The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazza ma razza
is there a june 15 r?

No.
Original post by tazza ma razza
is there a june 15 r?

Regional Papers are now IAL papers - I think.
What do you get if you got a complex number zz multiplied by its complex conjugate zz*?
Original post by Glavien
What do you get if you got a complex number zz multiplied by its complex conjugate zz*?

If you say that z = a + bi, then z* = .. and zz* = ...
Original post by SeanFM
If you say that z = a + bi, then z* = .. and zz* = ...

a2+b2a^2+b^2, right? Thanks!
Original post by Glavien
a2+b2a^2+b^2, right? Thanks!

Correct :h:
Does anyone have a good statement for the end of induction that is applicable to all types of proof?
Thanks
Original post by anna096
Does anyone have a good statement for the end of induction that is applicable to all types of proof?
Thanks

If [the summation formula is true/ f(n) is divisible by X/ the general statement is true/ the matrix equation is true (select the appropriate option)] when n=k, then it has been shown to be true for n=k+1. As it is also true for n=1, it must be true for all real, positive integers

Something like that; just adapt as necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Though for the general statement (uk one), say that it is true when n=1 and n=2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anna096
Thanks

"We have shown our statement being true for n=k implies that our statement is true for n=k+1, since we've shown n=1 is true then our statement is true for all natural n."
Original post by Chirstos Ioannou
But it accepts the 150 degrees answer.

Screenshot_1.png

Which is basically the same thing but in the other direction.
I find it much easier to just draw it and find the angle that it makes with the x-axis and then find the total rotation.

It accepts 150 clockwise, not 150 anticlockwise
Original post by economicss
Please could anyone show their working for question 8b of these? Not sure I understand it! Thanks :smile:

Think back to the definition of the linear interpolation method, particularly by diagram if you can find one!

I'm going to post solutions very soon. I've been really busy the last 3 days and haven't been anywhere near a computer.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, missed your comment 1463344152655.jpg
Original post by xyz9856
this paper is insanely hard

1.) I can't quite get this one
2.) sqrt(3-6i)
3.) 4n-4n^2
4.) not a clue, I've never seen anything like this before, some help would be appreciated.
5.)x=1,x=(3-i),x=(3+i),x=(-1-2i),x=(-1+2i) [is it realistic we will get a quintic in the exam?]

need a break after solving that quintic, let me know how I've done if you have some time :smile:

Good effort :smile:

1). Solution to this one is at the bottom of this page on my site.
2). Not quite. The square root doesn't quite let you add the respective components like that. Try doing each one by one by letting (a+bi)2=27i(a + bi)^2 = 2 - 7i for the first one, then do the second one and add together the results.
3). Not quite! Simplify the summand to get 88r8-8r, then use the standard rules of summation to get the answer.
4). No problem! Don't worry too much about this one. This problem is sparsely written and beyond the scope of regular FP1. zz is any complex number, and the locus is any zz that satisfies that equation.
5). Yep, good. No you're probably not going to get a quintic, but it's great practice for your algebra skills.
6). Simple matrix algebra here. a). tests matrix multiplication, then for b) right-multiply both sides by A1\mathbf{A}^{-1} and see what you get. For c), invert the matrix and verify your result from b).
7). Draw this one on a graph - apply the transformation to the identity matrix (i.e. the points (1,0) and (0,1)) on a 2D graph to get a hint.

Edexcel-specific questions:

8). Hint: Look back on the definition of linear interpolation, especially a graphical one. Check out the formula for approximating α\alpha and try rearranging it. PM for the detailed answer to this one.
9). a). Write out the Newton-Raphson formula for this curve and it'll become obvious why 0 is not a good starting point.
b). Hint: Look closely at f(x)f'(x). What happens to it as xx increases?
10). a). Standard FP1 coordinate systems question. Sub the given formula for the straight line yy into the curve CC's equation and solve to find the points.
b). Again, standard question. Convert into Cartesian form (standard rules) and differentiate w.r.t. to xx. Then try subbing in the initial parametrised formula for xx.
11). a). Simple bookwork.
b). Sub the provided straight line equation into the equation of the xy=1xy= 1 curve to get xx and then use the initial formula to find the respective yys for those points.
c). Hint: Draw some graphs of the general straight line equation y=kxy=kx for a few values of kk on the same diagram you did for a). The set of pairs of intersection points aa and bb for each kk were the points you gave for b).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by alfmeister
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, missed your comment 1463344152655.jpg

No problem, thanks for that :smile: Please could you explain how we'd work out the area for the parallelogram http://crashmaths.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Complex-Numbers-Worksheet.pdf question 15b, really stuck with it! Thanks :smile:

Pretty sure that's a typo and the n is supposed to be 40.
Original post by NotNotBatman
Pretty sure that's a typo and the n is supposed to be 40.

Ah that makes sense, thank you! :smile:
Hi everyone, hope revision for the FP1 module is going well.

I have made up a practice paper for the Edexcel FP1 module - it will help all of you in your revision.

Sorry there are so many documents - I couldn't upload the entire document because how big the file size was.

There are different questions on each document and they might not be in order.

I will upload the solutions to these documents soon.

Quick Reply