The Student Room Group

Anyone have any thoughts on the Edexcel Applied ICT 'Last Minute Laura' Pre release?

Scroll to see replies

Anyone worked out the Clearance in/out formula?
Original post by GeorgeB16
I've just had a look at that and on the "selection" sheet, it gives the sights and a variety of times. Are these supposed to be clues or what? If I'm being honest, I don't even know what the **** I need to do

I assume they are supposed to be clues, I haven't quite worked it out fully yet however, if I was to give a tip, I would say annotate the spreadsheet, it really helps and add the map to it and link it to the spreadsheet. Remember that the pre release is the biggest clue, add bits and bobs from the pre release on to your spreadsheet
Original post by s.mm
what does clearance mean??

Clearance in and out are the columns on the selection sheet which go red and have an N for no and Y for yes.
Reply 23
Original post by samiyahussain
Clearance in and out are the columns on the selection sheet which go red and have an N for no and Y for yes.

thanks, but what does clearance mean? like the depth in and out refers to the height of the water...
Original post by s.mm
thanks, but what does clearance mean? like the depth in and out refers to the height of the water...

As far as I believe clearance is the space above the boat ( e.g if they go inside fingals cave then they need enough headspace to move about )
Original post by seemamohammed
Anyone find flaws in the models?
For activity 4 to evaluate the model we are often asked to suggest improvements for the model in the report..
Also for Tide in and tide out, why cant we just use a vlook up instead of an INDEX MATCH

If you mean tide start and tide end I've been practising and using a vlookup?
Original post by HollySmithGang7
Anyone worked out the Clearance in/out formula?

I think the formula will be along the lines of:
Depth In - '=IF(J14<Sights!D12,"N","Y")'
Depth Out - '=IF(K14<Sights!D12,"N","Y")'
Clearance In - '=IF(J14>Sights!E12,"N","Y")'
Clearance Out - '=IF(K14>Sights!E12,"N","Y")'
Reply 27
Has anyone got any clues about the 2 hidden sheets????

Personally I think they are there to show how the model was evolved.

I tried to add the October tides to the model but their is data missing or the data is in the wrong place.
Reply 28
What i have been thinking is that for tide start and end, all you have to do is vlookup the table to the left to find the name of the place and then display what it says. For depth in (dont know if it is right so dont believe me!)you use an if statement to look up whether tide start is bigger than (in sights worksheet) the "lowest" value of the corresponding location -if it does then y will be displayed- for depth out its the same except switch tide in to tide out. Clearance is the same, except see whether the tide start/end is smaller than the "highest" values. any critique would be appreciated!
Reply 29
Original post by Enchando
What i have been thinking is that for tide start and end, all you have to do is vlookup the table to the left to find the name of the place and then display what it says. For depth in (dont know if it is right so dont believe me!)you use an if statement to look up whether tide start is bigger than (in sights worksheet) the "lowest" value of the corresponding location -if it does then y will be displayed- for depth out its the same except switch tide in to tide out. Clearance is the same, except see whether the tide start/end is smaller than the "highest" values. any critique would be appreciated!

Hi

I think thats correct as that is what I done as well

Any ideas about the two hidden sheets ???
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
From what I can tell it uses sin and cosine, and could be part of the october tides. We could get given october tides as something to add to the database later-but who knows tbh, just keep going through the spreadsheet I guess and practise importing data and using the formulas.
Reply 31
Original post by ciaranh98
This is what I think, I prefer using INDEX(MATCH( to VLOOKUP(.

why are you repeating the condition in clearance; you are checking for the tide to be lower than the highest value in sights worksheet, but that is already tested for depth in/out in your IF(and( formula.

So dont you think it is better to use the fromula:
Depth In - '=IF(J14<Sights!D12,"N","Y")'
Clearance In - '=IF(J14>Sights!E12,"N","Y")'
Reply 32
Original post by Enchando

that's exactly what I am thinking about, but dont you think there needs to be a nested if there somewhere in either depth in or clearance in checking for it to be higher than the lowest as well as lower than the highest.
Reply 33
Original post by seemamohammed
Anyone find flaws in the models?
For activity 4 to evaluate the model we are often asked to suggest improvements for the model in the report..
Also for Tide in and tide out, why cant we just use a vlook up instead of an INDEX MATCH

I was looking at this the other day, I would say maybe to add a reset button on the selection sheet to remove the routes in one click so the next month can be inputted faster. Also maybe to hide any sheets which don't need to be changes frequently as there are a lot of them.
Reply 34
Original post by s.mm
that's exactly what I am thinking about, but dont you think there needs to be a nested if there somewhere in either depth in or clearance in checking for it to be higher than the lowest as well as lower than the highest.

Does it need to be as complicated as that though? This is what i did for depth in:
=IF(J14<Sights!D12,"N","Y")

The clearance could be very similar or if we are given a min clearance then you could do something like:
=IF(J14>=$Q$14,"Y","N") The Q14 is just a cell where i've added a min clearance.

Any thoughts?
Reply 35
Original post by ciaranh98
This is what I think, I prefer using INDEX(MATCH( to VLOOKUP(.

Why have you used IF AND? Is it needed? I've attached my opinions if you'd like to compare?
What day is everyone doing their exam?
Reply 37
Does anyone have any ideas about what to put in the report?
Are we not going to have to use the October Tides in the exam? I heard people saying how instead of the data we have, we'll have to use october's. Im so confused
Reply 39
Anyone had any luck with working out tide heights using sin and cos?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending