of the assist). These factors are all part of the reason why there's so much more statistical noise and variance around assists compared to shot conversion (assists are much more unrepeatable because you have to double all the variance factors for shot conversion, and then add on some more factors).

However, that does not mean that over the course of a season, a greater assister should not be recognised. Similar to how a high volume shooter with an anomalously poor conversion rate isn't given credit in Player of the Season awards for his poor finishing, a high key passer with a poor assist rate is rarely (and sometimes deservedly) not given credit in Player of the Season awards. But when somebody does have a great assist rate, you can put that down to a) luck, and b) 'running hot', or consistently being on the right side of the fine player margins that I talked about earlier. Stats can never account for luck, other than to say it mostly averages out (and if it doesn't average out in the long run, then further analysis is required, sometimes with stats that aren't widely available or available at all). But to the naked eye, we see 'luck' mainly as 'running hot', whether that's in assists or a striker who has a high conversion rate over the season. A greater assist completion rate can be attributed to consistently performing well on those fine player margins over the course of the season, whether that means getting your head up more before crossing or getting the ball in quicker, or just being more accurate with it, playing it ahead of the man instead of to feet, whatever. And if a player does consistently perform well on those fine margins, then that is worthy of acclaim over the season, just as a striker who scores lots of goals due to a higher conversion rate is; the statistics underpinning them don't matter. So, small sample size sure (as is 24 goals and the conversion rate there), but assists can be used a valid measure of quality over the season. The only thing you can use as a defence is the players around both players, and I don't think Mahrez, Okazaki, Ulloa, Albrighton are easier to assist than De Bruyne, Silva, Toure, Navas.

tl dr
- Vardy's goals much more important
- Vardy got more assists
- Vardy created more chances
- Vardy won the league
- Aguero's injuries aren't Vardy's problem
- ridiculous decision to leave Vardy out of the TOTS
You know seeing as you did Psychology for 3 years @lucio.is.btchboy, I'm sure you'd be familiar with the meaning of deranged and how it refers to insanity/psychosis, which is nothing other than a mental concept. So I'm not sure why you'd need to qualify 'deranged' with 'mentally', because there's no other way you can be deranged.

Vardy's conversion rate is the main reason why they were able to get by for a while. Aguero filled his boots in 3 goal+ wins against shite like Newcastle (5), Chelsea (4 in 2), Palace at home (2), and Villa (2) at home, and single goals against Norwich, Bouremouth and Stoke. Vardy only got 2 in 3 goal + wins.

So Vardy was a key part of making his team better than City, and got more assists, created more chances, goals were more crucial, more important tactically etc etc in other words dbi and do you evn whoscored

I've done it for 5 years actually, and pls don't be nit-picky. It's almost like you can't bear to agree with me regarding Vardy so you need to find something else to balance it out :tongue:

Exactly, he's just so bloody clinical and never seemed to waver under pressure. I don't disagree that Mahrez was player of the season, but to not have Vardy in anybody's TOTS is a farce really.
Reply 3732
@sell my secrets

Thoughts on conference finals?
Cavs are sweeping,
GSW in 6/7 games.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
@sell my secrets

Thoughts on conference finals?
Cavs are sweeping,
GSW in 6/7 games.

Hoping we see KD vs LBJ in the finals so don't want to predict GSW vs OKC. Adams been good for OKC, playing on same level as Love. Curry is magic but it stops somewhere (and did in last years finals, eg). Series might depend on how Westbrook can guard Curry, Russell is a pure liability on D.

Cavs might drop a road game but with Jonas out, Raptors gonna be weak and LeBron + Kyrie should be enough. DeRozan is a pile of shite and Lowry is inconsistent.

