The Student Room Group

AQA May 16 2016 Unit 1 Context 1

Hello!

Hope you've all done well!

Has anyone done Context 1 in today's AQA exam?

If so, what did you write in question 02 (the data question with the two significant points of difference in between the two years of the various energy sources)?
Reply 1
Highest percentage for each year and comparing values for renewable energy....wbu
Original post by a jones
Highest percentage for each year and comparing values for renewable energy....wbu

Thanks for the reply!

I said that coal was 36.6% in 2013 as compared to 23% or however much in 2014, a more than 50% decrease in the % makeup of coal's making up of the electricity mix, as coal has been overtaken by Gas as the largest source of elec production, with 35% or so in 2014 from 20% in 2013, an almost 50% increase. (I partially made up the %s in this comment ofc)

And then to make sure I compared how renewable sources made up 13.5% in 2013 as compared to Nuclear energy in 2014 as 20% and then how renewable sources made up 17.5% in 2014 as compared to Nuclear energy's 23.5% in 2013.

So I pretty much jumbled it all up in the hopes of not missing stuff.

I usually do the mistake of comparing the highest with the lowest in these questions, and this question was about two significant differences in between the two different years.

It also seems as though extremely few people have gone for context 1.
Reply 3
Only 3/10 went for context 1 in my skl
Reply 4

Hey
anyone who did context 1, please reply!
what did you write for the 12 marker, the question was something to do with "explain why fracking needs regulation" something along those lines
Also, what did you write for the 25 mark,again something along the lines of "to what extent should markets be encouraged to develop renewable energies"

let me know, hope everyone aces this. Thankssss!

Reply 5
For 12 marker i spoke about external costs, negative externalities, used msc diagram
For 25 marker, i spoke about subsidies and min price for gov intervention. The for free market i referred to extract A saying that renewable energy consumption is increasing in free market, so will provide incentive etc

Wbu?
Reply 6
Original post by a jones
For 12 marker i spoke about external costs, negative externalities, used msc diagram
For 25 marker, i spoke about subsidies and min price for gov intervention. The for free market i referred to extract A
saying that renewable energy consumption is increasing in free market, so will provide incentive etc

Wbu?

Thanks for getting back to me!
To be fair i didnt wrote all of those points. For the 12 marker i wrote without regulation there is possible monopoly threat
For the 25 marker i didwrite about subsidises, but also price max, gov intervention & gov failure
Reply 7
How did you write about price max and gov failure?
Reply 8
Original post by a jones
How did you write about price max and gov failure?

In the extract there was something about consumers being charger high prices, so if govs used max price it could provide lower prices for consumer. I linked it to gov failure as it can unintended consequence/imperfect info etc. What dyu thibk?
Reply 9
Damnnnn forgot about the law of unintended consequences,,,and i didnt see the max part. I saw the part where fossil fuels are underpriced
Original post by a jones
Damnnnn forgot about the law of unintended consequences,,,and i didnt see the max part. I saw the part where fossil fuels are underpriced

peak

Quick Reply

Latest