The Student Room Group

Edexcel economics unit 1 and 2 retakes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by epic within
one was that in the free market economy there are under provision of public goods or something like that

I put the under provision of street lights. Is that right ?
Original post by ACTT
wasn't it if they increase the amount of vaccines, there would be a net welfare gain

Yes and I highlighted the area of welfare gain.
Original post by A-LevelEconomist
Yes and I highlighted the area of welfare gain.

Me too :smile:
Original post by BBajwa

Yes :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by BBajwa

That's what i put as well and i think it is right
Original post by BBajwa

yeah
Original post by emilia_claire
Me too :smile:

🙌🙌🙌
So have we remembered all of the MCQs?
Reply 88
I got 6/8 correct , not awful but not good
Reply 89
yeah

Nice. From what I have seen I have got all the letters right. Hopefullt dropped 2 marks max on the multiple choices.
So for the MCQ we have answers to:

The PPF question- the answer was that producing more capital goods would lead to economic growth (OPTION D)

The YED question about meats- Fish has a higher YED than meat (or meat does - the answer was OPTION D)

The buffer stock question- the government would sell from its stockpile (OPTION B)

The price mechanism question- acts as a signal for firms to make production decisions

The question about Ibiza- decrease in revenue as demand is elastic

The question about a rise in producer surplus- increase in technology will increase producer surplus (OPTION B)

The externality question- there would be a net welfare gain

The free market/ market failure question- the under provision of public goods. (OPTION A)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BBajwa
Nice. From what I have seen I have got all the letters right. Hopefullt dropped 2 marks max on the multiple choices.

I think I might be the same, feeling a lot better about the unit 1 exam than I did last year!
Original post by BBajwa

me too, i get the correct answer but I sometimes don't expand it and end up getting 3/4
Got 8/8 correct in the MCQs but I wrote too much for them and ran out of time for the 6 marker in section B & only got half way through the last question.
now I need to start revising unit 2, I hope they ask components of AD like 2013, easy 6 marks
Reply 95
me too, i get the correct answer but I sometimes don't expand it and end up getting 3/4

Yh although I did try to eliminate two for each one so hoping for the best.
Well done everyone! Unit 1 is done and we all did pretty well by the sounds of it :smile: on to unit 2 now...
If people want to know the exact mark scheme for the Buffer stock question and Vaccine Externalities question they both appeared on the Jan 2012 paper - Q7 and Q8

Buffer Stock:
---> Understanding or explanation of buffer stock scheme(for example: agency sells from buffer stock in times of poor harvest and buys or adds to it in times of good harvest. (1 mark).Note this explanation must consider both the buying and selling function of the buffer stock to secure a mark).• Identification that in 2010 there is a bad harvest / or supply has decreased (1 mark).• Without intervention the price would rise to P3 or point Z (1 mark)• Government agency sells Q3-Q2 or XY of wheat from its stockpile to establish a price of P2 (this may be shown by annotation of the diagram) (1 mark).• Government agency revenue from the sale is Q3Q2XY(this may be shown by annotation of diagram but needs to be labelled or referred to in answer) (1mark).Rejection marks• Option A incorrect since there is a poor harvest that could lead to an excess demand for wheat (1 mark).• Option B incorrect since the agency will sell Q2Q3XY from its stockpile not buy. (1 mark)Note: do not double award if already credited in the explanation.• Option C incorrect since price would increase to P3 ina free market or to a maximum of P2 under the bufferstock scheme. (1 mark).

Externalities:
Definition of welfare gain (the excess of social benefit over social cost for a given quantity) (1mark).• Identification or annotation of diagram to identify welfare gain as area XZY (accept welfare loss)(1 mark).• Identification of the free market equilibrium as pointX or quantity Qe and the social optimum as point Or quantity Q1 (1 mark).• Definition of external benefits: (positive third party effects / benefits external to an exchange/ benefits the price mechanism ignores / benefits outside the market transaction / difference between social benefits and private benefits / positive spillover effects) (1 mark).• Application to vaccinations: welfare gain or external benefits include a reduction in the spread of diseases since more people vaccinated. (1 mark).Rejection marks• Option A incorrect since the social optimum quantity's Q1 or Y which is greater than the free marketquantity Qe or X. (1 mark)Note: do not double award if already credited in the explanation• Option B incorrect since welfare gain is area XZYNote: do not double award if this area has already been credited in the explanation) (1 mark).• Option D incorrect since marginal social cost (X or Pe) is less than marginal social benefit (Z ) (must state the letters) (1 mark).

Some dates may be wrong because its in context of 2012.
(edited 7 years ago)
will any of you going to resit unit 2?
will any of you going to resit unit 2?

Yep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending