The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA1 - 24 May 2016 - RESIT [Exam Discussion Thread]

AQA Physics PHYA1 - 24 May 2016 - RESIT [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Do you have any questions about this exam?

Last year's paper is a good paper to do in timed conditions as it was a little bit unconventional, I remember it being quite different sitting in the exam and answering it to past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Euclidean
Do you have any questions about this exam?

Last year's paper is a good paper to do in timed conditions as it was a little bit unconventional, I remember it being quite different sitting in the exam and answering it to past papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i am ok with the particle physics part , but with the electricity section i tend to struggle with the written questions.
I think with last years paper the particle section was quite easy, but the answers they wanted to questions later on in the paper just did not make sense.
Touchwood next weeks paper is similar to some of the nicer ones.
Reply 4
Original post by astrostar29
I think with last years paper the particle section was quite easy, but the answers they wanted to questions later on in the paper just did not make sense.
Touchwood next weeks paper is similar to some of the nicer ones.

how is your revision going?

do you have notes for the electricity section you could possibly send me

thanks in advance
does anyone have any tips in what depth we should be revising at? the 2015 paper showed that you need to revise quite in depth, the particle section was fine
but the electricity is what got most people i believe. How and where could i find resources to revise electricity so i know it back to front so i could answer questions such as 2015s comfortably?
Original post by Exams987
how is your revision going?

do you have notes for the electricity section you could possibly send me

thanks in advance

Exams987 tbh theres isnt very many notes you can make on thr electricity section, my advice would be to do lots of past questions, happy to send you what i have though. PM me!
Reply 7
Original post by astrostar29
Exams987 tbh theres isnt very many notes you can make on thr electricity section, my advice would be to do lots of past questions, happy to send you what i have though. PM me!

thanks for your help but i have found some revision videos which seem very good.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM7lGCvspoEycdommQdVpClPe1AKom9Cm

once i finish making notes from them , i will start past papers, hopefully by end of today i will have done some past paper questions
i am ok with the particle physics part , but with the electricity section i tend to struggle with the written questions.

Same
Reply 9
Original post by Improvement
Same

i am currently going through the electricity section again

where are you in terms of revision ?
Reply 10
Guys how do you define root mean square voltage? I didn't really understand the mark scheme for this question.
Reply 11
Original post by CD1998
Guys how do you define root mean square voltage? I didn't really understand the mark scheme for this question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am5YgNtSP1g&list=PLM7lGCvspoEycdommQdVpClPe1AKom9Cm&index=18

skip it towards the end
Reply 12

So it's the equivalent DC voltage that provides the same power in the circuit?
Reply 13
Original post by CD1998
So it's the equivalent DC voltage that provides the same power in the circuit?

yes
Reply 14
yes

Ok thanks a lot. Good luck!
i am currently going through the electricity section again

where are you in terms of revision ?

I get the theory side of it like Unit 1 revision I have completed! It is just the actual exam questions I struggle with!
Reply 16
Original post by Improvement
I get the theory side of it like Unit 1 revision I have completed! It is just the actual exam questions I struggle with!

i have the same issue as you,
Hi everyone

I think I have gone over all the past papers.... by the way there is this really good website

www.egsphysics.co.uk and if you go to the exams bit ... the old spec papers actually are good.

Anyway my question is about positive and negative temperature co - efficents.

For positive temperature co- efficents the resistance increases with temperature right ... as the atoms in the metal vibrate causing a reduction in the flow of charge ( reduction in current.

For negative temperature co- efficent resistance decreases as temperature increases... as there is an increase in the number of ions in the metal ?... this causes an increase in the flow of charge and hence an increase in the current?

If someone could clear that up for me that would be good.

Cheers (y)
Reply 18
Original post by Billsonbubbles
Hi everyone

I think I have gone over all the past papers.... by the way there is this really good website

www.egsphysics.co.uk and if you go to the exams bit ... the old spec papers actually are good.

Anyway my question is about positive and negative temperature co - efficents.

For positive temperature co- efficents the resistance increases with temperature right ... as the atoms in the metal vibrate causing a reduction in the flow of charge ( reduction in current.

For negative temperature co- efficent resistance decreases as temperature increases... as there is an increase in the number of ions in the metal ?... this causes an increase in the flow of charge and hence an increase in the current?

If someone could clear that up for me that would be good.

Cheers (y)

that seems correct ,

was there something in particular you wanted help with?
that seems correct ,

was there something in particular you wanted help with?

Not really I just wanted someone to make sure that I was correct :wink:

Thanks (y)

Quick Reply

Latest