The jizz over Curry irritates me a bit, I still have LeBron as the best player in the NBA (Curry was MVP though and is best shooter ever). Curry's got to pull out some LeBron 2013-15 Finals performances before he can take that crown. LeBron is top 3/5 all time now. Last year was a top 10 all time Finals performance, seen some people argue it's 1st/2nd (Wade 06) but I haven't watched enough NBA to know tbh, only been watching since The Decision and even then only playoffs. Until Curry gets that type of **** on his CV, LeBron every time.
Incremental little things that add up and point for a better case for Vardy.In any case, you failed to address the key point, which is that the importance of Vardy's goals was much greater. By the stats Aguero is on level pegging but much more of his goals were meaningless and stat-padding compared to Vardy's. If you can't see how the third, fourth and fifth goals in a home win against a relegated team aren't as worthy as a winning goal, and can't see how Vardy contributed more when taking this into account, then there's not much discussion to be had.On top of this, I've already corrected you previously on the need to acknowledge (not absolutely) greater minutes and actual output, rather than per minute output, when discussing season performances (even if per minute output is a more useful tool for evaluating players and their future prospects). Aguero's injuries are not a mitigating circumstance for him here, he can only be judged on what's occurred on the field.And I'll correct you on assists as well. It's true that assists are a 'notoriously' poor (feel like I've used that phrase when discussing this matter with you in the past) as a statistical measure in general, but their variance doesn't mean that they can't be acknowledged during the course of a season. Just as goal conversion is unrepeatable season on season for most strikers (affecting their number of goals if shots are controlled), the conversion of key passes into assists also varies. There are numerous reasons for this; luck and what you could term 'fine player margins' (by this I mean the tiny margins in passing speed, direction, timing etc that separate a successful assist pass from one that makes it harder to score and hence is missed) on the behalf of the assister, and then luck, fine player margins, and quality, the latter three on the behalf of the teammates of the assister (who are essential to the completion of the assist). These factors are all part of the reason why there's so much more statistical noise and variance around assists compared to shot conversion (assists are much more unrepeatable because you have to double all the variance factors for shot conversion, and then add on some more factors).However, that does not mean that over the course of a season, a greater assister should not be recognised. Similar to how a high volume shooter with an anomalously poor conversion rate isn't given credit in Player of the Season awards for his poor finishing, a high key passer with a poor assist rate is rarely (and sometimes deservedly) not given credit in Player of the Season awards. But when somebody does have a great assist rate, you can put that down to a) luck, and b) 'running hot', or consistently being on the right side of the fine player margins that I talked about earlier. Stats can never account for luck, other than to say it mostly averages out (and if it doesn't average out in the long run, then further analysis is required, sometimes with stats that aren't widely available or available at all). But to the naked eye, we see 'luck' mainly as 'running hot', whether that's in assists or a striker who has a high conversion rate over the season. A greater assist completion rate can be attributed to consistently performing well on those fine player margins over the course of the season, whether that means getting your head up more before crossing or getting the ball in quicker, or just being more accurate with it, playing it ahead of the man instead of to feet, whatever. And if a player does consistently perform well on those fine margins, then that is worthy of acclaim over the season, just as a striker who scores lots of goals due to a higher conversion rate is; the statistics underpinning them don't matter. So, small sample size sure (as is 24 goals and the conversion rate there), but assists can be used a valid measure of quality over the season. The only thing you can use as a defence is the players around both players, and I don't think Mahrez, Okazaki, Ulloa, Albrighton are easier to assist than De Bruyne, Silva, Toure, Navas.tl dr- Vardy's goals much more important- Vardy got more assists- Vardy created more chances- Vardy won the league- Aguero's injuries aren't Vardy's problem- ridiculous decision to leave Vardy out of the TOTS

How are you deciding whose goals are more important? I've looked at whoscored and sure straight away in August Aguero scored in a 3-0 win over Chelsea, seemingly a meaningless goal but it was actually the first goal, so very important.
Without checking this for every game, how are you deciding. You mention Aguero's 5 vs Newcastle of which 2 were pointless, but then Vardy got 2 pointless goals in the Arsenal 5-2

It's not a matter of me needing correcting on that is it, seeing as I made that exact point just yesterday wrt Suarez... I mostly agree, but then contributing the same amount in less time is better as another player then comes in, whereas if you take longer to produce the same output, you're taking up a spot which would otherwise be taken by the new player adding more output.

Strong dissertation on assists
"I don't think Mahrez, Okazaki, Ulloa, Albrighton are easier to assist than De Bruyne, Silva, Toure, Navas" - The fact that the Leicester four scored 30 to the City four's 15 suggests they definitely are. Saying otherwise is just you being biased due to those players' levels outside of this season.

Miscellaneous points:
- Vardy got a red card, costing his team 2 points, Aguero didn't
- 5 of Vardy's goals were penalties, only 4 of Aguero's, moving him ahead on NPGs
- Aguero made more than twice as many passes per game at 20% higher completion rate, yes partly down to differences in the team's style but not totally
- These incremental little things add up

Tl;dr
- Aguero scored more non penalty goals, in less minutes
- Aguero passed far better
- Aguero isn't a thug - 1 card vs 7
- Aguero did it in a worse team
- People are allowing the unexpectedness of Vardy's rise to come into it when in fact it's irrelevant
- A reasonable case can be made either way, leaving either out is fair
(edited 7 years ago)
Incremental little things that add up and point for a better case for Vardy.In any case, you failed to address the key point, which is that the importance of Vardy's goals was much greater. By the stats Aguero is on level pegging but much more of his goals were meaningless and stat-padding compared to Vardy's. If you can't see how the third, fourth and fifth goals in a home win against a relegated team aren't as worthy as a winning goal, and can't see how Vardy contributed more when taking this into account, then there's not much discussion to be had.On top of this, I've already corrected you previously on the need to acknowledge (not absolutely) greater minutes and actual output, rather than per minute output, when discussing season performances (even if per minute output is a more useful tool for evaluating players and their future prospects). Aguero's injuries are not a mitigating circumstance for him here, he can only be judged on what's occurred on the field.And I'll correct you on assists as well. It's true that assists are a 'notoriously' poor (feel like I've used that phrase when discussing this matter with you in the past) as a statistical measure in general, but their variance doesn't mean that they can't be acknowledged during the course of a season. Just as goal conversion is unrepeatable season on season for most strikers (affecting their number of goals if shots are controlled), the conversion of key passes into assists also varies. There are numerous reasons for this; luck and what you could term 'fine player margins' (by this I mean the tiny margins in passing speed, direction, timing etc that separate a successful assist pass from one that makes it harder to score and hence is missed) on the behalf of the assister, and then luck, fine player margins, and quality, the latter three on the behalf of the teammates of the assister (who are essential to the completion of the assist). These factors are all part of the reason why there's so much more statistical noise and variance around assists compared to shot conversion (assists are much more unrepeatable because you have to double all the variance factors for shot conversion, and then add on some more factors).However, that does not mean that over the course of a season, a greater assister should not be recognised. Similar to how a high volume shooter with an anomalously poor conversion rate isn't given credit in Player of the Season awards for his poor finishing, a high key passer with a poor assist rate is rarely (and sometimes deservedly) not given credit in Player of the Season awards. But when somebody does have a great assist rate, you can put that down to a) luck, and b) 'running hot', or consistently being on the right side of the fine player margins that I talked about earlier. Stats can never account for luck, other than to say it mostly averages out (and if it doesn't average out in the long run, then further analysis is required, sometimes with stats that aren't widely available or available at all). But to the naked eye, we see 'luck' mainly as 'running hot', whether that's in assists or a striker who has a high conversion rate over the season. A greater assist completion rate can be attributed to consistently performing well on those fine player margins over the course of the season, whether that means getting your head up more before crossing or getting the ball in quicker, or just being more accurate with it, playing it ahead of the man instead of to feet, whatever. And if a player does consistently perform well on those fine margins, then that is worthy of acclaim over the season, just as a striker who scores lots of goals due to a higher conversion rate is; the statistics underpinning them don't matter. So, small sample size sure (as is 24 goals and the conversion rate there), but assists can be used a valid measure of quality over the season. The only thing you can use as a defence is the players around both players, and I don't think Mahrez, Okazaki, Ulloa, Albrighton are easier to assist than De Bruyne, Silva, Toure, Navas.tl dr- Vardy's goals much more important- Vardy got more assists- Vardy created more chances- Vardy won the league- Aguero's injuries aren't Vardy's problem- ridiculous decision to leave Vardy out of the TOTS

Original post by difeo
How are you deciding whose goals are more important? I've looked at whoscored and sure straight away in August Aguero scored in a 3-0 win over Chelsea, seemingly a meaningless goal but it was actually the first goal, so very important. Without checking this for every game, how are you deciding. You mention Aguero's 5 vs Newcastle of which 2 were pointless, but then Vardy got 2 pointless goals in the Arsenal 5-2It's not a matter of me needing correcting on that is it, seeing as I made that exact point just yesterday wrt Suarez... I mostly agree, but then contributing the same amount in less time is better as another player then comes in, whereas if you take longer to produce the same output, you're taking up a spot which would otherwise be taken by the new player adding more output.Strong dissertation on assists"I don't think Mahrez, Okazaki, Ulloa, Albrighton are easier to assist than De Bruyne, Silva, Toure, Navas" - The fact that the Leicester four scored 30 to the City four's 15 suggests they definitely are. Saying otherwise is just you being biased due to those players' levels outside of this season.Miscellaneous points:- Vardy got a red card, costing his team 2 points, Aguero didn't- 5 of Vardy's goals were penalties, only 4 of Aguero's, moving him ahead on NPGs- Aguero made more than twice as many passes per game at 20% higher completion rate, yes partly down to differences in the team's style but not totally- These incremental little things add upTl;dr- Aguero scored more non penalty goals, in less minutes- Aguero passed far better- Aguero isn't a thug - 1 card vs 7- Aguero did it in a worse team- People are allowing the unexpectedness of Vardy's rise to come into it when in fact it's irrelevant- A reasonable case can be made either way, leaving either out is fair

That's a lot of words for two posts that will amount to adding nothing meaningful to any debate.
Original post by Jimmy Seville
That's a lot of words for two posts that will amount to adding nothing meaningful to any debate.

you think drinkwater is better than wilshere
Original post by difeo
you think drinkwater is better than wilshere

He is. Although Wilshere gets better the more games he misses tbf.
Me writing that post

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3739
Lol @ poverty internet skills ^

Drinkwater isn't even all that. Kante got the game on locks.

Latest