The Student Room Group

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samb1234
Its a standard differential equation usually, vdv/dx = -Gmm/x^2

Original post by Zacken
It's just your kinematics again with solving DE's in a slightly different context, it's often free marks. :tongue:

what are the chances of this coming up may have to check this out
They do give them. The first part usually involves rearranging it to get a form in terms of little g and then you have to do some de to find velocity at a given distance or similar

You mean the rocket qs??? Never had to use that formula in one of those before...
Original post by BBeyond

You mean the rocket qs??? Never had to use that formula in one of those before...

Normally in m3 they will just tell you that it is proportional to 1/x^2 - it doesn't change the question at all in any way, GMm are all just numbers and are the constant of proportionality K. It is exactly the same process makes no difference
Original post by BBeyond

Yeah, the rocket question. It indirectly uses the formula.
They do give them. The first part usually involves rearranging it to get a form in terms of little g and then you have to do some de to find velocity at a given distance or similar

Yeah, it comes in a differential equation form, but I think that poster was talking about something along the lines of "find the Fgrav between particle P and Q."

Original post by BBeyond

Check out IAL June 2015 Q2.

Original post by TheFarmerLad
IAL Jan '14 Q5b), I've resolved the forces horizontally and vertically but where do you take moments from? Been stuck on this for a whilehttps://8a40d6c38bafca75cc407741c0f3e1889c8e66b2.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYWENTbktxdlk5dEU/January%202014%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20M3%20Edexcel.pdf

Take moments about the point of contact so that friction and the reaction force don't come into play.

Spoiler

Original post by Ayman!

Check out IAL June 2015 Q2.

I can do those but not sure I'd be able to apply that Gm1 **** considering I've never seen it in my life lol
Jan 16 is a weird paper... So many places do make a mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BBeyond
I can do those but not sure I'd be able to apply that Gm1 **** considering I've never seen it in my life lol

If you wanted to, you could literally write 'let Gm...' =k, do the whole question with K like it normally is and then stick Gm back in later
If you wanted to, you could literally write 'let Gm...' =k, do the whole question with K like it normally is and then stick Gm back in later

You got any examples of these qs?
Original post by BBeyond
You got any examples of these qs?

There's some in the text book
Anyone know what the 100 UMS was for jan 16 was? 74?
I still did good but wasn't confident about some of my answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
has anyone done any solomon papers, are they harder than the normal ones? and would u recommend doing them for practice?
Original post by physicsmaths
Anyone know what the 100 UMS was for jan 16 was? 74?
I still did good but wasn't confident about some of my answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jan 15 IAL examiners report is so savage lol
Original post by BBeyond
Jan 15 IAL examiners report is so savage lol

Show? :biggrin:
Original post by 1asdfghjkl1
has anyone done any solomon papers, are they harder than the normal ones? and would u recommend doing them for practice?

I've done them all but they seem to be more straightforward than the recent papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Euclidean
I've done them all but they seem to be more straightforward than the recent papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh the IAL and R papers are by far he best ones to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh the IAL and R papers are by far he best ones to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing IAL, R and normal 2012-2014 today and I definitely noticed that too. 2013 R is much more difficult than 2013.

I think the 90 band is a 10 mark difference for 2013 and 2013 R

Are you betting on a tough paper on Wednesday? I think some nice boundaries are needed for me as I've been making loads of dumb mistakes in the papers I've done :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Euclidean
I'm doing IAL, R and normal 2012-2014 today and I definitely noticed that too. 2013 R is much more difficult than 2013.

I think the 90 band is a 10 mark difference for 2013 and 2013 R

Are you betting on a tough paper on Wednesday? I think some nice boundaries are needed for me as I've been making loads of dumb mistakes in the papers I've done :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well in all the IAL/R papers I have done (all of them now) I have got 75 except 2013 R and Jan 2014IAL where i got 73 and 71. But in Uk 2015 i got 69 and made stupid istakes in the other uk poers aswell. I am hoping for an IAL or R paper since i tend to do well on those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the attached question, what does it mean when it says "P remains at rest relative to the disc"?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending